153 - Create a new Joomla! v 1.5 website for a not for profit organization

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
chitsabesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

153 - Create a new Joomla! v 1.5 website for a not for profit organization

Post by chitsabesh » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:54 am

Hello everyone,

This is my third task. At the request of my school's Special Needs Officer, I'm going to construct a website about learning disabilities aimed at parents of high school students.

I'll update this post with more details soon.

PS: Amy, did you get my e-mail regarding the Joomla! Presentation PM you sent me?
Last edited by mcsmom on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Issue 153: Create a new Joomla! v 1.5 website for a not for profit organizat

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:03 pm

WOW! That is a great, great topic! Ill tell you, as a parent, there is nothing more difficult and heartbreaking than dealing with challenges your kids have. Getting your hands on good information has always been the big help for me. Understanding - and coming up with a plan. That's what you will help enable. Very good use of Joomla! and investment of your time.

That existing site ROCKS!  8)

Yes, I got your presentation material. We have a nice collection that we will soon put together, a long with a comprehensive list of an amazing collection of work that has been accomplished. What a productive and positive group!

Look forward to seeing this site emerge,
Amy :)

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Issue 153: Create a new Joomla! v 1.5 website for a not for profit organizat

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey mate,

Good work! I know for a fact having a brother with a disability school's and organisations like the one you're making a site for aren't promoted very much. At least around here, it's very hard to find somewhere and you literally have to know someone to find a place.

Hopefully this will get them a lot more attention, and I am confident the site you make will be brilliant.

Can't wait to see the result!
MiCCAS.net Free PC Services

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: 153 - Create a new Joomla! v 1.5 website for a not for profit organization

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Chitabesh,

I love the idea for this site.

Have you come up with some concepts yet?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:12 am

Hi Chitabesh,

What's happening with the site? Have you come up with some ideas? Need any feedback?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:25 am

Chitabesh -

Don't forget Sunday is the last day. Even if you really don't have time for this, swing by and let us know if you get a chance. Life gets busy - we certainly understand that!

Amy :)

chitsabesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chitsabesh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 am

Apologies to all. I was caught up with preparation for a swathe of tests in school. I'll be able to show you the site imminently for comments & criticism.

My school's Special Needs officer has provided me with the bulk of the content. I based the site on the wonderful JA_Purity (GPL)template.

The site is largely an information resource on learning disabilities & special education as a whole. It also provides information about how to cater to those with Special Needs in the classroom and the Special Education programme at my school (St. Gabriel's Secondary).
Last edited by chitsabesh on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chitsabesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chitsabesh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:37 pm

The school FTP came back up.

You can view the site at www.stgabss.net/SpecialNeeds/  :D

The presentation is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chitsabesh on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:27 am

Nice work Chitabesh!

Please try to upload your report to google and also write a paragraph there with a summary of what you did and a link to the site.

chitsabesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chitsabesh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:14 am

Done. Had to host the presentation files on the school server. ( Issue attachment storage quota exceeded.)

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:01 am

Wow that looks brilliant!

Well done man!! WELL DONE!!

One small suggestion, would be to have some photos of the students but there are a lot of legal implications as I can understand.

But man, you did an awesome job.
MiCCAS.net Free PC Services

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”