[FEATURE REQUEST] require unique mail yes/no function for users dropped in 1.5

walb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

[FEATURE REQUEST] require unique mail yes/no function for users dropped in 1.5

Post by walb » Sun May 06, 2007 1:31 pm

This is dropped
Require Unique Email: Select Yes to prevent registration with duplicate email addresses. In combination with User activation, this option prevents Users from signing up more than once with the same email address.
Is this still open for decision?

If not, I need to hack
libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php line 174 and on
Because this is an actual situation on 1 of my sites. Users sharing 1 email address

A unique username I understand in full, but not together with an email address
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 07, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: require unique mail yes/no function for users dropped in 1.5

Post by Jinx » Sun May 06, 2007 4:40 pm

Forgot about that one, still open for discussion.
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

Head-e
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Head-e » Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 pm

if two unique user names are sharing a single email adress, then wich account gets the lost password email when requested?

i believe that each user should have unique email, and this is common practice with many other systems
What language is your laughter
What language is your sadness
What language is your joy
~ Stay Human

diri
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by diri » Mon May 07, 2007 6:31 am

Head-e,

how would you accomplish this in case of unique email:

Admin-email: [email protected]
contact-email: [email protected]

I know of many sites where "webmaster" is contact person.

Head-e
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Head-e » Mon May 07, 2007 7:44 am

diri, to clarify a bit more i meant that user    johnqsomebody and jackqsomebody should not both be able to register accounts using the same email adress. It is my understanding that the contact email is set at the time of installation, and is the default admin-email and that this would not be an issue. I could be wrong
What language is your laughter
What language is your sadness
What language is your joy
~ Stay Human

walb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by walb » Mon May 07, 2007 9:03 am

I've no means of enforcing my users to have a  unique username combined with a unique mail. Since my users are mainly belong to a small household having a PC, with 1 mailbox.
Mostly they have little knowledge of a PC and assigning an additional mailbox to their account goes  far beyond their knowledge.
Mostly the PC is readily bought, The ISP helps them to connect to internet and having a mailbox.
If something happens to their configuration, they are completely lost and in panic

These are my registered users  ;D

diri
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by diri » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 am

Walb,

I have a very similar experience when it comes to normal users.

Sad enough one has strong legal obligations over here in Germany to be forced to have a valid contact email when running a company's site at least. This contact does not need to be a superadmin but, email address might be the very same to ensure proper mailflow.

When running a community site with forum and the like your szenario is very valid as well. SiteOp is responsible for postings over here ...  :(

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon May 07, 2007 6:14 pm

As a system admin I would say unique email addresses only. Like Walb said, for some implementations it wouldn't really matter. If done I would make it a configurable option, with 'use unique email' being the default.

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Mon May 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Q&T: Marking as FEATURE REQUEST

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] require unique mail yes/no function for users dropped in 1

Post by Hackwar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:44 pm

This feature still needs to be implemented.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

muppets4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] require unique mail yes/no function for us

Post by muppets4 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:02 pm

Hope this will be implemented, like it was in 1.0.x

Malenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Malenx » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm

I hope they add this as a feature, even better would be a global configuration *and* an over-writing permissions for each user group.

However, for the time being the simple hack of "libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php" will turn it off.

Code: Select all

// check for existing email
		$query = 'SELECT id'
			. ' FROM #__users '
			. ' WHERE email = '. $this->_db->Quote($this->email)
			. ' AND id != '. (int) $this->id
			;
		$this->_db->setQuery( $query );
		$xid = intval( $this->_db->loadResult() );
		/** if ($xid && $xid != intval( $this->id )) {
		*	$this->setError( JText::_( 'WARNREG_EMAIL_INUSE' ) );
		*	return false;
		*}
		*/

Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Peter Clements » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:05 am

I've also come across a situation that will require this as a feature, thanks Malenx for the temporary hack, we may end up having to use that for the time being.

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:11 am

Moderator note; moving from 1.5 Q&T to Wishlist/Feature request

abetterdealforall
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by abetterdealforall » Mon May 05, 2008 2:04 am

The ability to have non-unique email addresses is not a nice option BUT a very real valid requirement.

I have many sites that are targeted at non computer illiterate people ,families and communities which the individuals very very very very often use a shared email address as this is all that they might have access to.

Without this option the base Joomla System becomes unusable!

Can we have some idea of when this facility is going to be reintroduced as it is now a major consideration point as to whether I continue can continue to use this great software. The above hack is great but it adds a unnecessary overhead in the development and future support and upgrade of these sites.

A major amount of time and effort has gone into making this new release simpler and more usable and it would be a major disappointment if something as simple to rectify as this, (and yes, it could be something as supposedly insignificant as this), became a reason why many people stop using this software or never upgraded to it.

Thanks

HostV
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by HostV » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 am

This should definitely be an option open for the user as many friends use this feature for their forum with other softwares to prevent not only spam but also to keep track of unique emails and users in their database properly.
HostV - VPS Hosting - http://www.hostv.com

anisjolly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anisjolly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:39 am

I agree with abetterdealforall!

User should be given the option to choose whether they wish to accept unique emails or not. The final decision stands with them. If they feel that their site requires a unique email - let them set it to that otherwise users who require non-unique emails then that feature can be used by them.

This way everyone has the option to choose the way they would like their users to register rather than users being restricted to a feature they cannot use.

:-\

stephfox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stephfox » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:06 am

This feature removal from vers 1.0.x of Joomla! has caused some issues for us.

The feature is especially useful for us as admins to create a number of user accounts for testing the appearance of the site for various user groups (we use J!User to create custom access priveleges).

But creating a suite of usernames we can check the appearance of our site for a range of user types, and keep all the contact details linked back to a single email account.

I'd like to see this feature re-included in J!1.5.x - I believe it's up to the site admin to determine whether unique registration emails are appropriate for their site.

The default should remain unique email addreses, however it should be an admin configurable feature for individual sites, as it was in v.1.0.x...

Cheers,
S

wrongjon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wrongjon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:52 am

Hi

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if it is possible to switch off unique emails yet in JM 1.5 without hacking?

Is it planned to be an option in new releases?

Thanks
Jonathan

gobezu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gobezu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:09 am

I second earlier requests to have this as an option.
Its simply ridiculous to exclude or in this case remove it just because some don't think its theoretically plausible, when there are practical cases for this to be left.

webjocky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webjocky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 am

please PLEASE please add this feature. I desperately need it!

maxrunout
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by maxrunout » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 am

There's no reason to withhold the ability to register multiple users with the same email address. There are plenty of reasonable situations where each user may not have a unique email address and I would argue that requiring an email address at all is unnecessary, and in the long run, pretty darned "parochial." If Joomla! is to serve a wide range of users and situations, it is important to not limit the application to an elite (in some circles) group of users who have unique email addresses.

All of the objections to multiple users per email address cite functionality that would be confusing, etc, without unique addresses, but in each case, these functions could simply be disabled. For example, you could simply disable the "forgot my password" link.

We too require the ability to create multiple user accounts with a single email address. This is an issue that keeps us on Joomla! 1.0.

Thanks for listening.

simsimon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simsimon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 pm

I also need this feature please ;)

kai920
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by kai920 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks to Malenx for the workaround.

welldressedmatt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by welldressedmatt » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:43 am

Is this issue still being considered? I have implemented the workaround listed here, but is it safe? I have also implemented the following a few lines before:

/*if ((trim($this->email) == "") || ! JMailHelper::isEmailAddress($this->email) ) {
* $this->setError( JText::_( 'WARNREG_MAIL' ) );
* return false;
*}
*/

So that I can have users with BLANK emails. I have a community site with many members who do not have email. For my needs this is fine, but I see why it may not be ideal for many users. It does seem that the option to go either way would be preferable.

Am I causing any headaches down the road if I keep these two workarounds in place?

-Matt

amhazing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amhazing » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:12 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys for the two hacks above. For those of you who jump to the end of the thread for the answer I've reposted a summary of hacks below as a thank you (with a little bit of clarification):

First Hack from Malenex to make it possible to not require a unique email address when registering in Joomla 1.5 repeated below:

File to edit is: "libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php"
At line 174:

// check for existing email
      $query = 'SELECT id'
         . ' FROM #__users '
         . ' WHERE email = '. $this->_db->Quote($this->email)
         . ' AND id != '. (int) $this->id
         ;
      $this->_db->setQuery( $query );
      $xid = intval( $this->_db->loadResult() );
      /** if ($xid && $xid != intval( $this->id )) {
      *   $this->setError( JText::_( 'WARNREG_EMAIL_INUSE' ) );
      *   return false;
      *}
      */
Thanks then to welldressedmatt for the work around to allow blank email which is as follows:

Same file: "libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php"
at line: 157

/*if ((trim($this->email) == "") || ! JMailHelper::isEmailAddress($this->email) ) {
* $this->setError( JText::_( 'WARNREG_MAIL' ) );
* return false;
*}
*/
Both these hacks are simply commenting out an existing section of code in the user.php file that does the verification checks.

ISSUE:
Now what I'm about to check is the impact on the password recovery functionality which is why this optoin isn't allowed in the default install :)

i.e. if two users have the same email which one will the password recovery token go to? (if it goes at all)

WHY NEEDED:
It's pretty obvious guys that this feature is required (there are a bunch of posts out there about it). It's been on the forums since the first release of 1.5 - so not sure why it hasn't been sorted out. There are heaps of instances where users don't have unique email addresses but are different users (for testing, for Not for profits, for schools and tafes etc).

In my instance I need the facility so that I can simplify the Virtuemart shopping process so that users can skip the email step (use phone contact instead or when entering in a phone order on behalf of a user who doesn't own a computer at all but you want the order in the same system as everything else)..

Thanks to the guys with the contributions above - hopefully they'll solve the problem (will post if they don't)

regards,

HL

maxrunout
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by maxrunout » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:55 am

The question here is this: Is Joomla! supposed to be limited to handling web sites that are:
[*]serving a collection of individual people
[*]each with unique email addresses
[*]who are allowed to create their own accounts and reset their own passwords
...or should the scope be larger?

Unique email addresses are arguably only necessary for user-self-registration with email verification, and for password reset. It's possible to set up Joomla without either of these capabilities and there are plenty of situations where neither of these capabilities are appropriate.

For a site that does not allow users to self-register, and does not allow users to reset their own passwords, it is not necessary to require email addresses at all, and even more unnecessary to require unique addresses.

This is simply a question about what's Jooma! supposed to be used for. Will it be limited to a specific set of usage options or will it be configurable to use for a wider set of applications? This seems like a no brainer to me.

Ducimus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ducimus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:44 am

Just a note... in my user.php file (J!1.5), the required email hack is at line 313 and the unique email hack is at line 353
Proof that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing • Certified Coding Dummy

gulloom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gulloom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:24 am

I also need it.

Here is my case.

Running joomla 1.5.9 , I am using community builder to run list of Tennis Club member which include dad, mom and kids.
Each member has its own profile.
Although we are living in a modern world. I can assure you that not everyone cares about having an email adress. And a kid of 6 mostly doesn't have one yet. So it's a problem.

I have solved the problem setting dummy emails and modifying the email in the db, but if I can have a clean solution in another version. I'll be pleased. Until then I am going to use the hack.

I have read something concerning the case if one email adress is used by more than one user, how do you get the password for a specific user, in case this one is lost. If they are using the same adress, they allow eachother to share the information concerning the password as well. So an email would be sent with all users and their password.

I hope the developper consider this case.

Grey_Sheep
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Grey_Sheep » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi,

I'd like to add a vote for the allow duplicate email address for much the same reason. We have a sailing club where families often share the same email address, so it would be a real advantage if the developers could put this back in as an option.

Thanks

Jan

Return to “Feature Requests - White Papers - Archived”