[42]Mod_content replaces (almost) all com_content modules

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

[42]Mod_content replaces (almost) all com_content modules

Post by Hackwar » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:22 am

1. Introduction
1.1 Scope
The scope of this document is a first draft of a COM_Content listing module for Joomla! 1.6.
1.2 Objective of the document
The object of this document is to give a basis for a discussion on a COM_Content listing module for Joomla! 1.6.
1.3 General remarks
If this module is implemented, the JParameter change should be implemented, too, since otherwise the parameters would become very confusing.
1.4 Definitions
1.5 License
GNU GPL
2. What is the issue requiring the listing module?
We currently have 5 modules which only return a list of links and all use data from com_content. The difference between the different modules is marginal and basically is just a different SQL query. To make this simpler, these 5 modules should be replaced by one module which has all the same functionality. This saves code and makes the user interface more intuitive.
3. What are the proposed improvements?
With this module we would replace mod_archive, mod_latestnews, mod_mostread, mod_related_items and mod_sections. Together with the proposed improvements to JParameter the parameter set for this module would not be more complicated than currently. We could enhance the module to also show a list of categories.
4. Technical realisation
The new module allows for 6 different modi: Archive, Latest, Most Read, Related Items, Sections, Categories. Each of these modi represents one type of SQL query and returns the titles and links to these items, which then get listed in the module like its done until now. An additional option should be to be able to show an excerpt from the text as a tooltip. With the changes to JParameter we would always only have those options active which are really necessary to the user.
The options for the different modi:
  • General settings:
    • Module CSS suffix
    • Number of items to display
    • Show excerpt from text (This would get the first 100 to 150 characters and show them as a tooltip)
    • Type of content to be shown
    • Caching
  • Section mode:
    • Show Unauthorized links
  • Category mode:
    • Section
    • Show Unauthorized links
  • Archive mode:
    • No further settings
  • Most read mode:
    • Section
    • Category
    • Show Frontpage Items
  • Latest News mode:
    • Section
    • Category
    • Filter by Author
    • Show Frontpage Items
    • Filter by Author
  • Related Items mode:
    • Show date
5. Intention
The intention is to clean up the system, group similar functionalities together and to make the interfaces simpler. In this case, it would help to clean up the module manager and clear up the interface for the users. On the side of the system, we would have less files and less code to pay attention to.
6. Effects on ...
6.1 Users
Users would have to replace the modules on their site with this new module. This could mean a series of complications, but it could also be done automatically by a script during upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6.
6.2 3P extensions
There should be no effect on third party extensions.
6.3 Performance
There should be no negative effect on the performance.
mod_list_0_1_hannes.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Stian
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Mod_content replaces (almost) all com_content modules

Post by Stian » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Great idea! I use the Latest News module alot, and really miss some more parameteres, such as show/hide introtext, publishdate, author etc. By adding these it would be much more usefull then just the title of each article.

Stian

Stian
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Stian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Perhaps this one could replace mod_custom as well? Today the user have to edit the module, and this is an extra step for novice users. My clients ALWAYS ask "How can I edit that textbox on the right?". If this was a regular article things would be more easy. The new module would need the options/parameters to show single article and fulltext.

Stian

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:22 am

Please don't replace mod_custom with this. It would mean a big performance loss and it wouldn't really help you much, except that the user will more easily find it.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Stian
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Stian » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 am

I didn't know that, Hackwar. Could you provide a brief explanation?

Stian

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:58 am

mod_custom is there specifically so you don't have to create an article. It's basically a shortcut to placing text on the page without going to a lot of trouble. The custom modules are also not searchable. If you did it, or many as articles you end up with this mash that is technically content but only really for display purposes. I can also serve as a "Something will go here" when you are setting up a template for a client.

I don't know that I've explained that terribly well but mod_custom does fulfill a very important role, quite distinct from an article (com_content) listing module.

Consolidating the other modules - I'm all for that. The only thing that I would think about though, is if the "super" module becomes too overloaded with parameters to cover all the possible cases. If it does I would break it into two. The one exception, or maybe incorrectly grouped module I see is mod_related_items. I personally feel this is serving a specific purpose that is distinct from listing articles in general.

The other thing you need to consider is the ability to override. If you roll all modules into one, then the template designer only has one opportunity to override. Now, having said that, I actually have a nifty combo-list control that looks in the active template for "extra" layout overrides. I've found this particularly useful when doing client sites. My custom module need only have a "suggested" way to present the data, but in my template override folder, I can put a half dozen different overrides to achieve different effects.

If that sounds interesting I can tell you more about it and maybe it could be included within the scope of this proposal?
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:11 am

Sure Andrew, add away. ;)

Concerning the parameters: The idea was to use the other proposal for JParameter to significantly reduce the amount of parameters and only show those that are really needed. This JParameter change with the conditional parameters is most likely the most important proposal, I made so far for me. http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=500&t=265594

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:57 am

In terms of content modules, there is a very nice ghop module called ghop categories. It solves many problems including allowing a list of categories within a section to be linked to category blog layouts, which is a very commonly requested display but painful to implement within com_content.

One way or another, I think a module with this functionality should be included in 1.6.

Custom module is a totally different issue.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Stasys
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: [42]Mod_content replaces (almost) all com_content modules

Post by Stasys » Sun May 04, 2008 2:09 pm

problem with the “Popular” (”Most Read Content”, mos_mostread) module. There some articles are located, and everyone click on them. As a result these articles do not leave from “popular”, and new articles don’t appear here. It is vicious circle. One of solutions is to show popular news for the last NNN days. The “Popular of late” module based on the original “Popular” module and have one additional parameter only - the period of “novelty”.

Can you update core and include this parameter ???
Lithuanian Joomla! Community http://www.lithuanianjoomla.com
lietuviškas Joomla! puslapis, naujienos, straipsniai, forumas, vertimai
always be open source, and be free as freedom

perandre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: [42]Mod_content replaces (almost) all com_content modules

Post by perandre » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 am

I really like the idea. In the long run, it could perhaps expand into something like the famous (non-core) Views module in Drupal; a module for displaying organized lists/views of whatever's on your site (including content from 3rd party extensions).

Return to “Accepted - Archived”