CLOSING DATE 25 MARCH

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

CLOSING DATE 25 MARCH

Post by masterchief » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:37 am

Just letting everyone know that the closing date for papers to be in a reasonable condition for review is approaching. After the 25 March we will be starting to move topics around for review - so make sure you get your 2c worth of opinion in on your favourite topics.

Please don't panic if you see threads being merged and such - it's just to help us process what I think is a fantastic response to this new initiative. Also don't be discouraged if your paper or idea doesn't get picked for 1.6, it might just make a later release or we might run with the idea but in a different way ... we'll see what happens.

1.6 is planned to be made up of a small number of large changes (and before you ask, yes, ACL is one of them) and "a lot" of little things (we'll see how much we can squeeze in while we are tearing our hair out trying to make the ACL work). Time frame is currently unknown but we'd like to keep it less than a four month cycle if at all possible (shorter would be better if we can pull it off).

Overall I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has responded for getting behind us on this. It's pretty exciting for us to be looking at actually adding new stuff again rather than just fixing things.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: CLOSING DATE 25 APRIL

Post by willebil » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:44 am

Let me second Andrew here, the feedback and discussion going on here is very inspiring, even when it is that much as it is now ;-)

Stasys
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: CLOSING DATE 25 MARCH

Post by Stasys » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:08 am

Maybe it should be sticked on top?
Lithuanian Joomla! Community http://www.lithuanianjoomla.com
lietuviškas Joomla! puslapis, naujienos, straipsniai, forumas, vertimai
always be open source, and be free as freedom

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Today is the 25th of march... are you closing the reply button in the forum? Are you stopping other new contributions in the forum? What's going on? May we continue to...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:59 pm

We are currently scanning all posts. So far we identified 115 white papers. Posts that refer to the same issue are merged if possible, and then we try to determine what will be the focus for 1.6. We will send out more information when we have ordered all the incoming information (bit overwhelming, but we're happy with that).

We are not going to close down this section, people can go on with writing down proposals and discuss them. Please keep in mind that we expect white papers here, and not one liners because we consider those as feature requests.

Hope this answers your questions.

cutie_tech123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cutie_tech123 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:56 am

Are you closing your reply button?

Mod note: Removed self-promotion.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 am

well, about "CLOSING DATE 25 MARCH" ? Today is the 15th of april.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

newart wrote:well, about "CLOSING DATE 25 MARCH" ? Today is the 15th of april.
Let's not beat around the bush. The question you are really asking is "is there any news?" :P

We've got a *very* big spreadsheet, and a heap of people have scored papers and made recommendations etc (takes each person about 4-5 hours to do all the papers). We are up to the point of looking at what's definitely "in" and what's definitely "out" and then we embark on the process of what to do with the bit in between. No surprises for what the number one thing will be :)
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:36 am

very well and thank you vm for yr reply - we have a good white paper list to view

Scrat4immer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Scrat4immer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:55 pm

So far so good :D
Got any news for us? It's been a while now ;)

greetz
Scrat4immer

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:04 am

Toon-c
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toon-c » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:27 pm

newart wrote:latest news on http://developer.joomla.org/
ok , so we contribute with comments over there ..
no more ideas accepted now ? (sorry I'm new in here and want to contribute ..)

thanks for answering.
Toon.
Find Household tips, pet tips, internet tips and a lot more at:
http://www.youtips.net
http://tipsguru.wordpress.com/

mergen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mergen » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 am

What's the time frame for 1.6 release? Even a very rough and very safe date or estimate will be fine.

We want to know if we should develop an extension that MAY get addressed in 1.6.

BTW, I did search for information on this, I just did not find anything in nearly 15/20min of search

Thanks
Mergen, Founder, WebGuru Co Ltd
Follow me on Twitter: @MergenChuluun @webguruco
Internet Marketing Blog: http://webguru-co.com/blog
SEF Joomla, Joomla 1.5 SEO Services: http://webguru-co.com/sef-joomla-seo

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:40 pm

feldon27
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by feldon27 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm checking out the video and PDF. Hope they're linked on Developer.Joomla.org soon.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 pm

feldon27 wrote:I'm checking out the video and PDF. Hope they're linked on Developer.Joomla.org soon.
as far as I know it isn't up to now

nickweavers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nickweavers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 pm

I grabbed a copy of Joomla 1.6 alpha from svn and was wondering if there is or will be a forum for feedback? If there is and I have missed it, my apologies for spamming this one and please feel free to move this to its rightful home.

Like all of us, I was eager to see how the new ACL control would work and how intuitively it would be presented. This was my experience so far:

I wanted to create a group called employees for a website to be used as a front and back office for a company. The employees parent is the group registered. Under employees I want to make different menus visible to different classes of employees so I created subgroups of regular (who should for instance be able to fill in time sheets, and availability sheets), office (for office admin who will book regular employees who are available onto jobs) and manager (for managers who would want visibility of what is going on via reports, and to be able to register employees as regular, office or manager). The first problem I got was that it said there was already a group called manager, so it looks like the group names have to be unique regardless of whether the are subgroups, which is not a natural fit with the real world. A bit like a programming language with no variable scoping. Can that easily be changed?

Next I created a new module called regular for one of the menus I wanted to present to the group called regular (offering time sheets and availability forms), but I could not figure out how to restrict a menu to be shown to that group since it only seemed to allow me to specify an acl level. Surely the acl level should be used in conjunction with a group to grant a particular level of access by people in that group to whatever object you are classifying? Could be I am suffering paradigm misalignment here so forgive me if I don't "get it" and please put me straight.

The next question I have is, if I install my own custom component, will I also be able to classify access to that with a group and acl? (I know I'm jumping the gun here and should really have just created a small dummy component install zip to try it, but it would be nice to know).

Thanks to whoever is listening, and all your hard work is really appreciated. Lets go kill us a Drupal! Lol

Nick

PS. I'm using TortoiseSVN and wondered if anyone could tell me how to configure it so that I exclude the installation subdirectory so that I don't have to keep deleting it. (Am I running any risk of missing anything new being set up if I don't periodically run this, like a new database table or table column for example?)

nickweavers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nickweavers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Should have watched the video posted by @newart. Things are much clearer to me now on the ACL/groups/users relationships.

Thanks for posting that link @newart.

Return to “Feature Requests - White Papers - Archived”