Some Kind of Permalink

fifthhouse
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Some Kind of Permalink

Post by fifthhouse » Fri May 01, 2009 4:26 am

I am a relative newbie so please excuse my non technical language.

I would like to see Joomla have the capability for some kind of permalink. I recently started a joomla site and then discovered that when I moved my articles from one category to another the old link came up 404.

For me this is a big problem because as my site evolves and as the needs of my users evolve I will need to be moving and rearranging content and categories on an ongoing basis. Without some kind way for those links to stay alive I'll lose valuable search engine rankings for any articles I move.

That is my request - wish - hope, that Joomla have a way to do this.

Many many thanks to everyone who is working and who has worked so hard over the years to make this amazing software available for free.

Britta Leuchner
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Some Kind of Permalink

Post by Britta Leuchner » Wed May 13, 2009 2:10 pm

clean the cache and watch interactions with other extensions. if you change category of articles, joomla normally wise has no problem with new links. there seems to be another issue ...
http://www.digidog.de | graphics art work, design, post production, motion pictures, web scenarios, cms and framework implementation

fifthhouse
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fifthhouse » Wed May 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for your response to my post. Yes your right, i finally figured that out :)
The problem though I discovered is in the menu rather than the category. Once you move an article from one category to another, it's the menu for the new category that creates the new url for that article, which for the way my site is structure, amounts to the same thing.

I am solving this by being more clear about my site navigation structure, so that I can avoid making too many moves from one category to another in the long run.

Best wishes.

Britta Leuchner
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Britta Leuchner » Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 pm

:) well - categories are not the strongest part of joomla. I think if you need more flex in handling groups of articles you should try out some extension in the near of directory tools and article tag menues or something similar ... thanks for your reply even after solving it by yourself ;)
http://www.digidog.de | graphics art work, design, post production, motion pictures, web scenarios, cms and framework implementation

fifthhouse
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fifthhouse » Wed May 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Cheers. I appreciate your help.

Return to “Feature Requests - White Papers - Archived”