Turkish Trademark Situation

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Turkish Trademark Situation

Post by mcsmom » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 pm

I know that many people are concerned about the Joomla! trademark in Turkey. Therefore, I want to give you the best information about the situation that I can.

Currently there are two applications related to the Joomla! trademark in Turkey on file at the Turkish patent office http://online.tpe.gov.tr (14835 and 18651). We at OSM have been closely following these since the time at which they were filed. We have legal counsel in Turkey. Neither of these is approved. In one instance the process has reached the point at which Open Source Matters could file an objection to the registration, and we have done so.

I want to assure all members of the Joomla Turkish community that Open Source Matters will take whatever actions are necessary to ensure that the Joomla! trademark is protected for the use of the worldwide Joomla! Project and that the reputation of the brand and project are not harmed in any way by misuse. That means that if needed we will take legal action to make sure that the name and logo do not fall into private hands. Of course we would prefer it if the matters were just settled without requiring this, but we will protect the project however that needs to be done.

One way you can help us is by documenting any early uses of Joomla! in Turkey. Especially useful is evidence of businesses selling Joomla services or using Joomla websites, any meetings about Joomla that took place in Turkey, or any printed matter. We may also need affidavits from people about their use of Joomla early in the project's life. If you have anything like that, please feel free to contact me via the forum pm system.

I will update you when new information becomes available.

Thank you for all your work for Joomla.

-----

Birçok insanın Türkiye'de Joomla! markasının akıbetini merak ettiğinin bilincindeyim. Bu sebeple şu anda durum hakkında elimde olan tüm bilgileri özetlemek istedim.

Şu anda Türkiye Patent Enstitüsü'nde (http://online.tpe.gov.tr) 14835 ve 18651 numaralarıyla Joomla! markasına dair iki başvuru bulunmakta. Open Source Matters olarak başvuru tarihinden beri bunları izlemekteyiz. Türkiye'de hukuki temsilcimiz de bulunmaktadır. Şu anki iki başvuru da onaylanmadı. Başvurulardan birinde Open Source Matters kuruluşunun itiraz hakkının olduğu seviyeye gelindiğinde itirazımızı gerçekleştirdik.

Türkiye'deki Joomla! topluluğuna belirtmek isterim ki Open Source Matters, Joomla! markasını tüm dünyada projemizin kullanımı için korumaktadır ve bu uğurda markamızın zarar görmemesi için gereken tüm tedbirler alınacaktır. Dolayısıyla eğer gerekirse isim ve logomuzun 3. kişilerce kullanılmasını engellemek için gereken tüm hukuki işlemleri göze alacağız. Tabi ki arzumuz bu seviyeye gelmeden olayların çözülmesidir ancak projemizi korumak için her şeyi de göze alacağız.

Bize bu hususta yardım etmenizin yollarına gelirsek Joomla! isminin geçmişte Türkiye'deki kullanımları çok yardımcı olacaktır. Joomla! hizmetleri satan veya Joomla! siteleri oluşturan ticari kurumlar, Türkiye'de Joomla! konulu gerçekleşmiş toplantılar veya kitap, dergi gibi her türlü basılı materyal özellikle yardımcı olacaktır. Aynı zamanda Joomla!'yı projenin ilk yıllarında kullanan insanlardan bu kullanımı beyan eden yazılara ihtiyacımız olabilir. Eğer bu tarz bir belgeye erişiminiz varsa veya yazmayı düşünürseniz lütfen forum üzerinden özel mesaj yoluyla benle iletişime geçmekten çekinmeyiniz.

Bu konuda yeni bir bilgi olduğunda tekrar güncelleme yayınlayacağım.

Joomla!'ya katkılarınız için hepinize teşekkürler.

Thank you Ercan for translating.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Return to “Turkish Forum”