Custom Content Layout Debugging

Google Summer of Code 2008 discussion forum
cheresources
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Custom Content Layout Debugging

Post by cheresources » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 pm

I've installed the first beta and made a content type, category, and then tried to base an article off of the new type. The article throws an error:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/cheresou/public_html/beta/administrator/components/com_cfm/views/article/tmpl/default.php on line 69

See attached screenshots

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kadded
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Custom Content Layout Debugging

Post by kadded » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 am

Errors:
-------

Typo:
When adding field type, choosing picture type, typo 'Timbnail'.

Article Layout: when adding/editing from backend the layout gives the following result:
Add edit article back-end.tiff
Viewing article (article layout) front-end:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$field_value in /home/sarah34/public_html/judo/plugins/cfm_fields/text.php on line 38

How come there is only a category and article edit and not a eg section?

Where can one css the different fields of the particular category/article?
I suppose this component is not integrated with the core articles?

Feature Requests:
---------------------

Article submission front-end: is there a way to create a front-end article submission? Most useful since it allows non-technical people to simply fill in the fields, submit it and done. This way a webmaster allows the full control over article content, and still holds on to the layout. And it is way easier to create a link like 'add article' for those people who know nothing about design.
Would it also be possible to create 'mandatory' fields? And for those fields who are left blank (and are allowed to be left blank), to 'not show' them?
Is it possible to create 'dynamic' url links? Say one wants to add multiple links (sometimes 1, sometimes 10), to create a 'add another url'?

Would it be possible to upload mp3 or flv? Possibly integration with AVR (allvideos reloaded)? Can it be done to automatically insert the picture when uploaded (without explicitely add it to the field)?

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amagdy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Amagdy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:52 am

Hi cheresources,

Sounds good, but are there an expected release date.

I considered your component as a solution to a problem I'm facing but not sure about the release date, can you help me clarify that

Thanks a lot,
Abdo
To follow the path, look to the master,
follow the master, walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master

designguru
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by designguru » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Whoa... I'm super excited about this project and eager to review whatever work's been done on it... Funny, i just posted a msg in the forums (http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=471&t=320856) about the whole concept of extending com_content with inspiration from Drupal's CCK...

Please drop me a line if you need BETA testers or want to feedback on ideas. We've been using CCK for a few years @ Design Guru and I'm up for writing up a post about 'Custom Content Layout' on http://www.whyjoomla.com as soon as its somewhat stable.

q./
Qasim Virjee - Principal, Design Guru
http://www.whyjoomla.comhttp://www.plantseedling.com
(web production & joomla advocacy firm based in Toronto, Canada)

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Just a few quick questions.

When will this project code be available its not on google code, and its been removed from the blog post pending review. Any updates on what is happening and why the code was removed?

Also does this play with the core content or does it create its own content articles/sections like all the other current components that are trying to accomplish this CCK type thing.

thnkx
Paul

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Unfortunately this project was not completed and will not be made available. There was another, similar SoC project that I would invite you to check out. The blog is at: http://developer.joomla.org/gsoc2008/co ... ement.html

Ian

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:15 pm

HI Ian,

Thanks for the update :)

Im looking for something that uses the core content tables and system, and this seemed to be the only one that did that.

I guess I will have to wait on a solution or roll my own. The only way I can think of doing that is through a editor-xtd button.

Paul

Amagdy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Amagdy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi Paul,

No, there is a closed beta component that extends the com_content, If you've got 45 minutes check it here:
http://www.bohacek.de/b01-joomla-blog/b ... start.html

Good Luck

Regards,
Abdo
see through the master,
become the master

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks for the link, I will contact the dev about beta access. A component that interfaces with the core content without hacking the core seems pretty good.

thanks for the heads up
Paul

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:35 pm

I watched the video for Bcontent (in english) and I have to say I am might impressed. YOu still have to access the content through their component, but it does insert into the normal content tables etc too which is great.

If the joomla core added the ability to add plugins/boxes whatever you want to call them into the consertina type boxes on the right of the content area (where meta data, dates etc are all set). This component basically is com content but with the extra box on the side. Its very impressive work.

again thanks for the heads up

Amagdy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Amagdy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:37 pm

You're welcome.

If you've got some time and interested to Beta Test it you can Email the developer. You'll find the Email on the site.

Good Luck

Abdo
see through the master,
become the master

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Yep I have already emailed the dev, but had no response yet. I had a look at their requirements and fill everyone, so hopefully I can help to test it, and provide some good feedback.

Fingers crossed they sign me up. Just a shame the site is in German I cant really follow the blog at the moment LOL.

Anomia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Anomia » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:27 am

ianmac wrote:Unfortunately this project was not completed and will not be made available. There was another, similar SoC project that I would invite you to check out. The blog is at: http://developer.joomla.org/gsoc2008/co ... ement.html

Ian
Does this just mean that the reviewers felt that it wasn't "Production-ready", or was there another reason?

In other words, is there any issue with the code that mean that someone shouldn't grab it via SVN and work on it??

(I find that this still works for me:)

Code: Select all

svn checkout http://joomlacode.org/svn/gsoc2008/JContentLayout ./

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:43 am

There were licensing issues with the code.

Ian

stell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by stell » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi hotnuts21,
im the dev of bContent and im afraid your bContent closed beta approval ... is gone, sorry.
If you are still interested please drop me a message here or per mail.
Version 0.9.3 is nearly ready with stuff like integrating bContent fields in all standard joomla views (article, blog category, blog section, etc.). We just finished a bContent based project and it realy did well.
New input is always welcome, hope to hear from you!

cu, stell

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:01 pm

HI Stell,

I will PM you as soon as I have finished writing this, all excited now :)

I had an idea and this is for anyone creating a content type item. I noticed that most if not all are using either their own cat/contents system or hooking into the core, but still using their own interface to actually input the contents and get the custom content fields to appear.

Well I had brainwave that may or may not work, but hey its worth a shot. Basically most people would prefer to be able to use the standard joomla content system to write their articles, so we need to put our custom fields in the sliding boxes at the site which hold meta data, dates etc. These boxes are created from an xml file in the content component, so why not use the xml parser built into joomla, to add your own box the bottom or top of this list, so it appears in normal content without having to physically hack the core. Just a thought!

stell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by stell » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi hotnut,
well exactly this is why i created bContent. Our (i guess most) customers are used to the article manager. So expanding it was the way to go for us. Joomla custom content developement is talked of everywhere atm. There are many interesting solutions out there, but it all depends on the evolvement of the Joomla content structure itself.
We are pleased with bContent and use it in real projects. The customers like it because its so simple (once set up).

Extending the XML files is imo not enough for what we need. I put some screenshot inside, so take a look.
First picture shows editing an article, second creating a field with new layout options.

I got your closed beta request!

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:25 am

Any update on bContent

stell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by stell » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:24 am

Hi aravot,
we are working on 0.9.4. Looks like 0.9.3 is working well (template generation, category blog and section blog support, etc.). There are not that much bug items. If youre interested in testing 0.9.3 please feel free to join the closed beta team and post some bugs or feature requests.

jackprobe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackprobe » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi Stell,

I'm new ... can bContent do something like 'SubCategory' ?
Can it works also with Joomfish & JaclPlus ?
May I have it for testing locally at my linux box ?

Thanks.
Best Regards,
- Jack -

stell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by stell » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Jack,
please check the email i send you.

rahulbaba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rahulbaba » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 am

Ok watching this thread since start and waiting some smart thing coming out. Also this can be a more demanding request from people those use joomla for bigger solutions. Seems there should be an enterprise version for this kinda request? LOL anyway my thanks to all those putting efforts and waiting for this baby(ies) coming out

rexkramer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Custom Content Layout Debugging | beta and frontend

Post by rexkramer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:18 am

stell wrote:Hi hotnut,
well exactly this is why i created bContent. Our (i guess most) customers are used to the article manager. So expanding it was the way to go for us. ...

... I got your closed beta request!
Frontend:
Are there new frontend-features as well? I mean, can i see and submit the additional bContent fields?

closed beta:
is it still available? I wrote two emails... but it seems i can´t get through...
At the moment i am experimenting with JS resources, JX catalog, custom items&pages. I have serveral projects in mind, which could be discribed as a hybrid of a directory/community. I love joomla, i am not a hc-programmer, but i definitly need to extend the base system ;-)

TIA!

Return to “Google Summer of Code 2008”