SEF URLs and Multiple Web Link Category Menu Items

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: SEF URLs and Multiple Web Link Category Menu Items

Post by jorhett » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:11 am

AmyStephen wrote:Good. You sound very bright. I look forward to your patch.

Too bad this isn't a bug.
You just thrive on being rude don't you?

Regardless of your incorrect assertations, this is a repeatable and demonstrable bug.

It's too bad that you speak for Joomla, as you bring it down.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 am

AmyStephen wrote:Good. You sound very bright. I look forward to your patch.

Too bad this isn't a bug.
I would like to thank you for helping. I really wish you would stop making assertations like this that don't back up. Even better if you didn't go so far out of your way to be rude to someone who is trying to help.

I just created a fresh Joomla instance. Made two web categories (no other content) and replicated the bug. 2 minutes to replicate.

This is a bug *not* related to duplicate content, and acts exactly as originally reported. Could you please consider losing the oh so very evident attitude problem and escalate this matter to someone interested in solving problems in Joomla?
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

Stevetm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stevetm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 am

I agree with Jorhett and I was able to replicate the bug as well.

/Steve

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:47 pm

I don't like how this thread is going so...
Let me show you what is happening to me.
I decided it's better to send you to a site so you can get some hands on; I fully explain this issue with images and links.
This is a fresh install with only the content that demo's this problem.
http://www.theholidaycalendar.com/

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 am

jflesher -

Your version of PHP is fine. Yes, you are showing the bug. The way you clearly documented the steps to recreate the bug are appreciated!

Would you like to test apply this patch and see if the developer's patch addresses this?

When you are done, would you please report your findings on the Bug Report? (You'll have to get an ID on JoomlaCode to post.)

Hope that helps,
Amy :)

PS - If you have trouble applying a patch, let me know and I'll create a replacement file for you.

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for getting back so soon.

The version in 1.5.6 was 10381
The version in SVN is 10752
The version in the patch you linked to was 10701 to 11579
SVN log shows version 10381, 10711, 10752
You must work from a different SVN then the public one; or I'm missing thing

I have conflicts I’m not sure how to resolve since I don’t know what 10701 looked like; do you have a patch for one of the versions in the public SVN?

I tried to resolve them; but must have missed something; the links work but the SEF didn't work; I'll try to play with the router file in the mean time.

After I resolve all the changes I have 10752; if this is correct it didn't fix anything.
I added a follow up to confirm that this patch is already in SVN before I continue.

Thanks for letting me know where to look.

Thanks

Jeff

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:17 pm

I found that the problem is that this foreach loop doesn't work right; it grabs the first item if it's it or not; I don't know what the author had in mind so I started from scratch and looked only at what I thought needed to be done.

Do we have an open bug report for this issue? The one above was for the Contact Module; this is a separate issue.

This is my hack to fix this issue; I replaced the foreach loop with the following code.

Code: Select all

if (!$itemid)
{
    /* Replace this foreach loop

foreach ($items as $item)
     {
        if (isset($query['view']) && $query['view'] == 'weblink' && isset($item->query['view']) 
        && $item->query['view'] == 'category' && isset($item->query['id']) && isset($query['catid']) 
        && $query['catid'] == $item->query['id'])
        {
                    // This menu item links to the weblink view but we need to append the weblink id to it.
                    $itemid     = $item->id;
                    $segments[] = isset($query['catalias']) ? $query['catid'].':'.$query['catalias'] : $query['catid'];
                    $segments[] = isset($query['alias']) ? $query['id'].':'.$query['alias'] : $query['id'];
                    break;
        }
        elseif (isset($query['view']) && $query['view'] == 'category' && isset($item->query['view']) 
        && $item->query['view'] == 'category' && isset($item->query['id']) && isset($query['id']) 
        && $item->query['id'] != $query['id'])
        {
            // This menu item links to the category view but we need to append the category id to it.
            $itemid        = $item->id;
            $segments[]    = isset($query['alias']) ? $query['id'].':'.$query['alias'] : $query['id'];
            break;
        }
    }

*/
 // With this loop
  if (isset($query['id']))
  {
     // I used a for loop; for some reason the foreach was exiting first run in my debugger
     for ($i = 0; $i < count($items); $i++)
      {
         // I convert it to an $item here
          $item = $items[$i];
         // This parses out the $item->link and looks for an id and compares it to the $query['id']
          if ((strpos($item->link, '&id=') ? substr($item->link, strpos($item->link, '&id=') + 4) : '') == $query['id'])
          {
              // This menu item links to the category view but we need to append the category id to it.
              $itemid        = $item->id;
              $segments[]    = isset($query['alias']) ? $query['id'].':'.$query['alias'] : $query['id'];
              break;
          }
      }
  }

} // end if (!$itemid)
Sorry about the formatting; I updated my test page so you can look at it there; I also made a download available.
http://www.theholidaycalendar.com/
Jeff

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Today I'm going to pick this code apart and see how its suppose to work; I can't leave you with a hack; it solves only part of the problem. I'm posting this to let you know I'm still working on it and the last hack was by no means the end; but a start. I'll keep you up to date.

UPDATE:
I tested out this function and now believe it to be a fix and not a hack at this point; it still needs to be tested in 4.3, 4.4 and 5.0; I only test in 5.1 and 5.2 of PHP.

I update the download and posted the full version for view at http://www.theholidaycalendar.com/routerphp.html
I need someone to test it; then pass it on to the author of the original code to see if they can use any of it to fix this bug.

Jeff Flesher

Paddy Landau
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Paddy Landau » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 am

As far as I can tell, the bugs reported in 11878 and 12150 are similar, possibly with the same root cause.

The bug definitely exists. I also reported this in thread 318702 before I managed to discover this thread. I've explained there exactly how to reproduce the problem; please let me know if I've correctly understood it as the same bug.

Paddy

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:02 pm

Yes this seems to be the same bug.
Can you test Fix for the router.php to see if it solves your problem?
You can download the zip file at this link http://theholidaycalendar.com/download/router.zip
First rename you router.php in components\com_weblinks folder
Then unzip the new one and Copy it to components\com_weblinks
I think this should solve your problem; let me know so I can report this to the bug reports you have indicated.
Thanks
Jeff

Paddy Landau
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Paddy Landau » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm

jflesher wrote:I think this should solve your problem; let me know so I can report this to the bug reports you have indicated.
Thank you, Jeff, that works a treat. :)

Bear in mind that I have only two web link categories, so I haven't tested it with three or more.

Paddy

dcuozzo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dcuozzo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for your work on this fix. It's corrected my problem too. I now have weblinks referenced from both a mainmenu and top menu with no problems.

Thanks Paddy for pursuing this and sharing your progress via the forum!

Thank you!

Dave

rootwiley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rootwiley » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:29 am

I have a lot to do on the site this weekend, but assuming the other stuff goes well, I'll get this up too and see if it works. From all the feedback so far, I'm looking forward to finally getting a great fix to this. Thanks to all of you who've worked so hard on this.

rootwiley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rootwiley » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:53 am

I too would like to confirm that this patch works. I am seeing no problems caused by it and the URLs now display correctly! Thank you, thank you, thank you jflesher. I'm glad you had faith in this thread and got things back on the right track.

You mentioned that you saw this same problem with contacts and while it's not an issue for my site, I've seen it as well. I suspect that you could apply this patch to that as well if one hasn't already been developed.

This was the last big problem with my site and now it's fixed. Bravo.

Here's all my site info if this helps confirm anything:
Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable (With security patch applied)[ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.2.26-hetz-2G-nonSMP ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_auth_pam/1.0a PHP/4.3.11 PHP/3.0.18 mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6g mod_perl/1.27 mod_jk/1.1.0 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 ( cpp.org.za.dedi279.your-server.de ) | PHP Version: 4.3.11
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): No | iconv Support (1.5): No | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.13-standard ( cpp.org.za.dedi279.your-server.de via TCP/IP )

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:05 am

I looked at the code and I think it needs the patch; but I haven't been able to duplicate it; so I didn't work on it.
Jeff

cacklewack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cacklewack » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks for this informative thread and patch. However, after applying the router.php file I am still experiencing the same issue. I.E, when links to web links categories are clicked under the main menu drop down they end up showing a different path than when accessed via the directory itself.

This can be seen here:

http://www.beethinking.com/Alternative- ... llinators/ from the drop down
http://www.beethinking.com/Directory/Al ... llinators/ from the directory itself.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Matt

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:22 am

Yes; this is a different issue and I've been waiting for the time to debug it; I think its new to 1.5.7; the issue only happens if you created the menu items after the 1.5.7 update; I tried to add nested menu items like I did before and found this out yesterday; so I'm sure it has something to do with it. You will notice that this is only the case if you nest it in a sub menu; if its at the top level it works fine.

I'll try to debug it this week and let you know what I find; I was waiting to see if Joomla will release 1.5.8 to fix the issues that are causing this problem; since they run much deeper than the Router and effect the Category and Section layout as well.

I had to turn off all my Category and Section layout; its all broken due to 1.5.7.

See http://www.theholidaycalendar.com/ Section Category Bug
Its all related.

Jeff

Rapunzl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rapunzl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:26 am

I have only Articles and the SEF urls take me to the wrong articles in different categories. I can't figure this out at all. I have only top menu items. The url is Rapunzl Reminisces.

Joomla 1.5.7
Core SEF
mod_rewrite on
.htaccess same as when it worked previously

I've found that the sections module is where I'm finding the problem. Using main menu links to section blog, links work fine.
???
I love trying new things, but I hate when new things try me.

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:00 am

Did you notice this after updating to 1.5.7 or before?

Rapunzl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rapunzl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:31 am

I'm not quite sure. I used the 1.5.7 full install, but I'm still showing 1.5.6 in the backend. I'll try to download the patch and do it again. I've never had an issue with upgrades like I have this one.
I love trying new things, but I hate when new things try me.

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:01 pm

I have this same issue with version numbers; don't know why; I'm using Virtualmin (I recommend it); I've found that I have to do a manual FTP to fix it sometimes.

I try not to say anything negative about the Joomla Core Team; they have a lot of code to deal with and they know the big picture and just maybe these changes are part of it and not a bug that got loose; but its breaking peoples sites; this isn't beta anymore and not right to do this, but again this was a rush release to fix a security issue and we all have to forgive them for that. Over all they have done a great job and continue to; its just these little things that get to me.

I don't see much mention of it anywhere but this is a big problem that I hope they fix soon; I've been running nightly's to see if they fix the issue but they are not; I wonder if they know about it; hard to think they don't; I set up one of my sites (http://www.theholidaycalendar.com/) to try to document these bugs; but I don't know if the Core team even looks at it; haven't heard back from Amy since posting the first patch.

I have a feeling that they are trying to find a better solution to this problem; that big picture we don't see; I just wish they'd share it with us so we know its in work; I don't keep up with the bug tracker like I should; like most people I just want this to work right; I got involve to help in that effort but I'm starting to think its a waist of time; but I might be wrong so I continue my effort.

If anyone has a clue what's going on and why please share this with us; I don't mind trouble shooting it if no one truly knows why; but at this point I don't think that's the problem and if someone could just verify this it would make all our lives a little easier. I don't know if the Joomla Core Team takes into mind the impact they have on some of our lives; those like me who depend on Joomla to work right; I don't make a living doing this; but some of us do and are effected more by bugs like this; me I'm just trying to make web sites that work.

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 pm

I have verified that this BUG still exist in 1.5.9; I'm going to update this post till its fixed.
In an effort to make this issue and fix clear I have dedicated two Domains to help:

http://zenjoomla.com/weblinksbugmainmen ... gmenu.html
This domain will be setup with a fresh install of 1.5.9 all original Joomla Code.

http://zenjoomlatemplates.com/weblinksb ... gmenu.html
This domain will be setup with a fresh install of 1.5.9 with the modified Code.

This will make it easy to bounce back and forth and really see the problem.

The patch is free with no warranty, as is.
My hope is that Joomla will use this code or fix their own.
We and many others have been using it without any problems.

Thanks

Jeff Flesher

dcuozzo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dcuozzo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Jeff,

I am one of those still affected who has benefitted from your patch and I appreciate you staying on top of this. It would be great to see this fixed.

Regards,
Dave

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:52 am

jflesher wrote:I have verified that this BUG still exist in 1.5.9; I'm going to update this post till its fixed.
Thanks for following up on this. I had come up with my own patch which was shorter but less elegant than yours, and possibly doesn't solve everything yours solves. I don't have any weblinks with more than 2 categories, so I didn't observe how it affects more than the first. I've swapped out mine for yours.

Thanks for following up on this. If you ever figure out how to get past people like Amy and get to people who actually commit patches let me know. I've got a dozen or so at this point. I've given up reporting them because the first 3 I reported I only got nasty comments and inane irrelevance in response.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

Paddy Landau
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Paddy Landau » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 am

jflesher wrote:I have verified that this BUG still exist in 1.5.9; I'm going to update this post till its fixed.
I notice that the bug was closed:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=12150

Odd, given that Jeff has already given the patch to use:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 9#p1414279

I think that we need to reopen the bug report, or report a new one -- together with the patch -- otherwise it'll never be fixed.

Thanks again to Jeff for your continued persistence with this bug.

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:11 am

I knew this to be coming or much to the point, the case; they are going to ignore this problem; why, I have no idea; maybe they can not come up with another fix besides the one I offer and do not want to use it; perhaps they are going to replace the component with a new one; these Joomla Core members are very bright people; never know what (or why) they are thinking of; if you know what I mean.

I decided to spend a little more time to make sure I can show the Bug still exist; so I setup two sites; one with the fix one without it; it is very obvious the bug exist; so the question begs; how do we get them to acknowledge it and fix it. Fixing it isn't the problem; it seems to me the patch dose that fine.

We can open a new bug report, I'll take some time tomorrow and do just that. I thought about opening up a new thread; but this one seems to get some support; so I though it best just to ride this one out; since it is the same problem and hasn't gone away; in fact it seem like this bug is here to stay.

Since posting this I submitted this as a new bug report sighting this tread and closed bug report, the summary title is "Web link Router incorrectly grabs wrong category item"; hopefully they will post it soon.
This is what it said:

This is not a new bug but a closed bug that still exist.
I'm opening a new bug report and I have invested a lot of time to prove that this bug is verified and can be duplicated. I setup two web sites in order to prove this. The first one http://zenjoomla.com/weblinksbugmainmen ... gmenu.html has a fresh install of Joomla and fully documents how I created the Web links and shows the bug; the second site is http://zenjoomlatemplates.com/weblinksb ... gmenu.html, it has a patch installed that fixes this bug; it is free without any reservations and I'm hoping you will use it to fix this issue; or at least it will give you an idea how to fix it.

The problem is this: at the start of the function it gets a menu item and then grabs a category to links it to; which is always the first category; if you have more than one category this will always fail; as you can see by my example. What I have done in the patch was to locate the correct category to tie the menu item too. It is clear that the programmer only tested this with one category.

There are at least two forum threads and one bug report that has been closed, this is the thread I got involved in:
web links SEF URLs display incorrect category name
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 0#p1560820
This was the closed bug report http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=12150.

You may contact me and I will assist you in any way I can.

Confirmation:
Joomla! 1.5.x Bug Tracker item #14705, was opened at 2009-01-23 22:23:34

Jeff

Paddy Landau
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Paddy Landau » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 am

Thank you, Jeff.

For the record on this thread, here is the link to the new bug.

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=14705

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:03 am

In version 10752
Line 85
character 96
change the != to ==
$item->query['id'] != $query['id']
$item->query['id'] == $query['id']

That is the fix and it shouldn't break existing sites.

If you think about it; this was an error; you only want to set the itemid if all of these are true; never if the id's are not the same.

Looking at my notes before I had two issues; one is now working; so this was the only issue left.

I'm hoping that they will look at this and figure out that is what it should have been from the start; its a simple fix for sure.

I updated my sites; see for yourself; just one character :laugh:

Jeff

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Just to keep this thread complete; I copied this from bug report follow up I just posted.

Just to note: Look at the logic in the if statement on line 75; note that it is
looking for equality (==); the same should be true for line 85; but it wasn't;
I'd say a typo; the logic makes no sense to apply this if the two are not
equal.

This bug should be renamed typo or logic error on line 85.

I verified this with multiple templates on 35 web sites and it did not break
one site. Please check with original programmer; I'm sure they will concur.

(I had a few typo's in original message I fixed here; see how easy it is to make mistakes; I've been a computer programmer for 33 years and still make mistakes everyday; its fixing them that makes me a programmer; not my ability to make mistakes and telling everyone to live with them.)

End
-------------
We need to stand fast on this issue; not fixing it because they are afraid to break web sites, is fine, but this is a error and not the original logic needed to make this function work; I do not see how fixing a typo can break sites; they only sites this will work on; is sites with weblinks with only one category; fixing this will not break those sites and fixing it on web sites with multiple categories in the weblinks will only fix the web site.

I'm done with this bug; just need to make sure its fixed in next release; how hard is it to fix one character that you know needs to be fixed ???

Jeff

jflesher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jflesher » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 am

danieltooop wrote:Hi,
("==") was not typo error or logical error.
Actually ("==") is one of the logical operators, which is used in php. So, i think there is some other error in that code. There might be error on conditions. Check it out.
Are you trying to be funny? Are you for real? :-[

It is a LOGIC ERROR; meaning that then meant it be "==" not "!="; see "Real Programmers don't make mistakes", it was a typo; that was a joke :laugh: .

You need to read the whole post and dig into the code, never assume someone is a not a computer programmer; I have over 30 years of being a computer programmer; to point out 101 computer course statement as you did to someone who has a Masters Degree in Computer Science is an insult, but don't worry I'm not offended, just being sarcastic; that is a joke ;D

Make the change and you'll see, it works.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”