Joomla/Virtuemart SEF Questions

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

burgertronic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla/Virtuemart SEF Questions

Post by burgertronic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi, i've taken on a client that want's me to make an ecommerce site, which is a first for me, after some research i decided i wanted to use Joomla/Virtuemart.
I have decided to do the site in two phases, the first being an online catalogue where people can view the products but have to ring up to order the products (It will be replacing an existing online catalogue which is written in HTML and has good search rankings), the second phase is to turn on all the shopping cart functionality so people can buy stuff using the site (6 to 12 months down the track).
I've split it up because i feel i've bitten off more then i can chew and want to spend the time making sure i don't ruin there search ranking, then worry about the rest.

My Questions (If you have an answer to any of them it would be greatly apretiated).

1. Is this a good way to go about a VirtueMart site for a newbie?

2. Is it best to set SSL up imediately or can i do that later when I enable the shopping cart?

3. Can i just place my Joomla site in the public_html folder, like i would for a site that does not use SSL?

4. I see so many posts about problems with sh404SEF, in regards to search rankings will it make a much of a difference?, Is it worth the trouble?, And are most of the problems minor and fixable?

5. Are there any advantages to a dedicated IP?

6. Are there any other SEF extensions i should use to ensure decent search rankings?

Thanks.

Chris B
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Joomla/Virtuemart SEF Questions

Post by Chris B » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:38 pm

I will answer the one joomla related question in your post.

You can use Joomlas SEF with VM, I am using it and it works fine.

You will find Virtuemart support over there --------->>

davidtowers
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidtowers » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm

Sounds like an exciting project for you!

I set up a site using Virtuemart and used the sh404sef extension to ensure that it was SEO friendly. Sh404sef allows you to control page titles, meta data and URLS so I'd definately recommend you consider it.

You should definately try and preserve the high rankings of the existing online catalogue which is written in HTML, and you can do this by using sh404sef to create custom URL names.

Hope that helps a little,

David
Helping businesses operate more effectively online - http://www.GoodWebPractices.com

burgertronic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by burgertronic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:02 am

Chris B wrote:I will answer the one joomla related question in your post.

You can use Joomlas SEF with VM, I am using it and it works fine.

You will find Virtuemart support over there --------->>
Chris are you using the latest versions of Joomla and VM....Thanks for your reply

burgertronic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by burgertronic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:08 am

davidtowers wrote:

I set up a site using Virtuemart and used the sh404sef extension to ensure that it was SEO friendly.
Thanks David, Can I ask what version of Joomla and VM you used, and do use use any other any other extensions/plug-ins for the purposes of SEO or usability... Thanks again for your post.

Chris B
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Chris B » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 am

burgertronic wrote:
Chris are you using the latest versions of Joomla and VM....Thanks for your reply
Yes bud, Joomla 1.5.7 and VM 1.1.2

davidtowers
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidtowers » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am

burgertronic wrote:
davidtowers wrote:

I set up a site using Virtuemart and used the sh404sef extension to ensure that it was SEO friendly.
Thanks David, Can I ask what version of Joomla and VM you used, and do use use any other any other extensions/plug-ins for the purposes of SEO or usability... Thanks again for your post.
Sure I actually used Joomla 1.0 with the stable build of VM.

I would now however go for Joomla 1.5 with the new version of VM, it looks so much better.

The plugin I used for SEO was literally just sh404sef and it sufficed!
Helping businesses operate more effectively online - http://www.GoodWebPractices.com

Chris B
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Chris B » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:41 am

davidtowers wrote:
burgertronic wrote:
davidtowers wrote:

The plugin I used for SEO was literally just sh404sef and it sufficed!
Causes errors with 1.5.7 and VM 1.1.2

Goto VM's forum and search "sh404sef "

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”