"Search Engine Friendly URLs" problem

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

dlinker
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

"Search Engine Friendly URLs" problem

Post by dlinker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:00 am

When I switch the option "Search Engine Friendly URLs" from "No" to "Yes" in Joomla! 1.5.6, then the web pages are not displayed correctly. Is it a known issue?

bharat617
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: "Search Engine Friendly URLs" problem

Post by bharat617 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm

also it works only when you flip all three to "yes", you know the rewrite urls and apache something (atleast for me)

you might want to install a SEO component too, check out the extensions to find the right one for you!!

--Bharat

romancenovels
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by romancenovels » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Yes it is a well known issue which happens quite often.
Go to that page for www. hobo-web.co.uk/seo-blog/index.php/beginners-guide-joomla-seo/ It helped me a lot recently, and tells you exactly which plugins to installl in your CMS in order to make it friendly.

amcclean
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amcclean » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:54 pm

I have a htaccess file in th main folder which was created by my isp on my behalf, as mentioned in the forums

I have also tried the suggestion of adding the site url in the config.php var $live_site = 'http://www.yoursite.com';

With just Friendly URLs on I get a non formated page with all three options on I get a mess with no CSS control.

Is there a particular line I need to add within the .htaccess file that may be missing.

Tried it across all three of my sites; live backup and test and get the same result on them all.

I have also looked at the above suggestion but cannot find the place to edit:

Set $mosConfig_sef= “1″ in configuration.php (if you cannot do it in the global config for any reason. If your file is UNWRITABLE you will need to change the file permissions of the file.

as suggested at:

http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/seo-blog/inde ... -urls-sef/

many thanks

A

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”