"Component not found"

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

azimuth
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

"Component not found"

Post by azimuth » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:53 am

Release version: 1.5.7

On Remote Host: Shared - Linux Server (I own this box, but it's a shared environment)

System Information: PHP 5.0.4, Apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.1.13

When I do any of the following:

1. Click any "Read more..." link
2. Click any PDF icon link
3. Click any Print icon link
4. Click any link in 'Latest News' or 'Popular' at the top

With SEF = ON, I get:
404 - Component not found

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

* An out-of-date bookmark/favourite
* A search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
* A mistyped address
* You have no access to this page
* The requested resource was not found.
* An error has occurred while processing your request.

Please try one of the following pages:

Home Page

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
I turned on 'Debug System', so I see this as well:
Component not found

Call stack
# Function Location
1 JSite->dispatch() /srv/www/htdocs/[mydomain]/www/index.php:68
2 JSite->renderComponent() /srv/www/htdocs/[mydomain]/www/includes/application.php:124
3 JSite->raiseError() /srv/www/htdocs/[mydomain]/www/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:95
4 JSite->raise() /srv/www/htdocs/[mydomain]/www/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:171
5 JException->__construct() /srv/www/htdocs/[mydomain]/www/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:136
With SEF = OFF, I get regular Apache-generated 404s.

I have tried switching the SEF settings in the Global Configuration > Site section back and forth. I have switched htaccess.txt to .htaccess and back and forth. I have verified that there is an 'AllowOverride All' directive in the appropriate <Directory> tag in my <VirtualHost> record. I have even tried putting the content of the default htaccess.txt file in the <Directory> tag directly, in case it was being ignored, but I've since removed it. For my current settings, please see below.

I have searched for "Joomla 1.5.7 'Component not found'", and variations including the words "SEF" and "mod_rewrite" and I have found discussions related to upgrades (which mine isn't) and to menu issues (Home being a 0 instead of a 1, etc) which I have verified are not the same as the issue I'm having.

I found a "solution" (involving altering the code in includes/application.php around line 124 so it would check whether the component was empty before attempting to render it) which made the "Component not found" error go away, but it didn't solve the problem...it just gave me the Newsfeed every time (or was it the News), at any rate it was the same page no matter what I clicked on. Now let me once again define every time:

1. Click any "Read more..." link
2. Click any PDF icon link
3. Click any Print icon link
4. Click any link in 'Latest News' or 'Popular' at the top*
* Notably several of these same pages work fine when linked to from the menus. For example, /extensions works while /extensions&catid=29:the-cms&Itemid=40 does not.
** However, others aren't like that. For example neither /welcome-to-joomla nor /welcome-to-joomla&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50 works. Both result in the above error.

This is a vanilla install; not an upgrade. I have not added any extensions, or even changed the default template. This behavior was apparent "out of the box". I have wiped the install and started over from scratch. Again, completely vanilla install and I get the above.

Is .htaccess file in use? : Yes

What settings are currently set?: sef = '1'; sef_rewrite = '1'; sef_suffix = '0'; live_site = 'http://www.[mydomain]' (just those I figured were relavent)
In my .htaccess file, I have uncommented the 'Options +FollowSymLinks'. I have added 'Options -MultiViews'. I have uncommented (or left uncommented) 'RewriteEngine On' and 'RewriteBase /'. I have not installed in a subdirectory.

By 'SEF = ON', I mean sef = '1'; sef_rewrite = '1';

By 'SEF = OFF', I mean sef = '0'; sef_rewrite = '0';

I have not fiddled much with mixing these up, for example "sef = '1'; sef_rewrite = '0';" or "sef = '0'; sef_rewrite = '1';"

I have switched the sef_suffix back and forth, but I can't see whether it makes a difference, and if so, what.

Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Azimuth

John37309
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: "Component not found"

Post by John37309 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Azimuth,
I had a similar problem for a while, so this is my guess.

If you post a story in the section called "News" for instance, you must create a menu link to the section called "news". Same thing goes for categories. If you post an article to a category called "latest news" in the "News" section, you must create a menu link to get to the stories in that category. Otherwise they will appear on your front page, but you won't be able to view the full article.

Does that make sense? Whatever section or category you post the article in, go and create a menu link to that category and then see if your front page "Read more" links work!

John.
Compute for science and for a better world!
www.unitedboinc.com

azimuth
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by azimuth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Thank you very much for your response John.

So..well...OK. I'll try what you suggest...I guess. But the thing is, as I mentioned, this is "out of the box"; this is just the sample data that comes with the install; I literally haven't created a single content item. That said, I'll see if I can make one of these existing items work by implementing your advice. One final reservation I have is that it's not just the "Read more..." links; it's also the PDF and Print links, and the links in Latest News and Popular...again all this is just default sample data.

Thanks Again,

Azimuth

John37309
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by John37309 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Let me know how you get on azimuth!

John.
Compute for science and for a better world!
www.unitedboinc.com

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”