how are keywords utilized in Joomla?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

dholwick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

how are keywords utilized in Joomla?

Post by dholwick » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I am putting together a website with over a thousand articles. Each has a few keywords associated with it from their original database. How can I use these keywords in Joomla so that those specific articles will be returned on searches? It seems like the search feature in Joomla scans every article and scales on the basis of the preponderance of words found in the text rather than giving weight to a keyword list attached to each article. Is this correct? I would rather limit the search to a short keyword list but can't figure out how to implement this.

My understanding from the installation guide is that keywords put in the "Metadata Information: Keywords" field is for the benefit of internet search engines. Are they also utilized by Joomla's search feature?

Another feature for each article is the "Parameters (Advanced): Key Reference". The float-over note says this can be used for Help Reference. Is this where keywords should be placed? How does Joomla's search feature utilize this? Are there alternative ways to do a search that focuses only on pre-selected keywords attached to articles?

Are there any Extensions that do what I am looking for? I don't want to add a thousand articles and then find out I did it all wrong.

Sincerely,
dholwick

tobe_
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: how are keywords utilized in Joomla?

Post by tobe_ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 pm

dholwick wrote:I am putting together a website with over a thousand articles. Each has a few keywords associated with it from their original database. How can I use these keywords in Joomla so that those specific articles will be returned on searches? It seems like the search feature in Joomla scans every article and scales on the basis of the preponderance of words found in the text rather than giving weight to a keyword list attached to each article. Is this correct? I would rather limit the search to a short keyword list but can't figure out how to implement this.

My understanding from the installation guide is that keywords put in the "Metadata Information: Keywords" field is for the benefit of internet search engines. Are they also utilized by Joomla's search feature?

Another feature for each article is the "Parameters (Advanced): Key Reference". The float-over note says this can be used for Help Reference. Is this where keywords should be placed? How does Joomla's search feature utilize this? Are there alternative ways to do a search that focuses only on pre-selected keywords attached to articles?

Are there any Extensions that do what I am looking for? I don't want to add a thousand articles and then find out I did it all wrong.

Sincerely,
dholwick
The meta keywords tag is said to be of no use today for seo, some people use it for reference to write articles.
Arquitectos en Las Palmas | https://www.arquitai.com/arquitectos/
Especializados en casas prefabricadas modulares de diseño | https://www.arquitai.com/constructora/c ... modulares/

joomblaster
I've been banned!

Post by joomblaster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:24 pm

tobe_ wrote:
dholwick wrote:I am putting together a website with over a thousand articles. Each has a few keywords associated with it from their original database. How can I use these keywords in Joomla so that those specific articles will be returned on searches? It seems like the search feature in Joomla scans every article and scales on the basis of the preponderance of words found in the text rather than giving weight to a keyword list attached to each article. Is this correct? I would rather limit the search to a short keyword list but can't figure out how to implement this.

Sincerely,
dholwick
The meta keywords tag is said to be of no use today for seo, some people use it for reference to write articles.
How do you know that The meta keywords tag is said to be of no use today for seo, some people use it for reference to write articles
can you show me?

Thanksss

dholwick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dholwick » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:14 pm

When I enter an article, I put keywords under "Parameters (Advanced): Key Reference" and "Metadata Information: Keywords". I use the same keywords for each. What does this actually do for each article? Does it enhance Google's search of my site? Does it enhance Joomla's search of my site, when someone searches for a keyword on my Joomla page? Does it do nothing at all? What is the difference between Key Reference and Keywords? Help files usually have an Index feature and a Search feature. I am looking to implement an Index feature here.

joomblaster
I've been banned!

Post by joomblaster » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 pm

just leave it blank if you site has large content let your site pull search engine to index entire content

dholwick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dholwick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:30 pm

joomblaster wrote:just leave it blank if you site has large content let your site pull search engine to index entire content
There are good reasons not to do this - a real index focuses on key themes and not just a dictionary approach. With a large site (mine has over 1,400 pages) it is easy to miss the trees for the forest. I want to use an index to narrow it down.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”