How to set the article alias into the url

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

jogesh_p
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to set the article alias into the url

Post by jogesh_p » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 am

hello,
i want to chage the url of the article which is set on the alias of that page,
i created a article page and not set the alias of that page the joomla automatically take the alias according to the title of the article, but now i want to change the url,

hope you all understand the problem,
any kind of help will be appreciate
please read the signature rules: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

tschumler
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: How to set the article alias into the url

Post by tschumler » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 am

Change the alias of your article to what you want it to be.

vseprav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vseprav » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 am

url need to change the menu

bruce99
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bruce99 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 am

depending on the joomla version etc if you cant change the alias directly, I have found that sometimes just killing the page and redoing the article is the best way.

I always pre plan the url alias before i make the page so it has the right keywords I want.
I am a dog walker and have two dog information sites: dogwalkersmelbourne.com.au & a dog treat site, Thank you.

jogesh_p
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jogesh_p » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 am

bruce99 wrote:depending on the joomla version etc if you cant change the alias directly, I have found that sometimes just killing the page and redoing the article is the best way.

I always pre plan the url alias before i make the page so it has the right keywords I want.
Thanks for you reply sir, but as you said that killing the page and redoing all the stuff for the article, i don't think so its a good alternative for the problem,

but i really admit with you work like pre plan the keywords and all the stuff for SEO, i will do as you do..

i am using joomla 1.5.23..

jogesh_p
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jogesh_p » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 am

tschumler wrote:Change the alias of your article to what you want it to be.
@tschumler i do the same as you said but still not changing the url, i am using joomla 1.5.23,,

inyong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by inyong » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 am

Better way make a title same with alias what you want...

egrovesys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by egrovesys » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:17 am

Yes me too having this issue. If add any name in allies its not taking even the already created numbers or the old name only coming. if i find any solution i ll share with you...

jogesh_p
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jogesh_p » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:29 am

egrovesys wrote:Yes me too having this issue. If add any name in allies its not taking even the already created numbers or the old name only coming. if i find any solution i ll share with you...
@egrovesys thanks for your reply, i also do the same if i got the solution :)

jogesh_p
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jogesh_p » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 am

I got the solution, actually if we want to change the url alias of the article, then change the menu alias related to that article, not the article alias, cause the menu alias displaying in the URL instead of article alias,,

:)

MissyW
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MissyW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:47 pm

jogesh_p wrote:I got the solution, actually if we want to change the url alias of the article, then change the menu alias related to that article, not the article alias, cause the menu alias displaying in the URL instead of article alias,,

:)
Thanks for this suggestion, even though I cannot use it. It is interesting (and frustrating!) how the menu parameter settings seem to override individual article settings in recent releases of Joomla (I am using 1.5.\8).

In my situation, I do not have a menu item for my individual article. I only have a menu with a list of articles in section blog layout. I tried creating a dummy menu item for this individual article, but it created other problems - the new url did not include the modules for the original menu item. Sigh.

I was just thinking that perhaps my only solution is to duplicate the article like bruce99 suggested:
bruce99 wrote:depending on the joomla version etc if you cant change the alias directly, I have found that sometimes just killing the page and redoing the article is the best way.

But I have found a solution. I have sh404sef installed on this website, even though I don't know very much about it. But I found the list of SEF/Urls for this article in sh404sef, and deleted them. And now my article has the new url from the alias ;D

ukfinancials007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ukfinancials007 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 pm

To set the article alias into the url its is depending on the joomla account etc if you can’t modify the alias directly, I found that now and then just killing the page and redoing the article is the best way

draeke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by draeke » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Hello, has anyone found a way to change the "filename.html" once the page has been published?
I post on this thread cause i have got the same issue.

I understand that if I delete the page and then copy the content to a new page I will get the alias I want but, I will loose the hits of the page doing this way.

I could do it but I feel like there must be a proper way to do it. Cause I would want to have all the pages with a proper name and not just the alias that was generated the first time i created the page.

Thanks for any hint!

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mojito » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:40 am

it seems joomla 3.3 cannot change the article alias anymore.
I am a freelance SEO (https://cambs.eu) web designer and developer working with Wordpress and Joomla since Mambo.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”