Cannot get past 404 errors with SEF URLs turned on

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

stevefaber
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Cannot get past 404 errors with SEF URLs turned on

Post by stevefaber » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi,

I'm really struggling to get SEF URLs/aliases working on my site. As soon as I turn on SEF URLs in global config, I can't access my site pages - I get 404 errors. I have renamed .htaccess.txt to .htaccess. I have edited configuration.php to set var $live_site to the root of my domain and to leave it blank ('') Joomla isn't installed in a sub-directory. My site is hosted on a public ISP, not my own machine.

As I hope I've indicated above, I have read and followed the trouble-shooting info that I've found on joomla.org and elsewhere, but I can't get a step further forward.

I have got AceSEF 1.5.21 Pro installed on my site - I don't know whether my problem is with AceSEF, or my Joomla installation, or my ISP.

I'd really appreciate any pointers for where to look and what to try next...

Thanks

Steve

egrovesys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Cannot get past 404 errors with SEF URLs turned on

Post by egrovesys » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:57 am

I have been using tag meta extension in joomla. I will be pasting the alias and the SEF URL manually for best SEO results. I have ssen duplicate pages in Joomla for pages with html and without html, but have not came across 404 when sef URLs turned on.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”