404 error when trying to save some articles

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

N4ndee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

404 error when trying to save some articles

Post by N4ndee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently been asked to make some modifications on an old Joomla 1.5.22 site. I got some errors, so I updated Joomla to 1.5.26 but I still get those errors. When I try to save the Global Configuration or when I try to edit some articles, I receive a 404 error. I tried to turn off SEF URLs and URL rewrite manually in configuration.php (since I can't edit Global Configuration), and now after trying to save, apply or even close some articles, I get redirected to the site's main page. It's even stranger that I am able to edit some of the articles without any problem.

Could anyone please help me with this issue? Thank you very much in advance.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 404 error when trying to save some articles

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Could be a htaccess file in your administrator folder.
Check your Host's error logs to see if you have a php error that is the cause, also check the Apache error logs if possible, could be a server problem.

N4ndee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by N4ndee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:04 pm

I have no htaccess file in the administrator folder. Also, I can't find any error_log files either. What php error, or what else can cause the problem? And what should I write to the server admin, what server side problem can cause this?

Edit: I have found an old error_log file in the "include" folder, last modified 2 years ago, with the same error repeating hundreds of times:

Code: Select all

PHP Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0
PHP Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/home/pdesign/public_html/includes/admin.poster.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:09 am

Ask your server admin to check the Permissions and Ownership on your site's files and folders. Also tell them the issue you are having and ask them if there are any error logs, php or Apache, that can help. A good Host(server admin) will be very helpful.

fptquangngai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fptquangngai » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:33 am

Problem this is usually the most common errors in the website, the cause is mainly due to articles your lost by delete.
To fix this problem you should use the .htaccess file and redirect the entire article addresses lost to home page, then to the webmaster tool and fixed mark.
Wish you success.
site specializing in technology: https://viettelquangngai.net/
chào mừng đến với cộng đồng:https://internetvietnam.net/

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”