JUG Milton Keynes + demo kit question

For discussion regarding Registered Joomla User Groups. For all non-registered user group announcements:please register your Joomla User Group first at https://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html
jugmk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

JUG Milton Keynes + demo kit question

Post by jugmk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:34 am

I am starting http://jugmiltonkeynes.org/ and notice that some people install Joomla! on laptops for discussion at JUG meetings. I would like to use one of my spare Synology servers.

Synology servers are fantastic hosting both MySQL and PHP as well as standard file share directories and more. They also permit a WiFi connection via a stick in one of the USB ports. They run from 12 volts at about 25-35 watts or about 2.5 amps @ 12 volts. I do any questionable Joomla testing on them prior to live. You can fix-up a Synology server to have a fixed IP and connect to it without a router - nice for client demo's. Even the smallest Synology device supports 30 connections with ease.

The thing is, after a lifetime of IT I took nearly two years out and went into electrical safety testing so I am 16th Edition qualified and more. 10,000+ electrical tests later I can tell you that you should not be using untested laptops in public meeting places but battery supplied equipment wrongly 'falls under the radar as safe equipment'.

Being 'in the knowledge and after much experience finding safety problems' I can categorically state the laptops should be electrically tested if only to test their adaptors and note if the model number has a recall safety notice - batteries can catch fire!

I'm qualified and competent to visually test any visitor equipment and that will stand up in court if there was a problem. This does not help if you don't have someone like me on hand so the Synology server could be used if one simply kits it out with a fused 12 volt DC stabalised supply.

Seems a good option but: "Has anyone noticed any problems with Synology and Joomla 1.5.x installations?"

Sorry to be a safety killjoy but I have seen some really bad things with IT and electrical equipment and things like this kill and injure people.

Any Synology problems you know of?

TIA

Anton

geekette
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: JUG Milton Keynes + demo kit question

Post by geekette » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 pm

This topic is better suited to one of the support forum categories than to the Registered User Group category. The Registered User Group Forum is not really intended for technical questions. You'd get more responses in the appropriate area.
Wilma Howell
Joomla! User Group - Dallas / Fort Worth / joomladallas.org

jugmk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jugmk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Yes for Joomla on Synology but at the same time I fear for the state of equipment being used in a user group meetings. Electrically, most of the risk is with power extensions not the laptops.

I guess that I am cautious given what I have seen before.
I carry PI+Public Liability insurance but there are also issues like this as well.

Nerves I guess.

I split out the issues and post them in better places.

Thanks

geekette
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by geekette » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:11 am

Wilma Howell
Joomla! User Group - Dallas / Fort Worth / joomladallas.org

Nomad364
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Nomad364 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:47 pm

I have been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post.

I concur with JUGMK we run a

Code: Select all

www.business-inc.co.uk
and often have to roll out Joomla for select clients. I agree JUGMK that having Synology servers is really handy. I had a similar experience but don’t think visual inspection is safe enough. Whilst in the British Virgin Islands I saw a neat test kit imported from Hong Kong. I have searched everywhere since and cannot seem to find it available. User groups are most likely to need a portable solution so I think the post have some relevance here and elsewhere.

jugmk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jugmk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 pm

That's handy to know and if you see the kit again keep me informed. Most likely it was a small Linux NAS server. They run lean and mean.

I'm very tempted to equip the local venue/pub with some network kit and put in a server. Maybe they would want some help with a website about their venue?

Thanks for your reply and do come along to meet the group, if you can make time.

First Wednesday of every month see: http://jugmiltonkeynes.org/monthly-meetings.html

Kind regards,

Anton
Milton Keynes JUG Admin

Return to “Registered Joomla! User Groups”