Drupal vs Joomla systems discussions founder Drupal and more

Share your Joomla wisdom with the Community on Trending Topics in this forum.
oakulm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Drupal vs Joomla systems discussions founder Drupal and

Post by oakulm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 am

A killer forum module would be great. Even Drupal and Wordpress offers very little in that regard.
I provide Joomla! site building and technical help at http://www.drupaletti.fi

dubois
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dubois » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

i'm hacking a Kunena template in this very moment and today i played extensively with Ninjaboard.

the issue i see about forums is that unless you provide something on par with vBulletin or phpBB or SMF or IPB who's really going to pay for it ? Kunena is a huge mess, ninjaboard looks good but lacks pretty much anything you find in a default SMF/phpBB, Agora looks to be abandoned, JooBB and the rest are a joke.

so i wouldn't embark in making a commercial "uber module" supporting 10 different forums, there's simply no money on that in my opinion but never say never ... what about including also K2 and other CCKS ... and a dozen comment systems ... that would make sense ... we'll see !

BBC2009
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BBC2009 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:37 pm

There are two important things to consider when you compare Joomla and Drupal.

1. Beginners point of view. (user at website with editor he/she hates mostly)
2. Developers point of view.

1. From beginners point of view it is important what beginner gets when he/she log in.
So, you can disregard all talk about nodes, views, modules, plugins, etc... Not important at all.

2. From developers point of view you have to heighly take into account TIME spend at each CMS.
So, it is absolutely irelevant how difficult CMS is, or how steep learning curve is.
As long developer suffer not from short memory and learn nothing through the years of working with CMS.

A agree with some that Joomla should have CCK in core, custom fields etc.
Just that Intro text in Joomla with non-clickable and "resize at your laptop first" thumb, then "read more" line in the middle of text is a nightmare for some users beginners.

Started to play with Drupal. It is not easy from beginning, but as you learn it goes faster and better. Seems that templating is a hell in the beginning, compared to easinest of Joomla templating, module positions, etc...

But, guess will never be used to Drupal "in cave, everything to big" Admin panel. Joomla has to good and visualy intuitive Admin panel.

oliverstone44
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by oliverstone44 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 am

Yes you are quite right

BBC2009
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BBC2009 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 am

Drupal is amazing. Playing with it for 2 weeks now.
But boy, what a thing with all of this generic names of most modules. No demo, no screenshots.

Some generic name, install and figure out byself what module does.

I can tell you, for 2 weeks (without even touching the code) i achieved something that took me 2 years with Joomla. (Heavy tweaking!!)

Custom fields, positions of fields, relationships between fields. Google maps, fields in custom tabs, etc...etc.

(I see now that team behind Seblod borrow heavily ideas from Drupal.)

dubois
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dubois » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:14 am

BBC2009 wrote: Custom fields, positions of fields, relationships between fields. Google maps, fields in custom tabs, etc...etc.
exactly what a real CMS is supposed to be, but go tell it to the the joomla core devs and they will say people don't really need all this stuff and it only confuses the users ... ??

BBC2009
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BBC2009 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:17 am

dubois wrote:
exactly what a real CMS is supposed to be, but go tell it to the the joomla core devs and they will say people don't really need all this stuff and it only confuses the users ... ??
There is no need to load all fields in Joomla core, and burden code with it. But some reorganisation of Joomla so that "small" developers can easy make their custom plugins would be perfect.

As it is now you cannot even simple captcha plugin integrate, without groove code tweaking, in every part of your website.

How many websites had i and one captcha plugin was at Contact form, another at article comments, third at some submission form, then different one at registration if you want one there. More than stupid.

Just small example. Same is with different media players, JCE has one, K2 another, some media module third. It goes to fix it, but takes time to tweak code.

dubois
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dubois » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:35 am

i've the same issue and i use Drupal if i need something full of customizations.

of course you can do it with joomla but as you said it will take so many tweaks and addons, there's simply no clear integration in joomla apart rare cases.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:14 pm

BBC2009 wrote:Drupal is amazing. Playing with it for 2 weeks now.
But boy, what a thing with all of this generic names of most modules. No demo, no screenshots.

Some generic name, install and figure out byself what module does.

I can tell you, for 2 weeks (without even touching the code) i achieved something that took me 2 years with Joomla. (Heavy tweaking!!)

Custom fields, positions of fields, relationships between fields. Google maps, fields in custom tabs, etc...etc.

(I see now that team behind Seblod borrow heavily ideas from Drupal.)

Yep and the discussion within the Joomla community is and have been if this should be in the platform/CMS core or not. Thats why Joomla have about 6-8 similar solutions from 3pds that make this function for Joomla. Like the really great Seblod CCK that you mention. If you play around with that with new Joomla 3.0 what else do you need?

http://www.seblod.com/

After you have played with the new Seblod CCK with Joomla 3.0 pls come back with a new review!

Return to “Trending Topics”