Annual licenses for extensions

Share your Joomla wisdom with the Community on Trending Topics in this forum.
Donethat
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Annual licenses for extensions

Post by Donethat » Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm

I now manage something in the region of about 30 Joomla websites of varying version and build. There are quite a few I don't manage but did build.

When I started building the first couple of sites in Joomla I added some extensions to the sites, as one does. These had a licence fee which was paid. Some of the fees were renewable after a year. After the first year I was able to administer this without problem. The subsequent years it got a lot more difficult.

It also caused something of a business problem as once a website has been built and billed to the client, most clients would consider that to be that, unless some sort of support agreement had been put in place. They don't expect the developer to go back to them year after year with their hand out expecting further payments to cover the licence renewals.

So from two points of view these renewable licenses are a real nuisance. So, as I progressively migrate sites to newer versions of Joomla I now source extensions that are either free or have one off fees. I understand if there is a separate fee for support if required and then that is generally only needed while building the site.

So what is the point of this post? Well I am happy to pay for good extensions, even some support when required. But renewable licences are just not practicable. So can those developers who rely on these please rethink this.

Donethat
Perfection is a state of mind, not reality
www.cavespider.co.uk

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Annual licenses for extensions

Post by Tonie » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm

How do you charge your clients when doing maintenance, support, upgrades, etc.?

Return to “Trending Topics”