Content structure

A place to discuss and manage all matters related to the Joomla! Community Magazine.
leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Content structure

Post by leolam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 am

porwig wrote: I think we should have some content in the magazine which explains to new prospective contributors what types of articles we are looking for. Then hopefully volunteers will step up to fill all of those "slots".
We can do right away a post "elsewhere" as Amy did before. I can make a draft for it for review before posting. That method has proven to be fruitful

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 am

porwig wrote:Do you think a "Latest News" type module might work for that?
K2 has a News module that supports this. It also has a Tools Module which we can use as well. This for instance provides a "tag-cloud" amongst many other options.

In general we need to take very much care what we use and coordinate with Fotis as well since many content modules will not support K2 since they are based on Section and Category selection.

Example the fabulous Display News by BK module is a killer module but won't work with K2. We have modified that module and in DN_for_K2 we have now option to select the K2 categories and/or Tags. I donate this module (which is GPL-commercial) to this project if wanted without obligations. That gives more flexibility and options to present the content. You can review the module and its options on the mentioned link and we added the K2 functionality to it

Leo 8)

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 am

leolam wrote:
porwig wrote: I think we should have some content in the magazine which explains to new prospective contributors what types of articles we are looking for. Then hopefully volunteers will step up to fill all of those "slots".
We can do right away a post "elsewhere" as Amy did before. I can make a draft for it for review before posting. That method has proven to be fruitful

Leo 8)
Thanks Leo. Can we first discuss more details about your ideas? Perhaps others will have some thoughts to add here. Then once we've got some more details about your ideas we can post an invitation for authors here and elsewhere.

For example, on your "history" idea: Do you see this as a series of articles (and if so we should make it clear up front that we're looking for X number of articles)? Also, if we are going to call this "history", then perhaps we should include a more rigorous review by senior team members to insure at least the major points/facts are agreed upon. If the author hasn't been directly involved in the history, then I think he/she should be willing to interview or otherwise get some good sources.

So I think a similar set of pertinent details should be discussed here about all of your good ideas before invitations are posted here and elsewhere. What do you think?
Paul Orwig

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:19 am

leolam wrote:
porwig wrote:Do you think a "Latest News" type module might work for that?
K2 has a News module that supports this. It also has a Tools Module which we can use as well. This for instance provides a "tag-cloud" amongst many other options.

In general we need to take very much care what we use and coordinate with Fotis as well since many content modules will not support K2 since they are based on Section and Category selection.

Example the fabulous Display News by BK module is a killer module but won't work with K2. We have modified that module and in DN_for_K2 we have now option to select the K2 categories and/or Tags. I donate this module (which is GPL-commercial) to this project if wanted without obligations. That gives more flexibility and options to present the content. You can review the module and its options on the mentioned link and we added the K2 functionality to it

Leo 8)
Those are valuable insights Leo thanks for sharing all that. I will take a look at that module so I understand it's features better. Thanks for offering to donate it to the magazine project.

When we begin working with Komrade on the magazine design/layout, hopefully we will learn early on in the process what will be simple to support and what will be less so.
Paul Orwig

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:54 am

porwig wrote: Can we first discuss more details about your ideas? Perhaps others will have some thoughts to add here. Then once we've got some more details about your ideas we can post an invitation for authors here and elsewhere.
the more input the better!
For example, on your "history" idea: Do you see this as a series of articles (and if so we should make it clear up front that we're looking for X number of articles)? Also, if we are going to call this "history", then perhaps we should include a more rigorous review by senior team members to insure at least the major points/facts are agreed upon. If the author hasn't been directly involved in the history, then I think he/she should be willing to interview or otherwise get some good sources.
Definitely need input and validation or even a write by those initial geeks....We need founding members to draw history on Mambo/Miro/the Forking process/initial establishment as foundation etc, etc. I see here a range of articles such as "Mambo era" , Establishment Joomla!, "Who were these Geeks?", Joomla 1.0.x era, Joomla 1.5 era, Community, Organization than and now, Joomla 1.6 and future, Why choices were made, JUGS, etc, etc. It simply cannot be done other than asking some of these deeply involved people such as Founding Members, COC, OSM etc to contribute since they know the story best. Could be done in a format of 20 questions/interview per subject (just an idea)
So I think a similar set of pertinent details should be discussed here. What do you think?
Perfect, the better the input the better the magazine!

Leo 8)

sachiguns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sachiguns » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Grat idea i like to praticipate

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm

sachiguns wrote:Grat idea i like to praticipate
Thanks for your interest sachiguns! What area(s) of the magazine would you like to help with?
Paul Orwig

nniiccoollee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nniiccoollee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi all ~

I haven't checked in in a while and wondered how we're coming. Do we have a firmer timeline yet? Also has the content structure been finalized?

Nicole

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Tue May 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Nicole,

I am sorry I didn't respond sooner, I missed your post! We are making good progress and have a goal of launching the first issue on June 1. We have a number of people helping on our team but we still have room for more and would love to have you join us!

Please take a look at the Joomla! Community Magazine Editors subforum, there are some new threads there including a proposed timeline and roles on the magazine team where you can see what area(s) you are most interested in helping.
Paul Orwig

nniiccoollee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nniiccoollee » Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi, Paul ~

Thanks for the response.... Heading over to the other forum now. :)

Return to “magazine.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”