The Joomla! Forum ™



Forum rules


Global Rules
Posting guidelines for this board <-- please read before posting.

Joomla Idea Pool <-- Add your suggestions for future versions of Joomla and vote on current suggestions.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Posts: 669
Hi all,

I use Joomla for my websites few years. Long time I was not in this forum, because before I type to much, I was banned, so I stoped writing here.
In this time I feel, that I need write here just some things.
What is wrong with Joomla ? After few years nothing change ! Yes Joomla use newer technology, some new things are inside, but it is necesarry, not feauture, nothing special.

When I m looking now to Joomla at all, it is heavy cms with totally slow perfomance and tons of unnecesarry things - modules, components, plugins and miss some good things there.
Also third part extension are horible, half of them you can not use for good website, other part have many bugs, others stay totaly in past with functions and looking.

Just on starting - registration - name, username ?? for what both ??? Who like fill tons of formulars ? Also third part extension - free, almost everywhere you need register before downloading ... for what ??? They need my email adress or my name + username ? Nobody need it, ok, if they want to do marketing, they can ask for email ... this I understand and I wil unuscribe sure after that, so its only waste of time and database.
Many extensions are for J2,5, some are for 3.0 ...what is it ? We have Joomla 3.0 and I read everywhere no to use it.
It is much better than 2,5, why no use it ? Because third party are not able to make extensions ? Then dont do 3.0 if third party can not do extensions for it.
How can I use 2,5 if 3,0 is better ? This time if I do new site, I will never use 2,5, better change extension which is ready, but never use older Joomla 2.5 because is really outdated.

Please tell which good nice website use ''Newsfeed or Messagings or Weblinks or Wrapper or Who is online ? and other tons of unusefuly outdated toys ?
Also core of Joomla, - contect, articles and tons of toys around it, Who is it ? Who want to have good and nice website need to implement third part extensions for it and then Joomla website start be so heavy, slowly in performance and strange for users ! Strange for admin, Strange for servers and strange for our heavy databases on servers.

Just today I tried to change login form - just module, I tried 6 extensions for 2,5 Joomla, no one work well, not from my ideas, just no one work well how it was mentioned on third party extention's website. Sure I did 6 registration on each site, because I want to download this. What is this ? Strange and terrible.

I really start to dont like Joomla, maybe it is because I tried other cms what are up to date, not so heavy and do the same job with faster loading, more easy working on backend and what is important ... are very familiar and friendly to users. Long time I stay just with Joomla, beacuse I like it and I thinked, that Joomla will go up to date and will improve some things ... Not ! Joomla did nothing, just kicked me to looking for other cms, I did it and checked more cms.
I had 8 Joomla website, already 4 changed to other cms ... I m more satisfied with all 4 new website, much faster, easier and my users feel better on these website.

I need to finish my crying ... just other things, Joomla use phBB forum, it is ok, it is the best open source forum probably, why not ? nothing wrong with it. Also many members of Joomla forum and community use Wordpress for bloging, it is ok, why not, it is much better for bloging than Joomla.
Ok, for what is Joomla better, if the big part of their community is running on non joomla extensions ???
If I like Mercedes, I will make Mercedes and I will write about Mercedes, why I will use BMW ? ... maybe because I starting feel, that my old car is not so good like before and can not fit my requirements.

Really now I dont know why use Joomla instead of other cms, I loved Joomla, but now looking for other solutions for my website, because I see Joomla put energy to wrong place.
- Heavy cms what nobody use without extensions, with extensions ussually so heavy, that you wait long time after every click on website.
I dont konw statistics, but I think, that less peapole use joomla or browse about joomla these days like before ... I think that.

I know that what I write is not world's true about Joomla, it is just my opinion, it is not attack, I dont want to attack to Joomla or Joomla comunity, just today I feel to share this my long story about what I feel long time about Joomla.

Hope nobody will take this my useless words as personal or comunity attack.

Good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:52 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 am
Posts: 197
Location: Sydney, Australia
Firstly I'd like to point out that unlike some other projects, Joomla is completely community [drive] and all the work is done by volunteers. If there is something you don't like, then put your hand up to volunteer to help make it better. There are many ways to contribute to the project, you don't need to be a programmer.

Now if you are looking for a light weight distribution of Joomla, you might want to take a look at Squareone CMS. Essentially it's the Joomla core with a lot of things taken out, and it's stripped down to the bare minimum.
https://github.com/square-one/square-one-cms

Or if you want even lighter, you can use the Joomla Platform and write applications that run on Joomla code without any of the CMS.
http://api.joomla.org/

If you have issues with individual extension developers, I suggest you write to them with your concerns so that they can improve their product or service.

With regards to Joomla 3.0, as this is the first release in a new series it's only aimed at the early adopters. The mainstream release will be the long term Joomla 3.5 which most people should use. There is nothing wrong with Joomla 3.0, it's got some great new features, but some extension developers have not made their products compatible yet, so people building new sites may have to compromise on the extensions they want to use. Give it a few months and this wont be an issue.

_________________
Tim Plummer - Tweet @bfsurvey


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:08 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm
Posts: 20151
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
FlashRebel wrote:
I use Joomla for my websites few years. Long time I was not in this forum, because before I type to much, I was banned, so I stoped writing here.

Sorry, but that statement is not right. Nobody gets banned at this forum because of too much typing.
It's the kind of typing that might people get banned (continuous violating the forum rules, spam, useless messages to self promote their signature etc).

FlashRebel wrote:
When I m looking now to Joomla at all, it is heavy cms with totally slow perfomance and tons of unnecesarry things - modules, components, plugins and miss some good things there.

I have a feeling (I didn't do performance tests myself) that Joomla 2.5 performs faster then Joomla 1.5 :)
And you don't need all modules and plugins.

btw: Joomla 2.5 got rid of the Polls extension that was in Joomla 1.5 by default.
I have read some complaints about the removal, which also shows that everybody us using Joomla in a different way,
and that the developers have to find an optimum in core features vs 3rd party extension features that can be added later... :)

FlashRebel wrote:
Also third part extension are horible, half of them you can not use for good website, other part have many bugs, others stay totaly in past with functions and looking.

Yes, the quality of the 3rd party extensions varies a lot.
Because Joomla has an open source GPL license, everybody is free to extend it by creating their own extensions.
The advantage is that you have a lot of choice, the disadvantage is that it can be difficult to find the right extensions for your project.

FlashRebel wrote:
Just on starting - registration - name, username ?? for what both ??? Who like fill tons of formulars ?

You can change that yourself.

FlashRebel wrote:
Also third part extension - free, almost everywhere you need register before downloading ... for what ??? They need my email adress or my name + username ? Nobody need it, ok, if they want to do marketing, they can ask for email ... this I understand and I wil unuscribe sure after that, so its only waste of time and database.

I totally understand your feeling!

This is *not* a Joomla related issue, but a marketing related one that you will see at other sites as well.

To give away something for free, some companies want your personal details so that they can send you advertising.
With the extra generated sales from it they can finance the production of new free products,
or the marketing department can justify their expenses on the free product.

I do not like advertising at all so I use a separate email account to register at such sites.
The registration still feels like a waste of time, but at least I won't be bothered by any marketing emails in the future.
I would prefer other methods, e.g. free extensions with paid support, or free extensions with paid addons.

FlashRebel wrote:
Many extensions are for J2,5, some are for 3.0 ...what is it ? We have Joomla 3.0 and I read everywhere no to use it.
It is much better than 2,5, why no use it ? Because third party are not able to make extensions ? Then dont do 3.0 if third party can not do extensions for it.
How can I use 2,5 if 3,0 is better ? This time if I do new site, I will never use 2,5, better change extension which is ready, but never use older Joomla 2.5 because is really outdated.


I would use Joomla 2.5 for my clients because it's more stable (read: less bugs, and it's the current Long Term Support version) and there are more 3rd party extensions available.
I also use Joomla 2.5 on most of my own sites.

At the moment I would only use Joomla 3.0 on sites that need the extra functionality:
e.g. multilanguage sites that need Content Association (2.5 only has Menu Item Association) http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... s-new.html
Or customers that want the nice back-end bootstrap template.

_________________
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator - Community Leadership Team
http://www.db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
Joomla 2.5 multilanguage in 10 steps: http://www.db8.nl/en/joomla-presentatio ... ge-website


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:34 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm
Posts: 20151
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
FlashRebel wrote:
Please tell which good nice website use ''Newsfeed or Messagings or Weblinks or Wrapper or Who is online ? and other tons of unusefuly outdated toys ?
Also core of Joomla, - contect, articles and tons of toys around it, Who is it ? Who want to have good and nice website need to implement third part extensions for it and then Joomla website start be so heavy, slowly in performance and strange for users ! Strange for admin, Strange for servers and strange for our heavy databases on servers.

Joomla is being used by so many different users with so many different backgrounds for so many different kind of websites.
The current selection of Components, Modules, Plugins, Templates, Language files is a choice to give this broad group of users a good starting point to build their own site.

Note that Components, Modules, Templates and Language files that you don't use, and Plugins that are unpublished won't use any of the webservers resources, those only use some disk space...

FlashRebel wrote:
just other things, Joomla use phBB forum, it is ok, it is the best open source forum probably, why not ? nothing wrong with it. Also many members of Joomla forum and community use Wordpress for bloging, it is ok, why not, it is much better for bloging than Joomla.
Ok, for what is Joomla better, if the big part of their community is running on non joomla extensions ???
If I like Mercedes, I will make Mercedes and I will write about Mercedes, why I will use BMW ? ... maybe because I starting feel, that my old car is not so good like before and can not fit my requirements.

One of the freedoms of open source software is the freedom of choice :)

IMHO it's very good that people from the Joomla community use a broad range of other (open source) software,
because we can always learn of the good points of other software... :)

Regarding Joomla forum: For Joomla there is an excellent 3rd party forum extension called Kunena.
But that wasn't available at the start of Joomla forum in 2005, or when we switched to phpBB3 a couple of years later.

FlashRebel wrote:
Really now I dont know why use Joomla instead of other cms, I loved Joomla, but now looking for other solutions for my website, because I see Joomla put energy to wrong place.
- Heavy cms what nobody use without extensions, with extensions ussually so heavy, that you wait long time after every click on website.
I dont konw statistics, but I think, that less peapole use joomla or browse about joomla these days like before ... I think that.

I know that what I write is not world's true about Joomla, it is just my opinion, it is not attack, I dont want to attack to Joomla or Joomla comunity, just today I feel to share this my long story about what I feel long time about Joomla.

Hope nobody will take this my useless words as personal or comunity attack.

There will always be room for improvement!
However, actively helping out with improvements will be more effective
then to only state an opinion about how things should be improved.
Have you thought of a way to contribute your time and efforts within the community in improving Joomla itself?

And if you feel that Joomla is too heavy for your project, then maybe you could follow tuum's suggestion above
and try Squareone CMS: https://github.com/square-one/square-one-cms

_________________
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator - Community Leadership Team
http://www.db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
Joomla 2.5 multilanguage in 10 steps: http://www.db8.nl/en/joomla-presentatio ... ge-website


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Online

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 am
Posts: 12558
Location: The Girly Side of Joomla in Sussex
Quote:
They need my email adress or my name + username ? Nobody need it, ok, if they want to do marketing, they can ask for email ... this I understand and I wil unuscribe sure after that, so its only waste of time and database.

some developers use it to inform you of security updates and other bug fixes (we hope they all would do).

_________________
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{Community.Connect Administrator }{ Showcase & Security Moderator}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:03 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Posts: 669
pe7er thank you for your replies, I feel, that you underastand me.
I would like to ask ... if I turn off core components, modules, plugins - it will dont use any source ? Nothing from frontend, from browser will try to search for it or try to send some details to it ?
Because when I uninstall some core components or also templates, then sometimes I catch some errors, ussualy during update joomla.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm
Posts: 20151
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
FlashRebel wrote:
if I turn off core components, modules, plugins - it will dont use any source ? Nothing from frontend, from browser will try to search for it or try to send some details to it ?
Because when I uninstall some core components or also templates, then sometimes I catch some errors, ussualy during update joomla.

I would not remove Joomla's core extensions (components, modules, plugins),
I would only disable (unpublish) those in the back-end.

PS: I don't know the status of the lightweight Joomla distribution "Square One CMS" as mentioned earlier in this topic.
It looks like it hasn't been updated to include the latest Joomla 2.5.9.

_________________
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator - Community Leadership Team
http://www.db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
Joomla 2.5 multilanguage in 10 steps: http://www.db8.nl/en/joomla-presentatio ... ge-website


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Posts: 669
Oh, all the time I wanna log into Joomla I need resend password or put captcha or do some things what takes few minutes :(
Anywhere on internet I can choose my password how I want, just on Joomla I need milions account on every section - forum, extensions ...
Sure my password need to have one big letter at least, some number ... I nowhere use it, so I dont remember that, only here so always problems with login.
Make it simply ! This is horrible for users who dont visit Joomla site every day ten times !

Pe7er Yes, you right, I learned, that better unpublish core components than uninstall :) Also I will not use Square One CMS, it looks not updated and I maybe after few months it will die :) small community probbably there.
Oh again nervous bc. try to do something with my Joomla website, but it is almost not possible.
One poor developer of polls ask for registration, he is listed in extension of Joomla. I registered, but after 9 hours I m still not able to download it, bc. I wait for confirm my registration :D omg, this is totaly poor, I will never use any free or paid component from that kind of poor developers. So ok, they checking me, if I m not terorist maybe, but it is taking all day, still waiting, Christmas is close, so maybe they will accept my registration until end of year ... oh
... after that I try to login here, try to make reviews to extension directory of Joomla, but so many problems with login, ... this is really horrible.
Why is it so complicated here in Joomla ? It can be so simply. Oh , really it can be so simply without any trouble, I want download, I want login, why I can not do in Joomla like everywhere ??? Why I have always some trouble here ?
This is way how Joomla is loosing users, I m sure with this complicated way of working Joomla is loosing.

So today I did nothing on my Joomla website, just got idea try to remake it to Wordpress.

Anyways, Joomla 3.0 looks good, better than Joomla 2.5 , but can not use it, almost nothing ready for it, bc. it is short support ... Only few weeks ago Mosets finished new Mosets what support J2.5 :D But 3.0 is out few months, and they just finished component for 2.5, what can I say ? ... nothing ... I need to find solution for my website,

I really hope Joomla will change little bit and make things more simply, more light, more transparent ...
Joomla is now really trouble and complicated for me, I m more than sure, that for new users are totaly unusable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:12 pm 
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:56 pm
Posts: 53
tuum wrote:
Firstly I'd like to point out that unlike some other projects, Joomla is completely community [drive] and all the work is done by volunteers. If there is something you don't like, then put your hand up to volunteer to help make it better. There are many ways to contribute to the project, you don't need to be a programmer.

Now if you are looking for a light weight distribution of Joomla, you might want to take a look at Squareone CMS. Essentially it's the Joomla core with a lot of things taken out, and it's stripped down to the bare minimum.
https://github.com/square-one/square-one-cms

Or if you want even lighter, you can use the Joomla Platform and write applications that run on Joomla code without any of the CMS.
http://api.joomla.org/

If you have issues with individual extension developers, I suggest you write to them with your concerns so that they can improve their product or service.

With regards to Joomla 3.0, as this is the first release in a new series it's only aimed at the early adopters. The mainstream release will be the long term Joomla 3.5 which most people should use. There is nothing wrong with Joomla 3.0, it's got some great new features, but some extension developers have not made their products compatible yet, so people building new sites may have to compromise on the extensions they want to use. Give it a few months and this wont be an issue.


How often do you need to update square one? I just installed it on my local system- it is Joomla! 2.5.7. is it safe to use it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:55 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 am
Posts: 197
Location: Sydney, Australia
un10cked wrote:
How often do you need to update square one? I just installed it on my local system- it is Joomla! 2.5.7. is it safe to use it?


Unfortunately Jeremy made the decision to discontinue Square One, you can read about why here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... YjoQ8d4oV4

No it is not safe to use Joomla 2.5.7, you should upgrade to the current version 2.5.17 as there have been some security issues fixed in the more recent versions.

The good news is that Andrew Eddie is forming a distributions working group to look at how Joomla can make various distributions of the CMS, and there is talk of a "Joomla Lite" distribution which would be similar to Square One. I encourage you to get involved:
http://developer.joomla.org/news/569-jo ... group.html

regards

Tim

_________________
Tim Plummer - Tweet @bfsurvey


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:03 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:16 pm
Posts: 1252
Location: Texas
FlashRebel wrote:
Hi all,

Long time I was not in this forum, because before I type to much, I was banned, so I stoped writing here.



I remember you. Several hundred posts per day, one word replies that contributed nothing to the topic. It was obvious that you were posting for forum rank. Didn't anyone tell you that only Webdongle gets away with that? (it had to be said, and he does contribute greatly - but he posts a lot)

Regarding your rant/post, there are many third party extensions that address the things you bring up. Eliminating username (in favor of email) is possible with 2 different extensions in the JED, one commercial and one non-commercial.

2.5 vs 3.x - easy, 3.x is the future. It's for those who want to be on the cutting edge. The problem with the cutting edge is that it's sharp - as a developer of 2.5 and 3.x extensions - I get cut by changes in 3.x way more often than I do with 2.5 extensions. The framework changes occasionally and it requires work to keep extensions up to date. If you want stability and support in the long term, you go 2.5. If you want to be a rock star on the raggety edge - you go 3.x. It's relatively simple.

There are a lot of people using the articles feature in the Joomla CMS. There are also a lot of newbies who want to have every extension under the sun installed and they're the ones that end up with ugly sites that are too busy. One of the nice things about Joomla is that there's something for everyone. Some people want it all, and eventually they regret that decision.

Whatever you were trying to say about the login module was incoherent. Some 3rd party extension didn't work? Why complain here? You'd be better served by talking to the person who wrote the 3rd party extension.

You are right about one important point - Joomla is getting heavy. Too heavy for high availability, for sure. Even the JED went down twice this past weekend. Even Rochen can't keep it running under a heavy load and they're supposedly experts.

_________________
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/owner/stutteringp0et
Honk if this signature offends you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 265
Location: Pune, India
@FlashRebel Lets help change that ! What are the 5 things you want to change about Joomla ? A lot of the change is happening..

_________________
Parth Lawate Director
Tekdi Web Solutions. http://www.tekdi.net
Techjoomla. http://www.techjoomla.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 736
Location: Stockholm Sweden
A quicker way of login in is to use a 3pd for login with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter accounts etc so then you don't need the reg process for your site.

What I would like Joomla to do is to make a sso Wordpress system so we also automate easy blogging with Joomla and get a larger user base that can master Joomla blogging. Joomla community or some private initiative like Rochen?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/04/15/ ... 0-million/

_________________
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Posts: 669
Joomla is still going wrong way ...
in Joomla 3.3 as news are
Quote:
The 3.3 release introduces new features into the CMS such as improved password hashing and microdata and optimizes the code with performance improvements to the routing system and the continued conversion of MooTools based JavaScript to jQuery.


So now my users have beter hashed password, some microdata somewhere hidden ... but canonical turned off, bc. does not works well. So google will send me less visitors - less users, but that small amount of users have great hashed password ... this it no way how can Joomla stay alive.

Also - new feature ''Cloud storage'' ... what part of website developers will use it ? do you think more than 5% of website builder who using Joomla ?

Why coders in Joomla are focused on these ''features'' instead of repair or rebuild some core functions which works not so well ?

Also always promoted ACL ... its nice, but what part of builders use it ? Is it really so imporant for majority of Joomla builders to have different permisions for users/admins ?

It is 2014 ... Joomla need to change mind ... Its not the same like 10 years before, that someone build website as blog and had other contributors, some administrators, some publishers ... This almost does not exist today. Website on internet does not work this way, why Joomla always keep this things and some really imporant functions miss ?

Still think login with username and name is totaly oldies, useles function for 90% website developers.

If Joomla want to stay alive need to be more progressive, really progressive and forgot about core component as - Messaging, Banners, Newsfeeds, Weblinks ... Which serious popular website use these ? If even find someone who wanna use it, maybe good idea to keep this work for 3rd party extions ...

Joomla developers please take a small look at the best - Wordpress and think about it, why it is the best, why milions of users take Wordpress instead of Joomla.

Edit: one small thing what make me nervous every day - who invent, (when I log out from administration and click on bottom right on link which brings me to my frontend website) that is opened in new window ? Also I would like to know, why this person made it like that ?

_________________
Last One Out Turn Off the Lights


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:37 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm
Posts: 20151
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
FlashRebel wrote:
Also always promoted ACL ... its nice, but what part of builders use it ? Is it really so imporant for majority of Joomla builders to have different permisions for users/admins ?

I have quite a few clients who use Joomla as Inter/Intranet website. It was one of the most sought after features in Joomla 1.5. The other were Multilanguage functionality & Tags. Both have been available in Joomla 2.5 (Tags in J3) and both have been improved in the most recent Joomla 3.3.0.

FlashRebel wrote:
It is 2014 ... Joomla need to change mind ... Its not the same like 10 years before, that someone build website as blog and had other contributors, some administrators, some publishers ... This almost does not exist today. Website on internet does not work this way, why Joomla always keep this things and some really imporant functions miss ?

What really important functions does Joomla 3.x miss?

You can add functions yourself by installing 3rd party extensions.
And if you want to improve Joomla, then please help developing some code at https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms
or help with testing patches:
http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Bug_Squad
http://docs.joomla.org/Component_Patcht ... or_Testers

FlashRebel wrote:
If Joomla want to stay alive need to be more progressive, really progressive and forgot about core component as - Messaging, Banners, Newsfeeds, Weblinks ... Which serious popular website use these ? If even find someone who wanna use it, maybe good idea to keep this work for 3rd party extions ...

Yes, you are right. Some core components are probably not used much and might better be removed & available as external core extensions (uninstallable via Joomla install from web installer).

I use Banners quite often because my clients request banners on their site.
Sometimes I use Joomla's default Banners, other times I prefer 3rd party banner extensions.

The core Weblinks component will be removed soon, see "Decouple Weblinks" http://developer.joomla.org/news/583-an ... s-3-4.html

FlashRebel wrote:
Joomla developers please take a small look at the best - Wordpress and think about it, why it is the best, why milions of users take Wordpress instead of Joomla.

Actually, do you have much experience with WordPress?
If so, I can use your help! http://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue ... umentation

FlashRebel wrote:
Edit: one small thing what make me nervous every day - who invent, (when I log out from administration and click on bottom right on link which brings me to my frontend website) that is opened in new window ? Also I would like to know, why this person made it like that ?

You can report it as bug and/or submit a patch for it at github.

_________________
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator - Community Leadership Team
http://www.db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
Joomla 2.5 multilanguage in 10 steps: http://www.db8.nl/en/joomla-presentatio ... ge-website


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:27 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Posts: 669
It looks good http://developer.joomla.org/cms/roadmap.html

Quote:
Remove additional components and all associated pieces. (com_newsfeeds, com_banners, com_contacts, com_search, com_finder, com_redirect, com_messages). Remove sample data from installation; place in post install.


I think its right decision to take these extension out of core Joomla

_________________
Last One Out Turn Off the Lights


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Posts: 669
Just some interesting facts

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= ... mla,Drupal

http://w3techs.com/technologies/overvie ... gement/all

It looks like we are dying :(

Wordpress and Drupal have target - niche ... while Joomla want to do everything :D its not possible these days. Ussually who want to do everything for everybody, do nothing for noobody on the end.

Maybe some ''titan'' inside Joomla can take resposibility and give ''goal'' for Joomla ... otherwise we will balance balance and then follow down.

Sometimes when I work with worpdress i really imagining how it could be great if some amazing themes/plugins for wordpress are fited to Joomla ...

Joomla is still so powerfull compared to Wordpress and can do much much more than Wordpres ... but in the most of case Joomla fails - ussualy bc. SEF, bugs and slowly updates, which only follow what happens in past, scare to make own standards, trends which others will follow.

Also its good to compare these two documents
http://developer.joomla.org/news/586-joomla-development-strategy.html
vs
http://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/

Also we can see how SEF url looks and how shouldn't , how many normal users can read one and how many another document.

I read Joomla roundmap , good plan there, but paintfull is that for SEF urls without bugs I need wait minimum 1 more year. Instead of SEF urls, what need everyone who install Joomla, there is higher multi-language support improvements, what use minority of users ... I think.

Why Joomla first improve minority requests than majority core ?

_________________
Last One Out Turn Off the Lights


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:24 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:54 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Slovenia
pe7er wrote:
You can add functions yourself by installing 3rd party extensions.
And if you want to improve Joomla, then please help developing some code at https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms
or help with testing patches:
http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Bug_Squad
http://docs.joomla.org/Component_Patcht ... or_Testers


Sure you can. What about all those features, which should be 100% top by default?
-top wysiwyg editor - Joomla tiny in those years still isnt capable to embed simple [youtube] and media manager is pain in the a..
-top SEO - Joomla still have problems with basic seo
-top update system - at Joomla you never know what you gonna get (who need updated osm banner?)
...

First resolve major issues with core, then suggest 3rd party.

BTW...this forum is today damn slow and almost unusable ;)

_________________
www.sijoomla.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group