Reduce ridiculous number of files in installation of joomla

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
b22c
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Reduce ridiculous number of files in installation of joomla

Post by b22c » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:19 pm

When host providers have Unlimited disk space they are not telling the true, only after you sign and ask they will tell you that afterall theres a limit by file, by size of database and more 1 or 2.
Some host providers limit to 75.000 files, others 50.000 others 150.000 etc.
I check for instance phpbb3 have about 1900 files after installation, wordpress have similar or less, but Joomla have around 9000 files after installation, if a host provider limit their "unlimited disk space" to say about 75.000 files i could install about 8 joomla installations and About 38 phpbb3 installations.
Because of this webmasters have to buy other host plan to have more than 8 installations of joomla.
I have about 2 domains and 8 subdomains with joomla and now i have about 100.000 files. if were on phpb3 with this domains and subdomains i only have about 19.000 files !!! Thats a lot less !!!
I know that phpbb3 and wordpress are more simple and different from joomla but joomla developers should pay attention to this and try to reduce the huge number of files in future joomla versions.
Cheers

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Reduce ridiculous number of files in installation of joo

Post by andypooz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I think you just need to find a better host. What a ridiculous idea, limiting the number of files an account can have. I wouldn't stay with them. Reducing the number of files would take a lot of work and would probably result in performance loss, and its not worth doing just to indulge the stupid ristirctions of a few hosts. Move to one that doesn't restrict this.
You do mention it, but comparing wordpress/phpbb with Joomla is like comparing a car to a couple of skateboards and then asking for the car to have the same number of parts as your skateboards.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Reduce ridiculous number of files in installation of joo

Post by andypooz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Wordpress is probably a mobility scooter, not a skateboard, skateboards are too exciting.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”