My idea

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
MrBennets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

My idea

Post by MrBennets » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:54 pm

What if Joomla was the easiest way to insatall a webpage on? And if everyone knew that you needed low knowlede to get a decent homepage. Wouldent that sell alot?
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod note: locked topic to stop attracting spam

MrBennets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: My idea

Post by MrBennets » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:00 pm

I may add that i´m new at Joomla. So that I want it to be easy is the main thing ^^

When I first was about to get a webpage, I thought it would cost alot. But when I found the CMS I noticed that it would be pretty easy actually. But if my friend havent told me, I would buy one instead.

Cas87
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cas87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 pm

I agree Joomla should be a bit more ''noob'' friendly..

While i consider it a different league to Wordpress, Wordpress does have the advantage of being extremely ''noob'' friendly

AppD
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AppD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Cas87 wrote:While i consider it a different league to Wordpress, Wordpress does have the advantage of being extremely ''noob'' friendly
What do you mean Wordpress is in a different league to Joomla? Is Wordpress really that much easier to use?
http://appducate.com - Educating the Mac and iOS User

MrBennets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MrBennets » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 am

Wordpress has a blog-feeling thing over it. It makes it feel alot easier. Joomla would do something lika 1-click installer or so :)

gabaSupplement
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gabaSupplement » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Yes i agree with you @MrBennets. Joomla need to more 'new' user friendly . If you do not have any idea/knowledge about Joomla then its quite difficult to install it. on the other hand anyone can use wordpress with low knowledge about website building .
Thanks Best Regards.
You are welcome to my site http://scholarship4u.info and http://www.gabasupplement.us Hope you get help (If needed )

bergywinetours
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bergywinetours » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Whatever tickles your fancy (as we say in England). I guess you need to stick with it and find the suitable platform you are comfortable with. I use both WP and Joomla.

Cheers

drobertson123
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by drobertson123 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:50 am

I wouldn't necessarily want Joomla to become wordpress, but it could certainly use some user interface guidelines and consistency in the way it does things. Joomla is a long way from user friendly.

Once you add a few extensions in you suddenly have numerous places and ways to configure items. Things are popping onto the control panel that have the exact same function as the item next to them. Important settings could be on a config page or buried in the settings of a plug in, template or module.

Does it really benefit me to have to sort out if I should change the Settings, Options or Configuration? Why are there intensely complicated and rarely used settings on the "Basic Options" tab and a place to put a CSS class on the "Advanced Options" tab.

Putting huge lists of rarely used options interspersed with the few useful ones makes it hard for new users to figure Joomla out.

I recently saw another post where someone took offense at the idea that Joomla wasn't mature. It really isn't. If anything I see it as a promising teenager. It has a great future, but it still needs to clean up its messy room. I do truly like Joomla and plan on sticking with it. This isn't hate mail, but there is some valid criticisms that should be paid attention to.

alexandria777
I've been banned!

Post by alexandria777 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:18 am

Hi! I worked with WordPress (I didn't have any additional skills or knowledge but I managed to run a website with WP) and I can say that it is easier than working with Joomla. But now I'm a little bit experienced and chose Joomla as a platform for my website.

JaneBeaufort
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JaneBeaufort » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

alexandria777 wrote:Hi! I worked with WordPress (I didn't have any additional skills or knowledge but I managed to run a website with WP) and I can say that it is easier than working with Joomla. But now I'm a little bit experienced and chose Joomla as a platform for my website.
Well, wordpress is truly user-friendly, but the flexibility that joomla brings to its users are endless. But then again you need to have coding experience to get along with joomla.

alexandria777
I've been banned!

Post by alexandria777 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 pm

JaneBeaufort wrote:
alexandria777 wrote:Hi! I worked with WordPress (I didn't have any additional skills or knowledge but I managed to run a website with WP) and I can say that it is easier than working with Joomla. But now I'm a little bit experienced and chose Joomla as a platform for my website.
Well, wordpress is truly user-friendly, but the flexibility that joomla brings to its users are endless. But then again you need to have coding experience to get along with joomla.
It's true. Joomla has far more functions and moreover, now I can manage with codes (although WordPress is easy to use, it also requires some knowledge in HTML).

drobertson123
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by drobertson123 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 pm

I do think Joomla is more flexible than WP and that is great. In fact that is what drew me to use Joomla in the first place.

The issue I see is that along with the flexibility has come a lot of chaos. It would be well worth the effort to establish some community based guideline on how things should be done. Some general standards would help reduce the issue of everyone doing things a different way and causing lots of confusion for users of Joomla.

This doesn't mean that you couldn't do something differently, but that there is an incentive for developers to use community standard guideline when they do create something.

I could see a set of standards for the UI aspects of extensions and coding standards for the PHP inside. It would be great to know that an extension that I am about to buy has a 'Complies with Joomla Community UI Standards' certification with it. It would quickly let me know what to expect and help me make my decision. The added benefit is that it would reduce the frustration of new users as they learn Joomla. One way of doing things is far easier to learn than 10 different ways of doing things.

drobertson123
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by drobertson123 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't really care about WordPress one way or another, I don't use it. I would however like to see Joomla mature a bit. It is a great CMS, but it is a mess in many ways. A little effort to clean itself up and have some consistency would go a long way towards making Joomla a more appealing platform.

Right now the adoption numbers for Joomla vs Wordpress & Drupal look kinda grim. Joomla is losing attention faster than any of the other platforms. Part of that is the unnecessary learning curve that Joomla has. Every new extension I add to the system bring along different ways of doing things and a whole load of associated problems. New adopters are not necessarily programmers who can dive into the code to figure out why an extension is failing. They also want to learn a basic system and use it. Joomla could improve in these areas and reverse this slide it is in.

I really would like to see Joomla succeed for the long term and to do that they need to make it easier to use.

GetPresto
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GetPresto » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Joomla is definitely headed in a direction of continually improving their user experience. Twitter's bootstrap theme being natively available, as one example, really takes the look and feel of the admin panel to a new level.

Milkoviz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Milkoviz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

I agree. I first decided to go with Wordpress just because it was extremely easy for a beginner. Now that I've learned more how the things work I'm starting to like Joomla more and more. "Noob friendly" Joomla would definitely bring more users to it.

HKUZ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by HKUZ » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:15 am

Milkoviz wrote:I agree. I first decided to go with Wordpress just because it was extremely easy for a beginner. Now that I've learned more how the things work I'm starting to like Joomla more and more. "Noob friendly" Joomla would definitely bring more users to it.
I am still working with WordPress and beginning to learn Joomla. I first touched Joomla when it was version 1.5 and chose to work with WordPress since most of my clients prefer its UI. Anyway, I am so eager to dig deeper into what Joomla 3.0 (and soon maybe 3.5? ) can bring on the table. Something like Bootstrap theme available for Joomla 3.0 - one thing I love the most. What's next Joomla? Can't wait to see :)

From my experience, clients just love what the developer teaches on how to work on their websites (post new articles, upload photos, etc). Once they master is, they will just think that it is the BEST. On the other side, they NEVER compare one CMS to another. Once they are used to with it, most probably they will stick with it 'for quite a while' - maybe until they get another developer introducing them to a 'brand new' CMS.

Back to the topic first mentioned. Does it need to make Joomla easier to work with for noob? What is easier then? Something like WordPress? I don't think so, for those 'noobs' that are used to with Joomla will find Joomla easier than WordPress.

I hope Joomla stays as Joomla, develops to be a better Joomla...

*Just my two cents*

awsaf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by awsaf » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 pm

HKUZ wrote:
Milkoviz wrote:I agree. I first decided to go with Wordpress just because it was extremely easy for a beginner. Now that I've learned more how the things work I'm starting to like Joomla more and more. "Noob friendly" Joomla would definitely bring more users to it.
I am still working with WordPress and beginning to learn Joomla. I first touched Joomla when it was version 1.5 and chose to work with WordPress since most of my clients prefer its UI. Anyway, I am so eager to dig deeper into what Joomla 3.0 (and soon maybe 3.5? ) can bring on the table. Something like Bootstrap theme available for Joomla 3.0 - one thing I love the most. What's next Joomla? Can't wait to see :)

From my experience, clients just love what the developer teaches on how to work on their websites (post new articles, upload photos, etc). Once they master is, they will just think that it is the BEST. On the other side, they NEVER compare one CMS to another. Once they are used to with it, most probably they will stick with it 'for quite a while' - maybe until they get another developer introducing them to a 'brand new' CMS.

Back to the topic first mentioned. Does it need to make Joomla easier to work with for noob? What is easier then? Something like WordPress? I don't think so, for those 'noobs' that are used to with Joomla will find Joomla easier than WordPress.

I hope Joomla stays as Joomla, develops to be a better Joomla...

*Just my two cents*
certainly i find Joomla easier than WordPress....
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Manual Signature Removed

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 am

MrBennets wrote:Wordpress has a blog-feeling thing over it. It makes it feel alot easier. Joomla would do something lika 1-click installer or so :)
Yes I think you are right there bcs Wordpress had the focus on the real end user using the system and just write = blogs And that Wordpress provide a quick way of setting up your own blog in a one-->to many structure while as Joomla also is better on many--->many structure that needs more complex structure for a web many user system..

FabricDepot
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FabricDepot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:03 am

Hi! I worked with WordPress.com and I can say that it is easier than working with Joomla.org

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:20 am

FabricDepot wrote:Hi! I worked with WordPress.com and I can say that it is easier than working with Joomla.org
Yes thats right if you are working as an end user with simple blogs and having "a one user system" with simple requirements.

And you create a Wordpress cloud blog where all installation for a blog system is created automatically - this is how most people know about a blog system where they can post their own blogs but to create a more complicated future rich cms web system is something different depending on many requirements that small-medium sized companies have and will have.

If you plan to grow your site then Joomla also fits better.

As a developer Joomla is more cost effiecent and easier/quicker to set up compared to Wordpress, Drupal. That have real world dev test showed by real world test cms magazine.

Thats real facts of real world tests and not biased Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress opinions.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:24 am

Code: Select all

Joomla would do something lika 1-click installer or so :)
Joomla have 1-click installer and you upgrade with 1-click and you can always by you host have automatic installer of Joomla. This is not true and is info that is 6-7 years old.

Everything with Joomla today is automatic updating from install Joomla core to updates to update of extra extension.

Joomla has 1-click installer/updater everywhere!

Just to give you one example: https://www.siteground.com/joomla-hosting.htm that many other automatic Joomla features too also with Cloudflare etc

READ and learn the truth....

Here you can test 30 days
https://demo.joomla.org/

Here you can set up your own 1 click installer example too
https://www.joomla.com/

Join the millions already using Joomla!

It is free to start and free forever.

Joomla.com

Joomla.com allows you to use a slightly modified version of Joomla! CMS to create awesome free hosted websites.

ansaripk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ansaripk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:56 am

Wordpress was developed to be a blogging platform and then community contribution made it to use as CMS system but wordpress is still a blogging system while Joomla is a true CMS for professional websites. If you feel difficult to install joomla then you should read the installation manual. I think it is not as difficult as you are thinking. :)

HRADigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HRADigital » Mon May 11, 2015 4:49 pm

I have to say one thing!!!
If Joomla is aiming to go after WP, and is trying to take it's place, then Joomla is condemned, and to be honest, I don't see it surviving more than 2/3 years...
Is going to die just like it's predecessor (mambo).

There are only a few ways you can simplify a CMS (blog based or not)... If WP is champion in this field, why go after it, I wonder?!?!
Why would someone go from WP to Joomla, to do exactly the same thing they were doing in WP?! What is the benefit?! What do they gain?! What does the client gain?!

Just take a look at the smartphone competitors!! Why do they keep suing each other over copyright infringements?! Why can't they created something new, that is different from everyone else?! Because the solution found, was the most "noob" friendly there is, and so far, there is no more "noobier" solution out there...

Joomla is an extensible platform!! It's modular!!! It should focus on that, period!!!
Does it make sense (in modular terms) to use an extra step, and add an article to a menu in order for it to show up in the front-end, even if it is less "noob" firendly?!?! Then keep it!!!!
Does it make sense (in modular terms) to force an article/record to have a category associated to it, even if it is less "noob" friendly?! Then keep it!!!

Joomla should focus on its modular capabilities/extensibility/scalability!!!
Joomla should clean up its filesystem structure!!!
Joomla should clean up their MVC pattern!!!
Joomla should automate and clean all its core extensions...
Joomla shouldn't be going dumber!!! It should be going smarter!!!! It should focus on quality!!!
But it doesn't seam to be doing that either!!!

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue May 12, 2015 7:02 am

I said that many times before here in the forums and I think thats the problem in Joomla and other CMS systems too. That you not learn from other CMS competitors and new CMS cloud systems really.

I think that Joomla should create an analysis group to see what functions UX they can take from other CMS systems like WP, Drupal, Typo3 etc and copy them to Joomla. Things can be smarter than your own backyard cant they?

And I think Joomla can compete with WP i f they understand why WP have gain so much lately..but it have to be people and priority to make this happened.

smpleader
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by smpleader » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:51 am

Thanks HRADigital & darb, I totally agree with you.
Joomla must be smarter , and improve its UX.
I prefer Joomla because of its wonder extend-ability , and nice MVC .
I felt a little worries about its current slow improvement in platform ( they applied framework, but it doesn't power the usage and development ) .
Version 3.4 have applied FoF , but I afraid this is temporary , because Joomla both have its own framewok in development, and mostly we still use Legacy and merge of old-new frameworks.
It's something trouble in orientation here ?
I am glad to hear more from you, Joomla guys. Thank you very much for your share.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Well this sometimes can be the trouble for the core dev guys taking decisions that maybe doesnt work in the long run for everybody in the community but is fancy in the moment. This is my on reflection after being with Joomla since start...

So I have seen that decisions like what is better for me/us to play with now can be more important than take on the helicopter business strategic planning view of how things should work for everyone in the long run.

It like comparing BetaMax or VHS video standard? In Joomla world that is similar with some decisions like what is best Mootools or Jquery?

Well if you are only thinking and have skills and loud voice in the dev tech team they win short handed and Mootools s..t will win. These tech guys leave the ship but the whole Joomla community have this garbage stuck everywhere in the code with one of Joomla worst [censored] ever = the java script problems with Jquery etc al. This is one of most annoyeing thing I know about Joomla really and have caused so much pain that people dont understand...

Same thinking goes with some example discussions Sections/categories, Categories/Menus, SEF/routing problem...

So what Joomla need is very professional and skilled experienced guys that understand the vision and the future of web publishing requirements to create the architecture of Joomla code building blocks and structure for delivery of outstanding services.

So I hope that Joomla as a whole now with new structure can have a better future direction where many people join and together create, listening to each other and really try to understand whats the best way forward.

The problem is that is no priority and targets agreed to what we want to achieve from top to down and down to top to synchronise our work.

For example: what is the most priority of functions we want and how do we achieve that with the dev structure we have today? its not just about fun and contribute to the Joomla core its about priority i f Joomla should be a player in the future market where more and more services are similar to what a basic Joomla installation can do. This is important questions and have n o t h i n g to do about code. Its irrelevant.

smpleader
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by smpleader » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks Darb for your nice sharing.
I can see your big heart for Joomla :)
I think improve UX is the most priority here. Example : we have 3 layer of configuration for 1 article view. And, many options for the view, while those advantages mostly need always be turned off. It's good when have some dynamic options, but not anything.
Look at funny WP : some options just added by .. adding source code to template. and they win the market. Crazy world !
But we can learn 1 thing : simpler mean easier, and not always a full of ready food dishes more worth than a single hamburger .
Anyone please have more additional recommend ?
Thanks

HRADigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HRADigital » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41 am

smpleader wrote:I think improve UX is the most priority here. Example : we have 3 layer of configuration for 1 article view.
UX is not the problem in Joomla!!! Backend UX is great!!!
The thing with the 3 layer configuration, is that the Menu is the component that controls the context in the website.
Thats why Joomla controls the language and context option for you. That comes from the menu. And you always need a menu item loaded into context in Joomla, because that menu item is going to control what gets loaded in the application (modules and components). I don't think there's nothing wrong with this method, even though, I don't think it works at 100%.
smpleader wrote:Look at funny WP : some options just added by .. adding source code to template. and they win the market. Crazy world !
But we can learn 1 thing : simpler mean easier, and not always a full of ready food dishes more worth than a single hamburger.
That is the wrong point, in my opinion!!!
The right point is, if WP does it simpler, why should you choose Joomla?!?!?! Answer: You shouldn't!!!
If you have a known fast-food joint, next to your house, that does your favorite burger, why should you go 10 miles down the road, for the same fast-food brand, that makes the exact same burger for the same price?!?!?! Logic says you shouldn't, unless, you have some personal preference for the farthest location!!!!

So, why make more of the same?!?!?! Makes no sense!!!
The strongest "feature" in Joomla, in my opinion, is it's modularity!!! You add a good back-end, ACL, extensions management functionality, multi-RDBMS suport, etc, and you end up with a very good business tool, which is what Joomla is, and WP is not!!!!
Joomla is not better, for other kind of reasons... Front-end/back-end full detachment, unclean front-end code, crappy MVC, weak community, and a lack of a guideline, make Joomla "just" what it is...

Some other personal thoughts.
Careful while listening to so called "expert opinions" in the Internet!!!!
I once saw a video, of a so called WP expert advocating for WP, and the single reason he gave for his choice, was that WP was the most popular CMS out there.... I don't think people even think, before they open their mouths... I know what he meant by this sentence, but what does it really mean?!?!?
Three questions:
Which car is the most popular?!?!?!
Which OS is the most popular?!
Is your favorite car the same you answered in question 1, and is your favorite OS the one you answered in question 2?! Surely not!

Another story...
Recently, I saw a "so-called" Joomla expert, that goes to Joomla conferences as a speaker, asking on twitter where the hell did Weblinks went, after he updated some site!!! Well... "You tell me, Mr. expert"!!!!
This last story is just to exemplify, how detached are the so-called Joomla experts, from the questions that really matter!!!

smpleader
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by smpleader » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:09 pm

HRADigital, What's your recommend here, in short ?
Is there anything you can write down to improve Joomla ?
Thanks

HRADigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HRADigital » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:16 pm

smpleader wrote:HRADigital, What's your recommend here, in short ?
Is there anything you can write down to improve Joomla ?
Thanks
Is there anything you can improve?!

Return to “The Lounge”