Joomla must go Mobile 100%

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
aalfouzan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla must go Mobile 100%

Post by aalfouzan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 am

It's no brainer to conclude that the whole world is going mobile. So, we'll come to a point where websites as we know will no longer be of any importance, other than probably hosting the data of the mobile app/site. Actually we are already at this point.

The visitors rate of my sites is approx 3-5 per day, whereas of the same sites on mobile web apps is approx 200-350 per day. What a huge difference!

The current web app service providers did a good job in simply making a website's layout mobile friendly, but these web apps have a limit. You can only create informative mobile sites with, transferring the data from your site mainly as is with different layout and nothing more. So, basically a website/mobile app developer can't create interactive apps to have members login, access and publish data neither from/with Joomla's core components nor 3rd party's extensions.

Therefore, I believe to maintain success as a CMS, further step ahead of others and have a recognized landmark, the next version of Joomla should be 100% mobile ready. Extension developers should further follow the same step to keep up with the mobile revolution, which until now all CMS's are lagging behind, including 3rd party's extension developers. Regarding the latter, I'm surprised that major commercial extensions such as JomSocial have failed until now to make it mobile accessible. What are they doing with all that money.

Being 100% mobile ready means enabling full connection and access to the site's database by the mobile app that is connected to the site. Enabling such connection directly and simply through Joomla itself, rather than having to create ajax scripts and going through other coding requirements to achieve this purpose, which many, including myself, lack knowledge at.

Cheers.
"failing to plan, is planning to fail"

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla must go Mobile 100%

Post by brian » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:20 am

Joomla 3 is mobile. Have you actually tried it. I can't comment on jomsocial as that is an independent extension and you would be better to ask them if they support mobile
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

un10cked
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by un10cked » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:58 pm

I am happy to pay extra for an extention that supports mobile platforms...

Milkoviz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Milkoviz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 pm

brian wrote:Joomla 3 is mobile. Have you actually tried it. I can't comment on jomsocial as that is an independent extension and you would be better to ask them if they support mobile
Agreed. Joomla 3 works well in mobile. It's the extensions that may cause problems.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”