Archive table vs InnoDB for session table

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
waltsjt
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Archive table vs InnoDB for session table

Post by waltsjt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 pm

I've read the following: "In MySQL 5 there is a new table type called the 'archive table' type was introduced to deal with common requirements for web applications like access logs where only INSERTS and SELECTS were done. Basically if tables such as a Access Log table are determined to not have DELETE, UPDATE, and REPLACE then this MySQL engine type can often offer significant performance improvements as it has done for sites like Slashdot, Yahoo, and Live Journal."

Would the 'archive table' type benefit Joomla over the existing InnoDB table type for the session table? I don't know enough about the tables in joomla to know if there are any where only INSERTS and SELECTS are done. But if there are tables that meet this criteria, it seems like this would be a logical core performance improvement for any site using MySQL.
(sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where feature suggestions/ideas belonged)
this topic has been added to the Joomla Idea Pool under "Archive table rather than InnoDB for session table"

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Archive table vs InnoDB for session table

Post by stutteringp0et » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:34 am

Not so good for the session table, because sessions are routinely deleted when sessions expire or users log out. Maybe useful if a new table was created for each day, existing/active sessions could be transferred to the new daily table and the previous days table dropped - but that would take a cron job, something not all hosts provide.

It might not even be good for log tables, because at some point you might want to clear the log. I suppose instead of clearing it, the table could be dropped and re-created....

Really, I'm having trouble thinking of a table that doesn't need to have delete update or replace queries from time to time.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”