Can this be done in Joomla?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
brodene
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can this be done in Joomla?

Post by brodene » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:59 pm

On my web site I want to store information about articles written on different subjects.

There will be a drill-down, from higher to lower levels, to find the articles.

The first level will have all the subjects, for example:

"Technology"
"Sports"
"Banking"
"Business"

When you select one, e.g. "Business", that will bring up the next level, for example:

"E-Commerce"
"Starting One"
"Accounting"
"Franchises"

When you select one, e.g. "Franchises", that will bring up the next level, for example:

"Evaluating"
"What's Hot"
"Buying"
"Selling"

If this is the bottom level, then when you select one, e.g. "Selling", it lists articles by name on the subject, for example:

"How To Sell A Franchise"
"Franchise Your Business In 7 Steps"
"10 Tips To Franchising Your Business"
"Sell An Existing Franchise"

At this point, if you click on the article name, you will be taken to the web site/page that the article is found on.

(If it's possible to make a series of Windows-like drop-downs, so that if you hold the mouse over "Business" then the choices above automatically appear in another drop-down, I would also be interested in that.)

I may also need to store a picture/image of something related to that article.

All the information will have to be kept in a MYSQL database, which I will be designing.

There will also have to be a search mechanism, to be able to find the articles that way.

I want to know:

1) Can this be done in Joomla? Or is it so simple that I should use Wordpress instead? (no offense)
2) Which tools/apps/plugins/widgets that I would need, and what they do (If any cost $, explain why a free version won't suffice).

Thank you.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Can this be done in Joomla?

Post by waarnemer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:38 am

You can do all of this without you designing the db as it is already there

The ay you describe the dropdwn menus is there but will depend a lot on how your template (design) is made...
The usual template has got this.

All you need is core..

Though Wordpress can all of this too.. (no offense taken) ... your Joomla setup will be more versatile when you need added functionality and enterprise workflows

brodene
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brodene » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 am

Thanks for responding.

1) When you say the "database" is already there - perhaps then I need to create the table within the database? With columns such as Level 1 (eg "Business"), Level 2 (eg "Franchises"), level 3 (eg "Selling"), Article (eg "How To Sell A Franchise"), and Link.

2) What does the "Core" consist of?

3) If you say the functionality is already there, do you mean that there are tools/apps/plugins/widgets that do what I need? If yes, what are some examples?

coding1
I've been banned!

Post by coding1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:50 am

Hi brodene, I have small idea.
I saw you case. If you use article, you also create category for that:
parent category/ sub parent/ child category
After that, you can build as your idea. But also edit or build plugin,.... then it can work well. Because have no one extension can fit all. You should check the feature and build step by step.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Joomla is a complete CMS. You don't ned to do anything in the DB but for just having a DB. Installing Joomla will create all tables needed for you.

read this: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla.html
start here: http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners

In a nutshell, when you install it, you already have an out of the box running system that can do what you described above... that is the "core".
When you move from beginner to more experienced you'll learn you can add a lot of more functionality and intelligence (extensions) and you'll see how easy you can have your design changed. And you will be experienced before you know it..
You will be lost sometimes but the community is always ready to help you.

tourtravelets
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tourtravelets » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 am

You can do all of this without you designing the db as it is already there

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:01 pm

@Raj.. that is provided you ave Simple Image Gallery (PRO) installed of course...

@brodene, I think you best way to discover what Joomla can do for you is to get started.. You can do it on your local machine (XAMPP, WAMPP etc...) https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Getting_St ... ith_Joomla! or do a demo: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/getting-started.html

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 am

You can do that by building the relationships with nested categories and a mega menu.

There are menus out there in Joomlas extension directory that solves that problem and you can also build that structure with the search you want by installing an extra extension like a cck type Seblod CCK http://www.seblod.com/ it take a little time for you to understand that but that is a "configuration" toolbox that you can test with Joomla.

Good luck!

ansaripk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ansaripk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:46 am

Joomla is a complete CMS with good database design. if you modify the databse, you can do but there are disadvantage of upgrade to next version. You'll have to do a lot of work on next Joomla update. It is better to use the joomla databse wisely. :)

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 am

I may also need to store a picture/image of something related to that article.
you can also use JCE editor for separate controlled image folders for different user types too.

You can search on [youtube] to see some functions how it works http://youtu.be/eAJZ9In8drk

https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/ you can add an extended image plugin too if you want..

jack_rokeri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jack_rokeri » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Wordpress is better option to do this instead of joomla.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 pm

@Jack.. no it is not... reading from the categories in the first post, it is for a business so Joomla being an enterprise ready cms, built in superb ACL, tagging, categorisation, versioning and more... it rules out WP.....

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 pm

jack_rokeri wrote:Wordpress is better option to do this instead of joomla.
You have 5 days experience with Joomla I see from when you register here in forum so people know what you are. Nonsense comments...sorry you have to say something valuable to people that is facts instead of this nonsens of stupidity...This Wordpress people get banned, register again..doing some posts about nothing to create credability and then again try to misscredit Joomla in any way they can. People are not stupid but you are trying to talk bad about Joomla. But its good that people that have knowledge answer back to these people.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”