Creating menu item, removing and adding again fails

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Creating menu item, removing and adding again fails

Post by infograf768 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:20 am

haitao wrote:Hi!

Has the bug been filed? I'm under 2.5.3 and still suffering from the issue. Why do I need the same menu and alias? simple:
I want to have a side menu with shortcuts to some nested menus but it won't let me, eventhough it's somehow the same link to the same article/component. It really doesn't make sense to access in my case to the forum through 2 different URLs because I have 2 menus pointing to it.

How can we move forward?

Thanks.

Fred
If you have to present another menu with a menu item pointing to some existing article/component/whatever already presented by a "master" menu item, just use the "menu item alias" type of menu item in the second menu.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

haitao
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by haitao » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:10 am

Thank you for the very prompt response.

Yes I am using menu alias but they also can't have the same alias. I therefore need to create a different alias for that menu alias, which in some cases appears (instead of the default one). So I am ending up with my forum having 2 different urls depending on how people got there.

I can go more into details if the specifics are of interest but else I really don't see why Joomla! would prevent someone from having 2 menus pointing to the same content and wanting the same URL for that content (or component in this case)

Fred

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:43 pm

A menu item alias uses a fake alias, the url provided is the same as the original menu item it links to.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

haitao
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by haitao » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:20 am

Yes and no. Let's assume I use forum as an alias to the component and then forum1 for the menu alias. If I go to the component using the menu alias and then click on a link from that page/component the resulting url becomes forum1/whateverIclicked.

Is this the normal behaviour or should I file a bug then?

The site is currently online installed on my local network, but I don't mind putting it online and giving credentials for further analysis (I could be doing something wrong of course, or just hit a very specific situation).

Thank you for the very appreciated follow up.

Fred

deckosenn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deckosenn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:44 am

Hi, I had the same problem, it was solved very easily by giving alias name, perfect, thank you for all the guys for the advice.

Timeisnow
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Location: On the far side of the moon and/or under your chair

Post by Timeisnow » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm

deckosenn wrote:Hi, I had the same problem, it was solved very easily by giving alias name, perfect, thank you for all the guys for the advice.
? This is not helping.
CriticalUnity.org - Need to Know Info
===> Clarifying conspiracy realities of mass deception for Humanity before it's too late....
THE TIME IS NOW to investigate!

brendenp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brendenp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:05 am

Not sure if this helps, but you may find yourself stuck in a circle changing between linking to an Article (or other element that has an editable alias) compared to an External URL which does not.

You start with an article and you name the alias "Products" for example. Then you switch to External URL. The alias field goes away.

You then try to make a new menu item and enter "Products" but it say it is already in use on the root. You visually look at all you menus and it does not show alias "Products" anywhere but if you look at the DB tables you will see the previous Article that you changed to External URL still has the alias "Products" against its record even through it does not show this in the Menu Manager.

To fix this change the External URL menu item back to an article, and voila! There pops up alias with "Products in it. Change it to something you wont need like "dummy1" and then save. Change to external URL and then go make you new menu item again and this time you will be able to use "Products.

Attention Joomla developers: It would make it SO MUCH EASIER if the alias for External URLS was also shown in Menu Manager OR automatically change the alias to the date if Extrenal URL is selected.

webchik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webchik » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am

this appears to be replicating in Joomla 3 as well - thanks brendenp for the workaround.

I agree:
brendenp wrote: Attention Joomla developers: It would make it SO MUCH EASIER if the alias for External URLS was also shown in Menu Manager OR automatically change the alias to the date if Extrenal URL is selected.

shanewaj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shanewaj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

SOLVED
PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THIS POST
http://www.buildajoomlawebsite.com/blog ... this-alias

You need to Go to the filters at the top of the list and under the -Select Status- drop down, select Trashed.

ivanfq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ivanfq » Wed May 21, 2014 8:00 am

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”