New template in Joomla 1.6 doesn't show up.

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
informer18
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: New template in Joomla 1.6 doesn't show up.

Post by informer18 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks to everyone for the comments in this thread. I also have the same problem and have followed all the suggested advice above but to no avail. I also look forward to the solution.
Well done to all the hard work put in by the developers.
I appreciate it.

ianmarie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ianmarie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm

This may help someone...

after a similar frustration, I found that if I matched the name given to the template in the xml file, with the folder name that I had placed my template into, it would discover fine, and also show up in the list of available templates. With a mismatch, it would discover, install, but not show in the list (although it would show up in the drop down list).

Not sure if this is a strictly correct answer but if it helps someone; great!

:-)

ashp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ashp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:42 pm

ianmarie wrote:matched the name given to the template in the xml file, with the folder name that I had placed my template into, it would discover fine, and also show up in the list of available templates. With a mismatch, it would discover, install, but not show in the list (although it would show up in the drop down list).
^^^^

Thank you for this - this is something that should also be in documentation somewhere.

Just spent 1hr+ with this error

thanks!

ianmarie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ianmarie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 pm

ashp wrote:
ianmarie wrote:matched the name given to the template in the xml file, with the folder name that I had placed my template into, it would discover fine, and also show up in the list of available templates. With a mismatch, it would discover, install, but not show in the list (although it would show up in the drop down list).
^^^^

Thank you for this - this is something that should also be in documentation somewhere.

Just spent 1hr+ with this error

thanks!
Pleased it helped you :D
and now glad I posted my findings

sbrenizer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sbrenizer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm

I have to agree with doolz. The first 3 posts by mcsmom were useless. "Did you move it or not" sounds like Mom is talking to MC (MC'sMom). Jorhett did get testy but I do too when my time is wasted on forums.

The bottom line is that "Discovering" is not intuitive for many users. First go to the Discover Tab (it's not actually a tab in the default Bluestork admin template. It's just a link in a navigation bar looking thing.) then click the Discover Button to actually make it look for new things. I missed this on my first go around too. There is now text on the Discover Page in 1.7 that says "Click Discover to find new extensions that might be available for install." but this isn't helpful as the first reaction is to click the link called "Discover" (which reloads the page) and not the "Discover Button" which performs the actual searching of extensions. Adding to the confusion is the bold sentence "No extensions have been discovered." which implies that an extension search actually took place when clicking the "Discover Link (tab)". As pointed out by several users in this post, only clicking the Discover Button performs the extension search.

As a bug fix, remove that bold sentence and only show it after the search is complete. Change the wording of the second sentence to point out that there is a Discover "Button". Better yet, put a link on that sentence that has the same functionality of the Discover Button.

As a forum fix, don't be rude on either side of the fence. Now get off the computer and go clean your room!

kakei
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kakei » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:51 pm

tabularjon wrote:This discussion was useful to me as I had the same problem. I did eventually succeed - clicking on the Discover tab was not sufficient, I had to click on the Discover icon (like a refresh icon), top right before my template appeared. Hope this helps somebody.
In 1.7 I had to do this too and it did show up after clicking on the "refresh button". Thanks!

jaguar7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jaguar7 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 am

I agree with Johrett.

I have had the same problems with the community and their useless unhelpful responses - and basically not listening, and not trying to understand what I've said.

I had the same problem getting templates "recognized".

The stupid "discover tab" when you click it, it says "no new extensions to discover" in bold. The "discover icon" is tiny, inconspicuous, and the tutorial I've been following says nothing at all about any discover icon, and it would be right to assume clicking the discover *tab* is sufficient but not working because a) the tutorial only says to click discover, and b) when you click it actually gives you (an erroneous) message implying it has already searched for new templates.

Then I post about this in the forums, and I get people literally trying to make me redo everything, without any helpful responses.

The documentation for Joomla is absolutely atrocious.

Oh, and also, I can't edit the discussion page for the make a new template tutorial? At http://docs.joomla.org/Talk:Creating_a_ ... !_template or the page. Why can't I edit the wiki, or even the discussion pages?

greggalus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by greggalus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Despite the arguing through the topic, I did find it helpful in getting my template working so thanks. I am using version 1.7 so the process of using the discover button in the top right is the same. Thanks again.

stefwilliams
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stefwilliams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 pm

I was having problems with the same thing.

Despite 'Discovering' correctly, my template was not showing up properly. It would show up in the 'Templates' tab of Template Manager, and would even show up in the drop-down menu under the Styles tab, but would not appear as selectable under the Styles tab.

The fix was as stated above by ianmarie, ensuring that the template name is exactly the same as the folder name.

I'm not sure that the Discover system is too unintuitive, as it's similar to a number of other Joomla dialogues, but I agree that the importance of precise naming of the template and folders should be documented - particularly on the documentation page that says how to create templates.

Have to say I was also getting frustrated with all the bickering on the first page and a half, and fortunately decided to jump straight to the end.

mariourk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mariourk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 am

tabularjon wrote:This discussion was useful to me as I had the same problem. I did eventually succeed - clicking on the Discover tab was not sufficient, I had to click on the Discover icon (like a refresh icon), top right before my template appeared. Hope this helps somebody.
You are an angel! I can't believe I missed that! :-[

Also, I have to say I never have seen someone respond as rude as jorhett did in this thread. Regardless if he was right, or not, he could have chosen his words more carefully... :-\

giggle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by giggle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 am

New user.

Well, I stumbled upon this thread because I'm experiencing what sounds to be an identical problem to Johrett.

Actually, I understood what he meant by copying and "gutting" the old template to create a new copy with new name, attributes, etc.

I, too, clicked Discover and nada. Now I'm going to try out this fellow tabularjon's suggestion and see what happens.

Back, and I vote that tabularjon's answer is the solution. Thanks tabularjon!

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”