Can you upgrade from 1.5?

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
Quazarr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can you upgrade from 1.5?

Post by Quazarr » Thu May 20, 2010 10:10 pm

I would love to test migrating a 1.5 site to 1.6, but I am not certain this is advised yet? I am finding a hard time really locating any information on this. I would have thought it would be a bit easier to find the answers for this question given that many of us will have to do just this same thing.

Am I better to just do a fresh install each time? (please say no!)

Q

val1723
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Can you upgrade from 1.5?

Post by val1723 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Please read the two articles below to understand a little more about 1.6 server requirements and a tool to upgrade.

http://www.opensourcesupportdesk.com/bl ... ite-top-10

http://www.cocut.cn/jstuff/jextension/3 ... onent.html
www.theworldartistnetwork.org

If your question is answered and solves your problem, please edit your post and write -SOLVED at the end of your title so that others know where to find the answer. :)

Quazarr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quazarr » Thu May 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks for the info! Its very appreciated! Go Joomla!

MeeDNite
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MeeDNite » Sat May 22, 2010 8:39 am

Please consider that Its not recommended to upgrade your Live Site to J!1.6
its still Beta and possibly has some bugs which could Break your data.

Regards,
Milad

lescal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lescal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi,

if I got it well, if you got a couple of big important components (as CB, Agora Forum, or that kind of things) on your J1.5 site, you're pretty much screwed, even with a migrating tool.

I'm wondering if the best approach, for someone who knows how to handle databases and SQL requests, wouldn't be to create a new database / new site installation (in a sub-directory of main site) and install J1.6 as a "brand new site". Then migrating data table by table, adapting sql export requests before hand, depending on tables' new structures. Might sound a bit tedious, but at least, you control everything.

For the site I'm managing, I'll have to wait for a good 1.6 native forum component in any case, but we'd really appreciate features of the new ACL and nested categories to cite a few.

So what I'm gonna do is to install a new site with J1.6b6, and begin to work out the database's new structure... (and this, at least will have been done :)

Best,
Scal

DaFoot
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DaFoot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:45 am

So there are plans when 1.6 becomes release version for an upgrade/migration 1.5.x -> 1.6 tool then? Excellend :)))

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”