unable to bind to LDAP

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
sandeep_chandu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

unable to bind to LDAP

Post by sandeep_chandu » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:06 am

The LDAP plugin is working well when I am using a localhost, but after hosting the site on web server I am facing an error "Unable bind to LDAP".

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

jcms
I've been banned!

Re: unable to bind to LDAP

Post by jcms » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:53 am

sandeep_chandu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sandeep_chandu » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi thank you for the reply.

I have configured the LDAP plug-in and its working well when I am running it on localhost. That is I am able to log in with the username and password, but if I do the same hosting the site on web server I am facing an error "Unable to bind to ldap".
Last edited by sandeep_chandu on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:38 pm

That I am able to log in with the username and password, but if do the same hosting the site on web server I am facing an error "Unable to bind to ldap".
Your server has the LDAP extension enabled because you get past the the ldap_connect statement. The bind can fail for various reasons:

Does the LDAP server accept connections from the web server?

Does your web server expect to verify the TLS certificate of the LDAP server, whereas your localhost server does not need to do that?

Is the TLS certificate of the LDAP server perhaps self signed and the web server expects a certificate signed by a Certificate Authority?

You can turn on debugging before opening the connection to see in the log what is happening:

Code: Select all

ldap_set_option(NULL, LDAP_OPT_DEBUG_LEVEL, 7);
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”