Subcategories Pagination

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
sright
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Subcategories Pagination

Post by sright » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Does Joomla lack the pagination of subcategories? This is an issue that I've been trying to solve..
(my question is not about articles ). I cant find a way in the back-end to add pagination to split a list of categories/subcategories into pages.

Loading a big list of subcategories is slow and takes alot from the server to handle it. So inorder to fix this issue it's important to have pagination :'(

I would be so pleased to have help in that... Thanks alot in advance..

sright
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Subcategories Pagination

Post by sright » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:54 am

how can i add jpagination to categories? i couldnt get the code to work.. can anybody explain exactly how?

GPixels
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by GPixels » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:50 am

There are a ton of settings with Joomla 1.6 now for categories, articles, etc., and it comes with a bit of a learning curve. But to have a pagination for "categories" like [1] [2] [3]...etc. I don't think it can do that like it can for articles and intro posts within a category.

The only other solution that I can suggest is perhaps restructure your categories and subcategories (if you have a lot), into more nested versions and then with parameters on the menu item(s) that link to categories, control how many will show.

With my site (and also a test site), I have the subcategories set to not show and then for those, I have a separate menu for the side columns with only those menu items linking to the other categories.

sright
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sright » Mon May 02, 2011 1:16 am

Thanks alot for your reply .. appreciate it ;)

This is really a bad news for me :( .. I dont understand why this feature (Subcategories Pagination) is not included in Joomla's core files, It's hard for me to make a new restructure for menus on how to handle the categories/subcategories (big database) .. maybe you could explain more about that or give us an example..

I thought someone could offer a core-hack for that.. if any Joomla Dev can provide that, it would be so appreciated, and since my question has been viewed by more than 400 people..

It seems quite interesting for alot of people like me whose looking forward for a solution to this issue.

Thank you 8)

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon May 02, 2011 1:27 am

Instead of a core hack you should think about creating a plugin. we will definitely need pagination for categories so you could propose that for 1.7.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

sright
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sright » Tue May 03, 2011 2:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion, you are absolutely right, a plugin could be a mean-while solution till we get Joomla 1.7 released..
But believe me, we've waited so long for Joomla 1.6, I'm one of the people who started building the website's database even before the final release came out. So it is a surprising issue for me (the lack of categories pagination) that until now I cant be sure if I can solve it by myself.

So again if any developer can produce a Joomla Plugin or Core-Hack for that it would be so appreciated.

Thank you.

sright
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sright » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:27 pm

is Joomla 1.7 gonna solve this problem, will this feature be included in it? if not can we suggest adding it.. any idea?

sright
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sright » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Please vote for the idea, if you are interested in having a way to make pagination possible for the categories and subcategories in the next Joomla release or so..

http://ideas.joomla.org/forums/84261-jo ... categories

Thanks alot :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”