error "Strict Standards:..............." in 1.6

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Surimex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: error "Strict Standards:..............." in 1.6

Post by Surimex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi guys,

I have this "error" of Strict Standards... too and have resolved it by changing the parameter Error Reporting in the Administrator's panel (joomla 2.58). I followed all these postings and what I can say is that it present in joomla 1.5 till the latest 2.58.

I just want to know if this is not a serious thing to think about? Why cant it be fixed till now? Dont take me wrong, I like Joomla very much, but it seems that this error thing is not a big thing. I would very like to see that this will be fixed.

After hiding these error reportings, I was wondering what kind of effects it can have on the created websites...

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Surimex wrote:....Why cant it be fixed till now? Dont take me wrong, I like Joomla very much, but it seems that this error thing is not a big thing. I would very like to see that this will be fixed. ...
There is nothing to fix ... xampp uses development settings and Joomla (by default) uses 'system default'. The 'system default' is suitable for nearly all production environments ... when using xampp the user has the choice of changing the xampp php.ini file or changing the settings in Joomla. My preference is to edit the xampp settings so that the finished Joomla follows the settings of the server it is moved to. But the choice is that of the person creating the site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Surimex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Surimex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 pm

So that is why they say it is not an error but kind of a friendly message, just telling you something, am I correct?

I too see this not as an error because joomla and xampp devellopers are really accurate in telling you that there is really something wrong. Because after you hide these error reportings, you just can resume your work.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Error reporting reports at different levels from minor to only serious.(and can be turned off)

xampp is set to report at 'Development level' so that people developing scripts etc. on their PC can see even the smallest, most insignificant errors. Most Hosts have a setting that only reports severe errors. Joomla by default uses the settings of the server it's on ... but can be set to override the server settings. My preference is to change the settings on the xampp server ... and leave Joomla settings at their default value of using the server settings.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sussexlongman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sussexlongman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Many thanks Webdongle for this thread, does indeed work with a bit of attention to detail, plus I wish I'd noticed the comments from GRAPL on 1 April earlier before working out exactly the same thing. Frustration now going!

mascofield
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mascofield » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Pretty Good!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”