Deceived with 6 months release cycles.

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
bronston
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Deceived with 6 months release cycles.

Post by bronston » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 am

As a website designer, I deeply disagree with this 6 month cycle of Joomla releases.

Richer websites use some powerful add-ons and exquisite templates. Launch of non backwards compatible versions produce a lack of available add-ons (extensions) and templates, reducing the real options to a very poor market, instead of the rich still existing for 1.5.

I’ve tried to start some websites developments in 1.6, but they had to be very simple ones for that reason.

I was waiting for the new updated extensions to be developed, but many of them have stopped the process because 1.6 is already entering end of life (although I thoght 1.7 would pose no problem to 1.6 extensions and templates).

I agree with updating, but not with speed of killing cycles, and not either with the backwards uncompatibility. One year or even two years cycles would allow extensions and template developers to populate the market for each version with a variety of rich add-ons. Unless we only want to design websites with basic functions.

mdiscenzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Deceived with 6 months release cycles.

Post by mdiscenzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm kind of in agreement with the original poster. My only caveat would be if the release schedule and version advancing maintained backwards compatibility. That really is key.

Case-in-point, there are a few add-ons that I was desperately hoping would be updated to 1.6.x, and now since 1.6 is entering end-of-life status, the developer has pulled resources and is trying to wrap their heads around 1.7. Which means I've now been without that functionality for over 8 months.

There must be a happy medium somewhere in between.

gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gnostic19 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm

agree with all that's said. Seems like priority is given to fidgety developers and not "consumers".

sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sakiss » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi

But why did you try to use a J! version which has a sort life-support-evolution?

just to get a couple of more features? There are tones of extensions out there which offer almost any feature that someone can imagine.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 pm

The happy medium is to skip the short term releases and stay with the somewhat longer supported versions. This means going from 1.5 to 1.8 to 1.11, etc.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”