How do you empty the trash

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
dashhelp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How do you empty the trash

Post by dashhelp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 pm

I used QuickInstall on hostgator to install joomla 1.6. I told it not to install the sample data but it did, so I simply trashed all the articles.

Fine when you're not logged in, but when you login from the front end the articles show up on the home page position. Particularly I can't delete or unpublish the sample articles titled

Upraders
Beginners
Professionals
Joomla!

Plus an old version of the home page which I copied changed and trashed (I thought.)

There isn't a clear trash feature like there is in 1.5 - what can I do?

srijeet
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How do you empty the trash

Post by srijeet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 pm

can you post the link to your website ? Also can you tell me if
1> the operation was done from the admin panel
2> Was there any error saying insufficient files permission ?

dashhelp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dashhelp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 pm

http://lesleybroadgate.com

Since I was frustrated, I deleted the installation and reinstalled it and it is still performing the same. I documented my steps this time.

Yes the operation was done from the admin panel
No, there was no error message at all.

Here are the steps I took
1. Install using Quick Install
2. log in and delete all articles
3. delete menus except for main menu, top menu and user menu
4. Trashed all categories except Uncategorized
5. added new categories
6. created an additional super user
7. Trashed existing menu items except for Home and created menu items in Top Menu to go to the categories I created
8. Went to the home page and logged in.

There are still 4 articles on the front page in blue boxes that are only visible when you log in.

Also I would suggest that someone make it so you can't delete Uncategorized. The first time I installed it I selected all the categories and Uncategorized was deleted as well as the samples. Since then I have been careful not to delete it.

srijeet
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by srijeet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Go to the" Featured Articles section" there you can trash or un-publish the same
Tell me if it worked for you ?

Perses
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Perses » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Go to Article Manager. Click dropdown for State and select Trash. Now put a check mark next to any article you want to delete from the trash. Now click trash can icon in the menubar and the article(s) will be permanently deleted.

dashhelp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dashhelp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Go to the" Featured Articles section" there you can trash or un-publish the same
Tell me if it worked for you ?

THere were no featured articles.

The second method worked.

However, there must be a bug in 1.6 because trashed items should never show to anyone on the front end. You could get into a lot of trouble publishing trashed articles :'(

I hope this gets fixed.

jzlcdh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: trashed articles visible on front-end

Post by jzlcdh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 am

I agree there appears to be a bug as I can see some of my trashed articles on the front-end.
I see there is a bug report
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=25542
but I am not sure whether that is the same problem?

Has anybody bugged the problem already? If not I will attempt to make some kind of test case and bug it - but not sure if I will suceed as my setup is a bit complex. If any of you already have a simple test please could you bug it at http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker and let us know the bug report number.

hatchmo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hatchmo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:01 am

Was this bug ever solved? All of my trashed articles keep showing up on the front end. The only way to get them not to show up in the front end is to use "Empty Trash" in the backed.

jzlcdh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jzlcdh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:08 am

I did not raise any further bug report. Looking at the bug report link above it has not been assigned to anyone.

John Oxlade
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by John Oxlade » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:43 am

I have 3 articles I cannot remove from 2.5.1.

I trashed them, selected 'trashed' articles, selected them all and clicked on 'empty trash'. For some reason it didn't empty. I slected a few at a time and found that it was just 3 articles that I couldn't delete - all the others went.

I found if I changed their category I could then empty them from the trash, then I could empty the trashed categories too.

Somewhere along the line it looks as if I might have trashed the category they were under and this was 'locking' something.

I tend to install the sample data then delte all of the articles and categories. I just find it easier to make sure I have everything that way.

AndyGaskell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AndyGaskell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 am

Hi John

Thanks for your notes on this, I had exactly the same issue, fresh install of Joomla! 2.5.2, just clearing out the sample data that I didn't need.

Your work-around....
John Oxlade wrote: I found if I changed their category I could then empty them from the trash, then I could empty the trashed categories too.
...worked a treat, thanks again.
My work: http://www.ssofb.co.uk.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndyGasman.
I'm a programmer at Software Systems: Open For Business in Aberdeen Scotland doing LAMP web development.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”