First time poster: spam/zoo help requested

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
totalhvar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

First time poster: spam/zoo help requested

Post by totalhvar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:36 am

Hello from Croatia. I have a site http://www.total-hvar.com which is built on the Joomla platform with Zoo software as well. I didn't build it, but have been managing it ever since and have been really pleased with the job its creator did. Unfortunately, I have a couple of problems and cannot get hold of him. Any gentle advice on the following three problems would be gratefully accepted.

1. I am being killed by spam, 100 messages an hour. In fact, I can no longer access my comments section, as this error message comes up - Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1576802 bytes) in /home/lashie/public_html/libraries/joomla/html/html/select.php on line 627

I tried changing the permissions to admin in User Manager - Options, but no joy. And advice on howto kill the spam and get access to messages back?

2. I want to replace the Joomla search box with a custom Google search, as the current one does not pick up the titles of articles in search for some reason, and so returns poor results.

3. I have a revolving banner on my pages, but want to remove it on some. I tried on this page for example http://total-hvar.com/index.php/eating- ... estaurants but a message Could not load widget with the id 24. remains. How to remove?

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to active participation in the forums (and not just asking for help). cheers Paul

RJK
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: First time poster: spam/zoo help requested

Post by RJK » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:41 am

Paul,

Here are some ideas for you:

* Spam. I'm assuming this is in relation to your blog? I'm not familiar with Zoo, but whatever the blog element is of that solution, is there an option somewhere to enable Captcha which should stop any automated posts appearing?
* Google search. At a glance, the first 2 look good on this page: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... web-search
*Revolving gallery. Under Extensions: Module Manager you should find the module that manages this gallery. It's assigned to a position called 'top-a' hence you could just look for that in the position column. Open it, scroll to the bottom and you'll see which pages in the site it is assigned to. Actually I'm wondering if you'll find a whole load of similar entries as it looks like you have different galleries on different pages.... The one with the error 'ID24' likely related to a module with an ID of 24 listed in the far right column of the Extensions: Module Manager page.

See how you get on....hopefully some pointers even if not the final answers.

Richard

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”