Conservative Cache Times

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Risus
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Conservative Cache Times

Post by Risus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Quick question...if I understand correctly, when it comes to caching the suggested standard is to go with conservative caching (so that any user anywhere will experience quicker load times) and set the time for a few hours. However, what if I want it to be indefinite? For example, I have a website that's only updated once or twice a year. Is there a way to set up the cache so that the site loads quickly for everyone all the time instead of refreshing every few hours? That way, I can manually purge the cache if and when there are updates, but otherwise the page remains "loaded." Is that possible or would it cause problems to have such a long session lifetime?

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Conservative Cache Times

Post by itoctopus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:27 am

Just make your cache time to be 262980 (262980 minutes is 4383 hours, which is half the year), and you're be all set. Make sure you also enable the System - Cache plugin in the Plugin Manager. This will make things much faster.

You shouldn't have any session problems.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Risus
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Risus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I was worried that such a long session time would...I don't know, overload the the system? That if too much time builds up in a single session, it would run out of room or something along those lines. But if it's safe to set it so high then that's perfect.

Risus
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Risus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Sorry, should the system cache plugin be set to "Yes" or "No" for "Use Browser Caching?"

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”