Problems with Confirguration

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
walby3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Problems with Confirguration

Post by walby3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Apologies in advance I truly am not a web designer and don't pretend to be!

I've just changed my hosting company to 123-Reg and since my website hasnt been working. I have copied over all the files and database and changed a few bits of the configuration file as 123-reg requested but I keep getting this error.

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

123-Reg have tried to fix the problem but have apparently tested it and there is no problem with Database but must be a problem with the website itself and suggested I try this forum. If anyone on here could lend any help it would be appreciated I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with it all now to be honest.

Thanks in advance everyone!

NickC4555
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Problems with Confirguration

Post by NickC4555 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 pm

These entries in configuration.php (in the root of your website) need updating:

public $host = 'localhost';
public $user = 'database user name';
public $password = '************';
public $db = 'database name';

$host is probably 'localhost', but could be an IP address if your database and website are on different servers. Have you created a database user and assigned it permissions to the database?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:39 pm

For the user (that was defined to connect to the database) has been GRANTed ALL PRIVILEGES?
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

walby3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by walby3 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for responding both of you! I've been trying to delve into the settings of MySQL but not much luck yet, I believe the configuration file is okay although I will double check this. I think you have a point about these priveleges though. I've got a screenshot here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuhgyh2d9xc6w ... 2.png?dl=0

Only problem is I can't work out how to change the priveleges I've been trying to understand the manual but nothing I'm doing is working. I cant work out where the commands need to go what commands to use and finally whether I'm even logged into the right account I see mention of a Root account which I have never used or set up, is this something I should get onto 123-Reg about?

NickC4555
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NickC4555 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 am

I don't know what hosting control panel 123-reg uses, but it will be in there somewhere, not in phpMyAdmin.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:27 am

Generally, in a shared hosting environment, from the cPanel, the steps would be as follows:
- Create a Database
- Create a User to access the database
- Add the User to the Database & in this step, one has to choose the Privileges
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

walby3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by walby3 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 am

Hi there, I've spoken to 123-Reg and they have said this...

The privileges of the username cannot be modified. However, please rest assured that they are set to the ones needed to run a Joomla website.

NickC4555
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NickC4555 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 am

I suggest you get a new hosting provider. It is ridiculous that you haven't got control over this through the hosting control panel. If they are offering such a basic service it is likely you are going to run into other problems with them in the future, such as PHP settings, versions etc. They are not providing you with the tools you need to manage your environment.

walby3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by walby3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 am

Yeah I think your right, just for my peace of mind though and not wasting my time with another hosting provider lets just say they are right and the priveleges are fine, any idea what else it could possibly be that is causing this error?

i dont want to go with another hosting company and have the same problem because in fact the priveleges were fine, we just couldnt find that out.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”