Website only shows the mobile version on a PC Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
paulbuttrill
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Website only shows the mobile version on a PC

Post by paulbuttrill » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:49 pm

I was working within the module manager and when I saved the website it now only shows the mobile version. I've no idea how this happened because everything was fine. I tried to 'undo' the last thing I did but it's still the same. I scrolled to the bottom of the webpage and noticed 'Show plain English alternative' so I clicked on that but a pop up appeared 'no, none'. I'm totally baffled by this. The website is https://www.plainenglish.co.uk/

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Website only shows the mobile version on a PC

Post by imanickam » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Reviewed the site in both Google Chrome & Firefox and the results are as follows:

(a) When the site's url is typed in the browser's address bar:
Screenshot_Regular_version.jpg

(b) When the link Mobile Site that is in the bottom of the page is clicked:
Screenshot_Mobile_version.jpg

Note:
(i) Notice the change in the url between the two versions (https://www.plainenglish.co.uk vs https://www.plainenglish.co.uk/index.php?jtpl=8)

(ii) In the Mobile version, when the link "< Back" that is below the header is clicked, the site goes back to regular version

Are you experiencing the same behavior?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:18 pm

Hi. I see this.
1.jpg
Is that the mobile version? If not just clean the cache
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:29 pm

paulbuttrill wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:49 pm
I scrolled to the bottom of the webpage and noticed 'Show plain English alternative' so I clicked on that but a pop up appeared 'no, none'. I'm totally baffled by this.
For example, if you choose the word "Accommodation" from the dropdown and click on the button "Show plain English alternative" it would show "where you live, home".

The default phrase in the dropdown is "(an) absence of", which is the first phrase in the dropdown, and hence when the button "Show plain English alternative" is clicked it shows "no, none".

So, nothing to be baffled about.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:30 pm

On a different note, what version of Joomla is being used for your site?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:54 pm

@imanickam: according to the manifest, it's a J! 2.5.28 website.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 am

Further testing revealed that it is indeed the cache issue as mentioned by Pavel-ww.

I would suggest reviewing the documentation of the templates used to find out how to overcome this issue.

paulbuttrill
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuttrill » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am

Thanks a lot for the replies. I'm new to Joomla and have taken over the website mentioned after the last guy has now left the company. I'm finding it difficult to get to grips with Joomla and the website http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/ structure seems like a maze to me and when something like the problem discussed happens it completely throws me.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:24 am

paulbuttrill wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'm new to Joomla and have taken over the website mentioned after the last guy has now left the company. I'm finding it difficult to get to grips with Joomla and the website http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/ structure seems like a maze to me and when something like the problem discussed happens it completely throws me.
Hi. Not such a maze. Get used to and understand. :)
If you are new to Joomla, I want to emphasize your attention on things mentioned by @sozzled. Your joomla is 2.5 version. This software is more than 10 years. It is very outdated. You need to migrate or rebuild the site at least to Joomla 3.10.x. And there everything is much better with usability.

Migration is not so easy to do, now, after 10 years.
Recreate from scratch - a simpler way, but will require more time

paulbuttrill
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuttrill » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 am

Thanks. I'll look into migrating Joomla to the next version. I'm going to try and learn about it first before I jump right in just in case anything goes wrong as at the moment I'm not confident enough to solve any issues that may arise while upgrading. I don't think I could rebuild from scratch as it's too complicated for me.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am

1) I don't understand the implied question in the topic subject. I can confirm that I see the website displayed like screenshot "(a)" posted by @imanickam. There's a "mobile" link at the bottom of the page. Under normal circumstances, the end user would not have to click a link to render the website differently depending on the device they were using; normally the CSS should take care of those things automatically.

2) The OP did not confirm their understanding of the questions we asked.

paulbuttrill wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:49 pm
I scrolled to the bottom of the webpage and noticed 'Show plain English alternative' so I clicked on that ...
I'm sorry but I don't see any "Show plain English alternative" ... something or other. UPDATED: I found it.

Click Menu at the top of your page, then click "Switch to Desktop version". :)

3) Migrating from J! 2.5.28 to J! 3.x is tricky. It's possible to do it: the actual migration takes about 15 minutes; cleaning up after that can take two or three days. My advice is (a) don't do this with the live, production website: create a development copy and work on that and then replace the live version with the one you will be spending the next few days working on; and (b) it may be an idea to get a professional expert to do the job for you, or (c) take the matter offline and discuss your plans with someone who knows a little bit about J!.

paulbuttrill
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuttrill » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:05 am

Thanks. Everyone seems to see the website as it should be except me. I thought I'd sorted the problem out by switching the template to another then switching back. It seemed to work but then went back to the mobile version. I'm ready to give up on all this and either get someone in to do it or use a website builder instead of a CMS. Joomla's causing me too many headaches. No wonder the guy before me didn't want anything to do with it. I see what he means now. Thanks anyway.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:19 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am

paulbuttrill
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuttrill » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:42 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:19 pm
sozzled wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am
Thanks.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Fixed?

paulbuttrill
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuttrill » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am

Yes it's fixed. My mistake. I realise if you change to the mobile version it stays on it even if the browser is closed then reopened. It doesn't automatically revert back to the desktop version.You have to click to get it back again and vice versa.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”