Menu Items/404 Not Found

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
dforde
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Menu Items/404 Not Found

Post by dforde » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:38 pm

I have a 2 sites up with 1.5 that are working fine. I installed 1.6 into a new site today and I can not get any of the menu item links to work. Everything on the back-end is working properly but after creating a menu link and clicking on it, the 404 Not Found promp appears. Where is the problem and how can I fix it? Is there something that I missed with the conversation to 1.6 that is causing my menu items to be invalid?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Menu Items/404 Not Found

Post by mcsmom » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Are you getting the error trace? Please paste here. If not, turn on debugging and paste here.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

DickTurpin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DickTurpin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm in the same boat, I have articles with content, they showup on the menu but if you press the menu link you get an error 404 page show up.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 am

mcsmom wrote:Are you getting the error trace? Please paste here. If not, turn on debugging and paste here.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

DickTurpin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DickTurpin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 am

mcsmom wrote:
mcsmom wrote:Are you getting the error trace? Please paste here. If not, turn on debugging and paste here.
Thanks for getting back, I've enabled the logging as per the email instructions above and when I refresh the main page I get loads of text in the background of the page. When I check the 'logs' folder I don't see anything written, the file is empty. I am very new to Joomla and from what I have seen it is definatly the cms I need so it's likely I've missed something silly, I'm also not familiary with the error logging so I applogise if the information isn't what you requested.

When I click on one of the links the headding says 404 - Category not found. I have categories listed in the admin side.

I have left debugg setting enabled for now and the test site is at
http://www.mysticminds.co.uk/joomla

Thanks in advance

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Are you using the core multilingual function or JoomFish? The fact that you have some kind of multilingual feature enabled is an important piece of information that we now know for the first time.

Are you sure you marked the categories as en or All?
Are you sure the categories are published and if they are subcategories are you sure the parent categories are all published?

DickTurpin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DickTurpin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 pm

mcsmom wrote:Are you using the core multilingual function or JoomFish? The fact that you have some kind of multilingual feature enabled is an important piece of information that we now know for the first time.

Are you sure you marked the categories as en or All?
Are you sure the categories are published and if they are subcategories are you sure the parent categories are all published?
I've got all articles and categories states set to published. Unfortunatly I don't know about the multilingual function or joomfish. All I do know is that the cms is a clean install the only thing I have done is to upload a design which was made using the latest artisteer 3 program. The only thing I can think of is that joomla installer installed some kind of multilingual feature. I'll keep looking for the feature and try turning that off to see if that makes any difference.

DickTurpin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DickTurpin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

I've just found ' languageSwitcher' set to disabled in the module manager but it is the only multilingual item that I could find.

DickTurpin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DickTurpin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Ok I'm now getting used to the menu thinggy in the cms. It appears that it was user error setting up the menu links. I only found out by playing around and after watching a few tutorials on google. I just wanted to say a big thank you mcsmom for trying to help me out with the matter. No doubt I'll be back on the forum with some more problems.
It appears that there are some very big changes between 1.5 and 1.6 and there are very few video tutorials around for the latest version just yet.

malavya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by malavya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:40 am

I have been having a similar problem, but I'm not aware of making an error setting up the menu links. What was the error you made? Was it something obvious?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 am

@Dick
Check the plugin manager and see if the multilingual plugin is enabled.

DickTurpin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DickTurpin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 am

My error was that when I created the menu I should have selected from the menu:
Menus > {name of menu required to show up}> Add new menu item.
Then to fill out the form. I've created a screen shot attached to this post with some step by step instructions to help include articles to the menu. If you are making sub menus then you select the parent item field to specify it from the list.

I hope that this can be of help to many others as it was the help that I really needed.

Please note that if your menu is not displaying after that then you should check your template and the menu display settings which is a totally different thing. I am only a beginner to joomla myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

srijeet
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by srijeet » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 am

The problem occurs most of the time when SEO friendly URL's have been turned on in the global configuration , can you please turn it off and recheck it again ?

Regards,
Shree

NakedSenses
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NakedSenses » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 am

I am getting this error after just "hand-building" a 1.6 site based on a 1.5.22 (working ) site.
While I was deep in the rebuilding, the error location was identified as being here:

Here is the error message that appeared in a blank white browser window:
Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in
/public_html/j160cms/plugins/system/logout/logout.php on line 81
81: $this->loadLanguage();

An error message, "$this not defined outside of class" (or something like this) also appeared.
Now, after restarting, I get a "404category not found" error page and a link to "home".

If I attempt to access a "User Content" menu category, and then logout, I get the error.
If I simply login/logout, then no error occurs.
...just the facts
Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense. - Chingachgook

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Ok, NakedSenses this sounds like a different issue than what was going on in this thread.

What do you mean by restarting? Going to domain.com with nothing after it?
Can you please check your menus and make sure that you have a default menu item and that it is published and set to public access? Also what kind of link is your default link?

NakedSenses
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NakedSenses » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:19 pm

@mcsmom:

Thanks for the fast reply. I was concerned about the particulars of the issue
(in my case it's module-related), but I read a few threads and this did seem
relevant here to some reasonable degree due to the nature of the error in Logout.

By "restarting" I mean logging out of the website and the server/web host,
rebooting my computer, and logging back into the server/site (in that order).

The default menu item is "Home" in the Main Menu, which has not been altered.
Nor has the Login Menu been altered. I did create a "User Content Menu",
whose items are "Category Lists" (each menu item has 3 associated Categories,
i.e., four user names appear in the menu, and the categories of content that
they each can create appear when that user's name is selected on the User Menu).

The default link for Menu Item "Home" in the Main Menu is:

index.php?option=com_content&view=featured
"Home" is both "Published" and set to "Public".
(It has NOT been altered from the original installation of 1.6 in any way.)

I am a building a new (1.6-based) site based a working (1.5.22-based) site manually.
I created the User Content Menu (Registered), Categories (Public, Registered, and Special),
and then I manually copied the Articles (Public, Registered, and Special) over to the new
site and I also created new "Media files and folders" to support the published Articles.
(This was done in cPanel on the web hosting site.)

UPDATE: Monday, 14 Feb 2011, 5:00PM EST
If I click the link to "Home" first and then Log-out, all is well and no anomalies are observed.
If I attempt to Log-out directly while viewing an Article in a Category in the User Content Menu,
then the error reported occurs consistently. I have set all "permissions" to inherit but not all
"Permissions" settings displays can be activated (i.e., they appear as "inert" on the page).

If I should transfer this posting to another thread, or start a thread, I certainly will.
You help is much appreciated! :-)
Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense. - Chingachgook

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 pm

So you are logging out by clicking on the logout button in the module?

We can just keep it here, that's fine I think.

NakedSenses
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NakedSenses » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Thank you, I'm relieved to know that I chose an appropriate forum, more or less.

Yes, I am, to answer your question. And to be precise. I do the following:
Log-in with "my regular user name" (not as "Super User"). When the site
detects that a is user logged in, the "User Content" menu appears in position-7
and directly above the Main menu on every page. I then click on "my regular
user name" from the User Menu, and a list of three Categories appear. I select
a category and then a list of links to Articles appear. Then I select an Article
by clicking on its link, and the Article displays properly.

Then I click "Log-out" (I'm using the Beez_20 template in "nature & after content" mode)
under the Login Menu and I get a blank white browser page with the "Line 81 in ... index.php" message a standard black font. If I use the (FireFox) "back arrow" I get a Joomla! 1.6-looking
page stating that there is an error; where there should be an "error message" it is BLANK!

I do get a link to "Home" which works, and I find that I have been logged-out,
and all of the stored user names and their respective passwords have been
deleted from within the browser (I assume). My gut says that I'm seeing a
"security threat" response and that's very reassuring! :-)

My intuition suspects something somewhere in the ACL's (a feature I very much want!)
is not correctly working. I have manually set the "language" to "English (UK)" everywhere
and all USER Access Controls are set to "inherit" (i.e., there are NO manual overrides)
and the Article/Category/Categories "Globals" are all set to "show".)

Please Note: when accessing these settings, it is necessary to "refresh" the browser page
to get the display format to appear correctly. If often first appears as an overly-long column
that is not "well aligned" with regard the radio button form items. Attempting to "Save" without refreshing causes a blabk browser window to appear, and the back arrow is needed to return
to the original "Manager page" and all changes that may have been made are lost.

I hope that all of this is of some practical use. Please forgive my verbose style of exposition!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 am

Oh I wonder if it is taht you did the language settings. In doing that did you also enable the language plugin?

Do you have a logout set to redirect somewhere? (That's a setting in the login module itself). If you don't and you logout while on a page that you only have access to while logged in, you then rightly get the page not found error.
Try adding a logout redirect to the login module and tell me what happens.

NakedSenses
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NakedSenses » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 am

@mcsmom:
The language settings (all set manually where ever I saw a chance to go from "ALL" to "English the (UK) choice, seem to be entirely superfluous now. I did not even look at the language plug-in, per se. No changes were made in the "core" other a link in the footer to Joomla!

I have an "acid test" now: My issue is in "Article Options" vs. "Article Manager Options"

My "Home Page" content (individual) Article's (display) Options simply do not work.
If I set them all to "OFF/HIDE/(don't see)" it has no effect whatsoever on what I see:
Category, Author, Date, etc. all STILL DISPLAY, and "Log-out" works almost normally.

If I set the same controls to "OFF/HIDE/(don't see)" in "Article Manager Options"
then these little bits of information I don't want disappear, and Log-out DOES NOT work!

I can shoot screen shots if that will help to illuminate the issue. My Home Page content
is a single article in the "Uncategorised" (category) whose contents are a single image.
I believe I have a "smoking gun" now, unless I am badly mistaken.

It does not appear, to me, to be related at all to the "ACL" settings. I was wrong about that.
I can recreate this demonstration at any time. Please let me know how I can help.
Thank you again. :-)

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 am

Ok screen shots might help, but can you figure out ... actually can you show me shots of the settings for:
global content
the specific article
the menu link
settings for the logout module

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 am

Ok this is what I can confirm.
If I do the following:
Make the login module visible on all pages.
Do not set a logout redirect.
Login and go to the profile page.
Click the logout button.
I get a 404.

If I add a login redirect then I get the redirect.

I would call this a bug so I'm going to put it in the issue tracker.

NakedSenses
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NakedSenses » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:26 am

@mcsmom: Thank you very much. I have a zip file with 5 "screen shots".
I assume that "Global Content" and "Global Configuration: are synonymous.
I have included two versions of "Global Content": the screen first to appear,
which is followed by what appears after a "browser refresh" is performed.
The other three Item I believe I was able to identify correctly and capture.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 am

Oh by global content I meant the popup when you click OPTIONS in the article manager.

NakedSenses
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NakedSenses » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 am

@mcsmom:
Thank you for that clarification!
The best I could come up with was "Global Configuration" :-)
I sent you a PM with my master e-mail address, as I cannot attach files to the PM.

tias2001
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tias2001 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:17 pm

I Fixed this issue by UN-enabling the Apache mod-rewrite setting in global configuration..

;D

doushabu06
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by doushabu06 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:05 pm

I solved the same issue by disabling Adds Suffix to URL. You can find it in Global Configuration in the site tab.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”