Lets talk about the Joomla Cache

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Lets talk about the Joomla Cache

Post by wernejo » Thu May 07, 2015 12:48 am

the apprentice wrote:I'm running 3.4.1 too. I just didn't want to start a new thread as it's probably still relevant in current Joomla!.
Maybe I was a bit rushy to say it didn't make much difference, Google insight test now gives me slightly better results (74/100 for mobile and 53/100 for desktop), not great but a bit better than before.
What is the google insight test?

Could you possibly give us a quick overview of what it does and how it's helped your website?
Having a little description would be helpful for other people who are still learning about how to use the cache.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu May 07, 2015 1:06 am

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu May 07, 2015 1:12 am

It's nearly impossible to please this test. Run [youtube] through it and it fails. Show me any big site or complex CMS that doesn't have an issue. This is a pipe dream to pass this thing.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu May 07, 2015 1:14 am

Apple's site fails, Moz's site fails, Facebook fails, Wikipedia does OK on the desktop test. The real trick is to find one that does NOT.

wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wernejo » Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 am

So would you consider this a reliable test? or just googles way of making people jump through unnecessary hoops?

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu May 07, 2015 1:10 pm

I would say it's unrealistic. Even google.com doesn't get 100/100 except the mobile user experience.

My point is you will chase your tail trying to get all these things fixed and I don't even know if it's possible unless you have some tiny html page and that's not a reality now days.

I guess shoot for the green is all you can do.

red exclamation point Fixing this would have a measurable impact on page performance.
yellow exclamation point Consider fixing this if it is not a lot of work.
green check mark No significant issues found. Good job!

wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wernejo » Thu May 07, 2015 11:59 pm

How often do you update the website flashgordonweb? and do you have multiple admins working on the website at one time?

I'm also curious to hear from everyone if the number of visitors on a site increases or decreases the speed of which the cache is generated. Essentially you would want your website to make a cache quickly so it loads faster but if you have a high volume of traffic at a given point wouldn't that slow the website down? Everyone wants their website to be the fastest it can be but is a cache its own worst enemy on a website that requires regular updates? at what point do you need to reduce the cache life or even turn it off?

wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wernejo » Fri May 08, 2015 12:07 am

DaveOzric wrote:I would say it's unrealistic. Even google.com doesn't get 100/100 except the mobile user experience.

My point is you will chase your tail trying to get all these things fixed and I don't even know if it's possible unless you have some tiny html page and that's not a reality now days.

I guess shoot for the green is all you can do.

red exclamation point Fixing this would have a measurable impact on page performance.
yellow exclamation point Consider fixing this if it is not a lot of work.
green check mark No significant issues found. Good job!
I gave it a try the other day and ran one of my main websites through the check. I noticed that google didn't even render the preview correctly and gave me an average score.

I think its unfair to make one test that all websites need to pass in order to be considered user friendly or good. Google does come up with some good stuff now and then but I personally tend to ignore their tests because their are just too many different ways to make a website these days.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”