Intermittent "Database connection error (2)" errors

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Ericles
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Intermittent "Database connection error (2)" errors

Post by Ericles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey all,
Just spent 3 weeks manually migrating my J 1.5 site to 2.5 ... and then my web host decided to physically move us to a new server and now I have intermittent issues and I'm not sure if the problem is related to the version migration or the change in servers.

I'm occasionally getting "Database connection error (2): Could not connect to MySQL." errors. Only on one sub-domain however so I can't immediately rule out a Joomla config issue. What can I do for due-diligence on my end before blaming the host? Logs to inspect, settings to confirm... etc? I just don't want to move my business to a new host just to find out the problem was on my end all along. :-[

Thanks!

nearadmin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Intermittent "Database connection error (2)" errors

Post by nearadmin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 pm

I too, am seeing this error on a site that has been up a running for 6 months or more on the current ISP. Has happened 3 times since the 28th and each time it rights itself after a couple of hours. ISP points to an SQL SLOW limit 30 current value 30 thread 1995015 query - SELECT `data`. Site is at 2.5.9 with a limited number of users. Another, similar site, on a different ISP seems to be running fine. Does this scenario ring a bell with anyone?

Ericles
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Intermittent "Database connection error (2)" errors

Post by Ericles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 pm

This kind of error seemed more prevalent on sites running Joomlart or Rocket themes which both allow you to load endless modules into your main menu.
I've gotten my site back to some form of stability by removing about half of modules that were loading on every page. Others have been set to only load for registered members. I'm guessing our host is responding to the large amount of concurrent DB connections by blocking access. It is possibly a mis-configuration on their part so I'll follow up with that as well.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”