Nightmare for customers - multilanguage in Joomla 1.7

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
zevzev9
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Nightmare for customers - multilanguage in Joomla 1.7

Post by zevzev9 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 am

What do I want? I want to create multilanguage websites for my customers, teach them a bit so that they are able to maintain their website on their own. Is it possible for them to make changes in menus and articles in a multilanguage website in Joomla 1.7 ? Simply not ! When I saw a video where a Joomla 1.7 developer explained how to work with a multilanguage website, he corrected himself several times, it was complicated and time consuming also for him ! (Look at :http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=lc345Vnl7Xk - and big thanks to this guy)

I'm sorry to say that, because I can imagine how big effort has been done in this field in Joomla 1.7, but it's true. It's a too technocratic solution, where everything works fine, but it's miles away from a simple solution - and what must we make? Websites that are easy to maintain !

I'm a 51 year old Joomla developer, having been doing webistes for 20 years, Joomla websites for 10 years, so I know what my customers want. For multilanguage websites (sept.2011) I cannot use Joomla 1.7, but Joomfish for Joomla 1.5, because my customers can make translations easily from the frontend (also create menuitems and articles from frontend). They simply translate articles and menu items from one language to another. They don't need to know anything about e.g. menu item associations (Joomla 1.7) etc...

What I am dreaming about core Joomla for years ?
If I have a website with e.g. 3 installed languages, when I'm editing one article,
I want to see ONLY ONE PAGE with 3 blocks of wysiwyg editor (e.g. in tabs), one for each language. The example is very well done in Joomshopping, it is e-shop extension made by German. When I edit one product in such e-shop, in the website with e.g. 3 languages, I can see several tabs, one for each language, where I can make all translations - a perfect example how it could be done in Joomla core ! (Look at Joomshopping http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... -cart/5378 ). Likewise, if I'm editing one menu item, I want to see ONLY ONE PAGE where I can edit e.g. 3 menu titles, one for each language. Etc...

This is what would customers appreciate most, not Joomla 1.7 core solution. Do you agree ?

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Nightmare for customers - multilanguage in Joomla 1.7

Post by RussW » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:10 am

Joomla! IS multi-lingual capable and also has several language extensions to assist in this effort, each performs slightly differently.

Have you considered contributing code, documentation to the project to make this process "simpler" for yourself and your clients? I have several clients with multi-lingual sites and I certainly appear not to have had as many issues as you seem to have described.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 am

Joomla 1.6/1.7 is providing a multilanguage solution that was not provided in former joomla versions.
I would rather consider this as progress. As explained multiple times, the multilanguage functionality in 1.7 is a simple one for simple sites.

Although I doubt you provided joomla sites for 10 years ;) , you are welcome nevertheless to provide this type of solution in core with the right code.

Until we can include in the framework the "unified content", any non-core solution has to come from 3pds.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

zevzev9
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zevzev9 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 am

Thank's for reply.

I'm sorry, but object orientated programming in PHP is not exactly my cup of tea, so I use old fashioned program techniques :). Therefore I don't think it's a good idea to share my programs with the world... I hacked core Joomla only in 2 or 3 places. I know what must be in the database, and my programs change the database content accordingly.

My logic is to set up Joomla for customer so that he can make ALL COMMON TASKS from front-end (add menu item, change it, translate it, publish it, delete it, the same with articles).
Only if he has something special, like E-shop, user administration, etc., he has link from front-end to back-end.
Some screenshots of two demo websites: https://picasaweb.google.com/1148878708 ... 595/Joomla

What I want to say is: Joomla, I love you, but please change direction, because you are not going the right way! Keep it simple for developers and users !

hockey2112
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hockey2112 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:30 am

I have a website that needs multi-language support... US English and Spanish. I looked into the core 1.7 multi-language setup but couldn't get very far. I suppose I might be a little confused about what it actually does. Does it auto-translate the article? Or does it give me the opportunity to have two versions of a single article? If it does not auto-translate the article, is there such a solution for Joomla 1.7?

Thanks!

RedEye
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RedEye » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 am

zevzev9 wrote:My logic is to set up Joomla for customer so that he can make ALL COMMON TASKS from front-end (add menu item, change it, translate it, publish it, delete it, the same with articles).
Only if he has something special, like E-shop, user administration, etc., he has link from front-end to back-end.
Some screenshots of two demo websites: https://picasaweb.google.com/1148878708 ... 595/Joomla
The images for frontend looks good, is this self coded or an existing extension, if self coded you want share this with us maybe? ;)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 am

These are 1.5 sites using Joomfish.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Chabo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Chabo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 pm

I agree with the exemple of Joomshopping. It's probably the most powerfull way to work under Joomla. But in same time zevzev9, I don't agree with you. It's a learning process. So give them the time to do that in a futur version :)

But yeah, this could resolve almost all my problem with my client.

We just need to read the code of joomshoping. The code is very clear. So maybe someone can take a look of this and try to help the community.

Regards!
Mathieu

biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by biirc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:19 am

I, you can try Falang, i make it. A month ago it's a Joomfish like solution.

You can't see it in extension.joomla.org for now it's still in validation (validation start on 5 september ....)

http://www.faboba.com/composants/falang.html
Stéphane

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”