'Home' always appears before a language home

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

'Home' always appears before a language home

Post by john3710 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I've been trying 1.6.3 to set up a site with English(uk) & Chinese (Simplified) languages, and it is almost there except this: in the location a language home menu always appears after the 'Home' link. So for english it says You are here: Home > Home and for chinese it says You are here in chinese: Home > Home in chinese. In both cases, the Home is unnecessary.

This is what I have done:
- Installed Joomla 1.6.3 with no sample database installed
- Installed simplified chinese language pack v1.6.1 (latest but not v1.6.3. Updated: there is v1.6.3 at http://www.joomla.cn now)
- Added chinese content in the Language Manager
- Enabled System - Language Filter
- Created menus(not menuitems) for chinese and uk english
- Created two default Home menu items under the above two menus, each linked to the two languages
- Created and published two menu modules
- unpublished the menu module that is linked to the 'all' language

I have read/watched tutorials at http://docs.joomla.org/Language_Switche ... Joomla_1.6 & http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=2enpEbmFXXA. I have also read this document http://info-graf.fr/ftpfolder/IT-demo.pdf provided by Joomla! Master and think I have done all those steps as suggested. But still no luck.

My issue seems to be similiar to the one at http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=617&t=593608. However, having reading those points there still doesn't help me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
John
Last edited by john3710 on Sat May 28, 2011 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: 'Home' always appears before a language home

Post by imanickam » Fri May 27, 2011 4:14 am

Please provide your site URL so that others can review what is happening.

What you are mentioning is known as Breadcrumbs. Review the settings in the Breadcrumbs module. Check whether changing the values of the following parameters would help:

* Show "You are here"
* Show Home

If it does not help, check in the file index.php of your template. Most likely the word Home could be embedded in that.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Najatuk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Najatuk » Fri May 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Go to Module Manager > Module Breadcrumbs >Basic Options > Unselect "Show Home"
in that language.
Copy your template (if you haven´t done so) and in the chinese version change the word home to the word you desire and assign the template to your pages in simplifies ch.

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am

Thank both of you for the quick replies!

I didn't know about the term 'Breadcrumbs' :( . After following those suggestions, I have resolved the issue. Really like the way people in this forum are helping others. Thanks a lot!

Another issue. When I add a menu item/category/article for Chinese language, (after saving & closing) there are always TWO items displayed in the grid. These two actually have the same ID and they seem to reference the same item because whenever I delete/modify one the other gets deleted/modified as well. In the Languages Manager, there is only one chinese item on the Installed tab or the Content tab. BTW for English there is no such issue.

This duplicated display issue appears only in the backend and everything in the frontend is fine. It's ok but just a bit annoying. Is there any settings that can turn off the 'feature' or just did I do something wrong?

Najatuk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Najatuk » Sat May 28, 2011 2:02 am

That certainly sounds strange. All I can tell you is that I work with multilingual sites, but all in latin based languages and I have never encountered this issue. I would suggest that you post the issue in the language section of the forum. One of the moderators is one of the developers of the language support for joomla and he is very responsive even on the weekends, and if anyone can help, he can. What is your site address? Is it online?

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 am

It's weird but thankfully i uninstalled and reinstalled the language pack and the issue has gone now.

BTW, for those who'd be interested in chinese language packs, here are two websites: http://www.joomla.cn/ and http://www.joomla.org.tw/. I personally downloaded the latest simplified chinese language pack (v1.6.3) from the first website and it works marvellously!

My language issues for Joomla v1.6.3 have all been resolved now but there are a lots of things to learn.

Joomla seems to be a great CMS and thank the Joomla team for developing such a wonderful product!

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Wait, i've made a conclusion too earlier! My original issue('You are Here: Home > Home') is resolved when i deselect Breadcrumbs' "Show Home". However doing so results in another issue.

When i add one more menuitem which parellels with the Home menuitem like below
  • This Site
    • Home
    • Site Map
When i click on Site Map, the navigation shows 'You are Here: Site Map'. i'd expect it shows more 'You are Here: Home > Site Map', instead. (BTW, i believe that i have hooked up menu items correctly as i've installed a Joomla sample site and refer to it).

If i restore Breadcrumbs' "Show Home" to its default checked status, when i click on Site Map, i do get 'You are Here: Home > Site Map' (good). But i then get 'You are Here: Home > Home' (bad, an unnecessary home in the middle) when i click Home, which is my original issue in this topic.

If you played with a Joomla sample site, you'd notice that the feature i'm after is found there. But once a lanague pack is added and enabled, it seems to me that the navigation just behaves inconsistently & incorrectly. Whichever way i configure i just can't achieve a very simple yet standard navigational feature. What have I missed?

Can anyone help?

Najatuk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Najatuk » Sun May 29, 2011 3:27 pm

That is the way it works. I am not sure why. Those are your two options. The only other thing you could do is rename your home page to something else home > index home> frontpage something like that

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks.

Well, as i mentioned, if you installed the sample database you'd observe the navigation behaviour is quite normal and it is what i'd like to have. The issue happens only after i start implementing a mutlple language website. In my case, i use simplified chinese and uk english but i'd assume that the issue occurs for other languages as well; otherwise i may have done something wrong.

Perhaps i could dig into the code and try to modify it to work the way i like, but that's the very last thing i'd try.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 am

FYI, the breadcrumbs will work exactly the same way when used in multilang or monolanguage.

We had to correct a little bug in it, as it could not display the default "Home" in a language as existing in the default string, but that's all.
See: #$ [#25845] *Breadcrumbs never use the language string for Home
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=25845
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Najatuk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Najatuk » Mon May 30, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks Jean"

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks Jean. i will double check that again. if i still can't figure out how to resolve the issue myself, would be able to check for me if i give you a url?

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:48 am

i have checked this again and the breadcrumb issue i described above still occurs, and i can't get it resolved.

could someone help me out? i have set up a site to demonstrate the problem and its url is
http://joomla163.johntech.me with both login username and password being (without quotes).

(recap the issue: click on 'Home(uk)' and you get 'You are here: Home> Home(uk)', which is abnormal when you compare this with the Joomla Sample site; click on Site Map and you get 'You are here: Home > Site Map, which is correct)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:02 pm

I deleted the password you posted above.
No use to let this in public.

Corrected your breadcrumbs modules.
All is normal now.

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks for spending time helping me. However, the issue remains. Clicking on Home is ok now, but clicking the Site Map menu item, you don't get 'You are here: Home > Site Map, which is the problem i described above.

I have installed another instance of Joomla v1.6.3 with the sample database imported. It is in this url:
http://joomla163sample.johntech.me. If you'd click Home & Site there and observe the breadcrumb behaviour, you would notice the difference.

Basically i am after the breadcrumb behaviour found in the sample database, with two languages, of cause.

Could you help further?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I had setted it up for you as it should for multilang on http://joomla163.johntech.me/
just change the titles of the defaut home menu items for english and chinese.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john3710
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john3710 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks again. But i would think you have misunderstood the issues and please look at my previous posts.

Now you have fixed the issue for the 'Home' menu item, but when you click on the Site Map, you get 'You are Home: Site Map. I would like to get 'You are Home: Home > Site Map' (i.e. Home is missing here).

Basically i am looking for the exactly same breadcrumb behaviour as seen in the Joomla sample database. Now, the one you changed for me is different and i got this one before. That is why i mentioned the breadcrumb behaviour appears to be inconsistent in previous posts.

i really appreaciate your help, but what you've done so far for me hasn't resolved the issue.

crooijmans
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by crooijmans » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 am

Interesting post!

I have the same problem, and it is actually the same problem as on the example website http://info-graf.fr/trunk/en/ website.

Here you have on the English home page the following breadcrumb: You are here: Home > Home

On a English sub page: You are here: Home > Lewis Caroll

On the French homepage you have the following breadcrumb: Vous êtes ici : Accueil > Acceuil

On a French subpage: Vous êtes ici : Accueil Guillaume Apollinaire

Everything is set up exactly as in the tutorials and works as on the example website. When "Show home" is set to "NO" then, the first home in the breadcrumb on the homepage is removed resulting in showing only one "Home" (which we want).

Though when the "Show home" is set to "NO", the Home is removed everywhere, which is what we NOT want.

Is there a way to modify the breadcrumb mod in php to not shome the duplicate home?
For now I have set the breadcrumb not to be shown on the home page, but only on all other pages

Regards,
Rene

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Folks, there is no way to do that as of now.
If you make a patch, welcome!

We will try to look also into this.
It's not a priority issue.

ncarp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ncarp » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:05 am

Hi everybody,

I have done a workaround for this problem in breadcrumbs and I am sharing it with you.

1. copy the file /modules/mod_breadcrumbs/tmpl/default.php to /templates/[my_template]/html/mod_breadcrumbs/default.php (replace [my_template] for your template folder name)

2. edit /templates/[my_template]/html/mod_breadcrumbs/default.php and add the following lines after the for loop (in line 19 for joomla 2.5.4):

Code: Select all

// Workarround for duplicate home...
  if ($i == 1 && !empty($list[$i]->link) && !empty($list[$i-1]->link) && $list[$i]->link == $list[$i-1]->link){
    continue;
  }
This workaround solved my similar problem. I hope it could help you too.

Regards,
Nuno Carpentier

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 am

@ncarp

This patch looks good and as far as I tested has no impact on monolanguage sites.
Can you propose it by making a tracker in joomlacode?

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... er_id=8103

If you can't for any reason, please let me know, I will do it for you.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”