SEF adds "/Links/Categories" to url in Multilingual site=404

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dana9marie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SEF adds "/Links/Categories" to url in Multilingual site=404

Post by dana9marie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:44 am

Hi there,

I seriously need some help. I've posted about this and not received any response. I spent hours searching forums online and no one else seems to have the problem I do.

-I have recently set up the multi language function in Joomla 2.5.
-Everything is working well except that for any new menu item created after the implementation of the multilingual site, I get a 404 Error: Category Not Found
-If you look at the url, you will see that it has added "/Links/Categories/" before the name of the page.
-It doesn't matter what type of menu item, it could be a single article, category link, category blog, etc.
-When I turn off Search Engine Friendly Urls, it suddenly WORKS so it is somehow related to the SEF function
-However, turning off SEF is NOT an option.

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of. Including copying a link that was created previously and changing its article. I've created whole new menus. I've created categories, put new articles into categories, made hidden menus and created links to those articles... all kinds of things that might *trick* it to work, but NOTHING WORKS.

Please visit my site located here: http://ahtheli-offline.com.s133717.grid ... /index.php

Click on Contact, Contact99 or Frack for an example of the error.

PLEASE HELP? Thanks.

Dana-Marie

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: SEF adds "/Links/Categories" to url in Multilingual site

Post by infograf768 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 am

Which 3rd party extensions are you using?
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

dana9marie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dana9marie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:26 am

Re third party extensions, this website barely uses any. Just Akeeba Backup and a slideshow module basically.

dana9marie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dana9marie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 am

Okay, I was just going though the Plugin Manager and I noticed that the "System - SEF" had that little lock next to it. I clicked it to "Check in". A few minutes later I was testing my test links and suddenly all the links were working! WTF, I've been stuck with this problem for over a month and NOW it's suddenly working?

I am not crazy. But I think this Plugin being in the "checked out" state may be what was wrong. If that is the case, this needs to be documented somehow. If you've found this post because you had the same problem and then you subsequently solve that problem with this same fix mentioned here, please reply so that I can forever know that I was not crazy. And then perhaps the moderators and these lovely Joomla coder folks can look into it. Thanks.

Dana-Marie

dana9marie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dana9marie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:35 am

I've just done some fiddling around and determined what it was that ACTUALLY fixed my menu item. Somehow trashing and restoring the menu item is what fixed it.

To test this, I just created a new menu item, which naturally didn't work and was broken in the same way as before (ie had "Links/Categoies" in the url and went to a 404 page). Then I restored it, and it suddenly had the url it was supposed to have (without the "/Links/Categories/").

I'll add that when I tried to restore it from the trash from the list of menu items, it said "Cannot change the published state when the parent menu item is of a lesser state." so instead I opened the menu item and then I was able to change the state to Published and save it. When I refreshed my page, the menu item appeared first on the menu (it had moved to the top of the menu) and it worked perfectly. I then reordered it and was good to go.

I suppose for now I can just trash every new menu item I create and go in and republish it, but really, there should be a proper fix for this problem. Anyway, thought I'd share in case it can help some other poor soul in the future.

Dana-Marie

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”