List of Language Tags that are "in-use"?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
SloanThrasher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

List of Language Tags that are "in-use"?

Post by SloanThrasher » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi,

I'm creating a new language package, and I want to make sure I don't use a language tag that already is in use. I've searched for an official list of language tags, and can't seem to find one.

Does anyone have a link to such a list?

Thanks!!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: List of Language Tags that are "in-use"?

Post by imanickam » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 am

The language code is formed by the combination of two digit language code (from ISO 639-1 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes) and two digit country code (from ISO 3166-1 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2), with hyphen (-) in between the codes.

For example, for the language Tamil, India the language code is ta-IN and for the language code English in Australia is en-AU.

You can see the list of language packs available form the Translation community page (http://community.joomla.org/translations.html).

What is the language that you want to translate and to which country the language is associated with?
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

SloanThrasher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SloanThrasher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info. We need to add Malaysian (not Indonesian), and it's associated with several countries. Part of the problem is that there isn't a 2-letter code, only 3 letter codes for the language.

We don't actually need to do a real translation since our users will not see any of the Joomla interface items. We just need a language installed so it appears as a choice in the language switcher.

My concern is that as we continue to add languages via the "real" Joomla language packs, that ours isn't in conflict or overwritten.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:03 am

I do understand that there is no need for the clients/users to see the Joomla! interface messages in the native language. However, be informed that if you are using core Joomla! components that has forms (e.g., login, contact) the field labels and the help text would appear in English (not en-GB). So, depending upon your need, you may have to create the language pack.

As for as the language tag is concerned, if two digit code does not meet your requirement, you could try use the three digit code. For example, for Central Kurdish (Kurdish [soran]) Translation, the language code ckb has been used. As for as the country code is concerned, you could choose one of the user assigned codes from ISO 3166-1 Alpha 2 (e.g., ZZ, XX).

If you are preparing the language pack that is customized only for your need then there is no need to publish it as an accredited Joomla! translation. You can use it just for your site.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

SloanThrasher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SloanThrasher » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks so much for all the info. Obviously, I'm not planning on publishing it since it wouldn't be much use to anyone. I just want to avoid future problems when we install new languages, and your suggestions are very helpful!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:57 pm

You are welcome... Glad to be of help...

Probably you could take English-US (en-US) as a base to create your language pack.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”