Language tag in language switcher

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
vis22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Language tag in language switcher

Post by vis22 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 am

Our site is multilingual (7 languages) and everything works fine except for one thing in language switcher module.
In our settings we've defined that language tag (en) for default language is not shown in URL addresses. That works fine. However, if we use language switcher module to switch to another language and then wish to return to English language, this module will add language tag /en/ to URL. That means that we have double URL addresses for all content in English language, with and without /en/ tag, although we defined that tag should not be shown.
How can we resolve this issue and remove /en/ tag from URL addresses shown in language switcher module?

TheThingIs
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Language tag in language switcher

Post by TheThingIs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 am

Go to Extensions=>Plugin Manager=>Filter by System=>Edit 'System - Language Filter' Remove default language prefix => YES.

If you did everything else correctly it does work fine.
Make sure you have 2.5.6 installed.

vis22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vis22 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

I have already done that. As I've said all URLs are showing ok until I use language switcher module. Let me try to explain it again:

When you're going through our website, all URLs for primary language (which is English) are shown without /en/ language tag. When you switch to Italian or any other language, all URLs have /it/ language tag (which is ok). However, now when you want to switch from Italian back to English language, link on hover over UK flag in language switcher module shows URL with /en/ tag and that should not happen.

I'm asking how to prevent this module to show this /en/ tag - it seems that module ignores plugin setting for not showing primary language tag.

TheThingIs
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TheThingIs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Imho you should go through the steps of the multilingual guide and make sure everything is set correctly.

Also check that you have set the menus correctly to en-GB and that access is at Public level.

However ask a moderator to move this thread to the Multilingual board http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=617 so that someone else might check on this and give you further hints vis22.

vis22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vis22 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:26 pm

I've followed multilingual guide, all my menus are public and assigned to appropriate language.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Mod. Note: Relocated topic to the Language J2.5 forum.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 am

Hover will indeed show the Url Language code, but once clicked, routing is done and the code will not show anymore in the browser url field.
This is not a bug.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

vis22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vis22 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 am

You're right, I've noticed that language switcher module shows /en/ tag but it doesn't open URL with that tag. But, I still think there're problems with that module. Please see my question at http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=618&t=731117. Thanks.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”