[SOLVED] MENU issue

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dillydally
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[SOLVED] MENU issue

Post by dillydally » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Please can someone clarify for me as it all seems like it should work but I just cannot get the menu to display an item for ALL languages it just gives me a 404 error.

As I understood if I have an item and mark it for ALL languages and link it to the Menu in i.e. pt-PT but set the language as ALL then it should show up whether I add it to a menu in pt-PT or en-GB etc?

I've read everything I can find and tried everything I can imagine, even changing the categories to ALL ... yet I still have an issue. One thing is that I am using K2 for content ... could it be related to this?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it as otherwise I shall have to make 4 content pages for each item that should display in 1 language only.
:(
Last edited by dillydally on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: MENU issue

Post by infograf768 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:03 am

Try to set the menu item to the UI language, i,e
an article tagged to ALL in a category tagged to ALL, and also parent.
Add a menu item tagged to the language concerned in the menu displaying in that language, menu item linking to the article tagged to ALL.

If this does not work, then please contact K2 devs
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

dillydally
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: MENU issue

Post by dillydally » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Thank you very much for replying.
I actually muddled through another set of options and came up with the solution, so you've reminded me I wanted to post my solution in case anyone else had the same issue. I think my problem really came in because I had some menu items that needed to be in a language and some that needed to go to the default language and I've tied myself in knots with it. But if anyone else has the same issue hope this solution helps

Start with categories ... One for each language and one for ALL if some menu items/articles need to revert to the default language (thus only one file needs to be updated)
Articles ... Set the language for the article, if it is in the specific language then set it to that language if it is a default file then set it to ALL and set the category to ALL too
Menu ... Set up menus in each language and all your menu items need to state the language that it is in, i.e. English, Portuguese, Dutch, etc ... do NOT try to set a default item to ALL as it will not work.

Hope that helps anyone else.
Thanks again, once you get this right it works perfectly!

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”