Cannot change permissions of template folders or files.

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cannot change permissions of template folders or files.

Post by agondontor » Sun May 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi,

I have a fresh install of Joomla 1.6 on my website. All the basic requirements were met before installing. Everything works fine and the default templates work well also. I installed two templates I wanted to try out on the new site. They seemed to install successfully. I tried to change an image in the template only to discover it would not write to the template directory, neither could I overwrite the existing image. I went in to look at the folder and file permissions. When I tried to change any file permissions within the template I uploaded I would get the message: FileOp Failure on: /xxxx/xxxxxx/public_html/templates/yougrids/images: Operation not permitted

I tried to change permissions on my other downloaded template with the same result. I can change permissions on the default templates which came with Joomla just fine. It is only the templates I have uploaded that have this problem. I am concerned that any extension, template, component or module I install will have this problem. No matter how I gain access to the folders and files I am unable to change permissions on any file contained within the uploaded template folder.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Cannot change permissions of template folders or files.

Post by ranwilli » Sun May 08, 2011 9:01 pm

agondontor wrote:... No matter how I gain access to the folders and files I am unable to change permissions on any file contained within the uploaded template folder.
Does that include the file management utility on your hosting interface???
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sun May 08, 2011 9:45 pm

yes.

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sun May 08, 2011 9:48 pm

I have noticed other problems with Joomla 1.6. I can't change article options without crashing the administration interface. I am having numerous problems with 1.6. This is my third attempt at a website built on Joomla 1.6. These same issues keep coming up. I had to scrap the last two websites and start from scratch using 1.5. Looks like I will have to do so again.

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I have tried to use Joomla 1.6 three times now and my buddy who is hosted by Godaddy and had them install it for him tried twice and had the same issues and could not use the CMS. had to scrap them and install 1.5 to get a website built for his customer. I have spent two days fighting a CMS that apparently does not work. Is anyone actually creating working websites with 1.6?

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Has anyone been able to install Joomla 1.6 and then install a 1.6 template and have that template actually work?

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 am

I tried again on another domain. I checked all the site requirements and they check out fine. The 1.6 installed fine. I could not install a template without first changing all the folder permissions. After that it said it installed the template successfully. I tried to overwrite a background image to customize the look of the template only to find I am unable to change any permissions within the installed template folder. Not a single item within that folder is writable and I cannot change the file permissions on any item within the folder. It is virtually unusable. I think this is true of any extension or plugin or component I install on the website. Is there anyone else having this problem and how do I fix it?

Any help is appreciated.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 am

Have you tried enabling the FTP layer?
Stay ON the update path.

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:54 pm

ranwilli wrote:Have you tried enabling the FTP layer?
Thanks Ranwilli, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I notice that the 'Owner/Group" number in my FTP client is different for the templates I installed. What would cause them to be different and how do I change them?

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:36 pm

I think it might be time for a chat with your host...
Stay ON the update path.

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:01 pm

ranwilli wrote:I think it might be time for a chat with your host...
My server meets all the requirements listed on the requirements page for Joomla. All my Joomla 1.5 sites work just fine, and I don't have this problem with any of them. It only happens when I try Joomla 1.6. My friend tried this on his GoDaddy hosted accounts and he had the same problems there. And GoDaddy even installed it themselves for him. My domains are hosted on a virtual dedicated server from EboundHost out of Chicago. I once had EboundHost techs change the ownership of the template folders and they worked, but the minute I tried to add any new extensions or templates I was faced with the same issue all over again. What causes installed items to have a different owner than the original installation of the base Joomla installation? And how do I fix this?

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Best "fix" would be to consult with your host about making you an ftp account with the ownership that the installed set has. That way, the FTP layer would work for you.
Stay ON the update path.

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:14 pm

ranwilli wrote:Best "fix" would be to consult with your host about making you an ftp account with the ownership that the installed set has. That way, the FTP layer would work for you.
Because I have a virtual dedicated server account with EboundHost I am the host for my domains. I created the FTP account for all my domains the same way every time without problems until I tried Joomla 1.6. I had been uploading the files for installation via Filzilla FTP client like I have always done successfully with earlier versions of Joomla. I uninstalled and reinstalled by uploading from my cpanel instead and turned on FTP layer during the install process hoping to have the same ownership when installing templates. Unfortunately the result was the same. Essentially, I can't add anything extensions, plugins, or components to the base Joomla install without encountering the ownership issues. Do other joomla 1.6 users have this problem?

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:26 pm

I do not, but servers are set up LOTS of different ways...

Is there some reason you cannot explain this to the host and get them to address it?
Stay ON the update path.

agondontor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agondontor » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 pm

ranwilli wrote:I do not, but servers are set up LOTS of different ways...

Is there some reason you cannot explain this to the host and get them to address it?
I did so once before when I first encountered the problem. They changed the ownership for all the items in the uploaded template folder and it seemed to work for that folder but every time I wanted to add anything new like a plug in or a component I had the same problem.

I will try and reach them again and see if they have any other ideas on the matter. Perhaps I will get a different tech who may know what to do.

Thanks so much for your help.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”