Developer Logo-Free Templates

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
spcsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Developer Logo-Free Templates

Post by spcsjoomla » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 am

I am doing some volunteer work for a youth sports league. I need a very simple free template. It can have a logo or can be a solid color. Preferably it would allow me to choose which color(s) I want to use, use my own image for a logo, and allow me to edit the text in the header. Ultimately, it doesn't have to do any of that.... at minimum I am just looking for a template that does not force the developer's site/business name, the word FREEEEEEE or Joomla x.x in it. I am not trying to take credit for someone else's work, I am simply trying to layout a COMPLETELY commercial free site. Many template sites I have found has some great templates, but all of them force the developer's name and Joomla version in rather LARGE letters that can't be edited. Does anyone have a template site suggestion or a single template which does not force this info (regardless of how plain and boring the template may/may not be)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Developer Logo-Free Templates

Post by aemiller » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 am

What's wrong with using the Atomic template that downloads with Joomla? You are free to modify that in whatever way you wish.

spcsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcsjoomla » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 am

That would be ideal. I simply do not know how to edit it. I suppose a, "How to edit the Atomic template" is in order.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:45 am

Here's some documentation that I found helpful.

Learn Joomla Fast by Saurabh R. Bhide is a great tutorial for getting started in Joomla 1.5. This gives a very good overview of Joomla, tells how the various parts of Joomla all fit together and gives some solid steps to getting your first site up and running.

Note: This book is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License. This was published online at http://www.lagoona.in but that is no longer a valid link. I have now republished it at: http://alsweb.aembz.us/Learn_Joomla_Fast.pdf

Yes, I know that this is for 1.5 but for those new to Joomla much of the info is the same or similar. Beyond that, the free Joomla! 1-7 – Beginner’s Guide is available at: http://cocoate.com/j17 This book is fairly complete and has good solid material.

spcsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcsjoomla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks again, AEM! I purchased Joomla! 1.7 - Beginner's Guide but did not immediately find it to be what I was looking for. Less than an hour later I purchased Joomla! Explained: Your Step-by-Step guide and was pleased with every page. I confidently feel this book covered everything there is to know about site management (i.e. installation, hosting, articles, categories, modules, extensions, templates, etc). I feel very comfortable working around my project sites. However, understandably it did not cross over into the separate topic of, "building your own template." I have searched for books on that topic; however, have been uneventful. Any "best tutorials" or "books" anyone can direct me to would be great!

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Jim Yuzwalk has put together a very good tutorial that explains the basics of making a Joomla template

http://help.joomla.org/files/JJYs_Jooml ... _08_26.pdf

http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Creatin ... !_template

This info relates to 1.5 templates.

I have converted several sites to 1.7 (and now to 2.5). One way to do this is to start with a simple template - ie atomic. In that template, delete everything between your <body> </body> tags. Copy and paste into that space everything between your <body> </body> tags from your existing template. Delete all info in the template.css file and paste in the info from your existing template.css file. Update the templateDetails.xml file. Delete images in the template/image file and add your images.

There will still be other links, modules, etc that will still need to be updated, but this will give you some idea on where to start.

spcsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcsjoomla » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks, J!H.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:17 pm

You're welcome!

spcsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcsjoomla » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 pm

I just submitted a new topic/request for assistance if anyone would like to take a gander. http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=629&t=698262

piters
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by piters » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 pm

There will still be other links, modules, etc that will still need to be updated, but this will give you some idea on where to start.Image

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”