Joomla auto-update overwrites Beez-20

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Pzz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla auto-update overwrites Beez-20

Post by Pzz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:39 pm

I played a bit with Beez-20, and of course I did the auto-update to 2.5.4.... And then my lay-out was gone.

Of course I had a backup, but aren't templates to be considered as "user-files"? Even if they where shipped with the full-version?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla auto-update overwrites Beez-20

Post by imanickam » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Anything that came with the Stable Full Version of Joomla! (e.g., templates, modules, plug-ins, libraries, and so forth) are susceptible to change if there is an issue with them.

Good to see that you have a back-up.

I would suggest a two step approach:
(a) Compare the version of the file you had previously (before you made changes) to the current version of the file and note the differences
(b) Check whether the differences from step (a) could be incorporated in the version of the file that contain your changes.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Pzz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pzz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm

I could copy the beez-20 folder and be able to use it as a new template... That would solve future problems like this. Of course it's always good to check if something has changed in the original and why.

This copy idea will work? For the template and the style? Or are there any files who also have to be changed because the foldername did. Mayby some XML-files?

Thanks.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Anything could change.

Review of the discussion http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=707420 could be of help.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”