Is there anyone to help me building a joomla template?

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bianca82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Is there anyone to help me building a joomla template?

Post by bianca82 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I 'll try anyway.
I need to build a very simple joomla template, is there anyone willing to help me?
I only need the structure done, it's only few pages... I would like this kind of navigation http://www.daveprosser.co.uk/ (I know thre are images t the bottom, but if it;s too complicated we can just don;t put them)
I am a student so i don't have a very small budget. If you are interested please let me know!
Thanks

matt777
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Is there anyone to help me building a joomla template?

Post by matt777 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm sorry i really dont think you are going to get any response to the question. Most none professional programs such as my self dont have the knowledge or time to sit through design a template. Most professional designers are never going to do any thing for free. I am sure if you did enough reading up on how to customise the Joomla template you will be able to do it fairly quick (when i say quick i mean as quick as me, which is probably a couple of days). Personally if you are a newbie i dont know why you would want to create your own template. There are many free templates or templates that come with the standered Joomla installation, that can either be easily customized. Plus if you do not wish to use the module positions, the module positions will not show up on the template. So i would say the best solution is to use one of the free templates and make a few basic customized changes to it, instead of waiting for someone to do it for you.
Eastern Odyssey | http://www.easternodyssey.com The Definitive Guide to Asia

bianca82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bianca82 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks very much for your reply,
Well the fact is that a lot of Joomla templates are so complicated and what i want is instead very minimal and simple.

I don;t want it for free, but yeah I understand what you;re saying. Thanks :)

matt777
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by matt777 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:27 pm

If you want basic then use something like Beez_2 which comes with the standered Joomla installation. However, most of these templates are not that hard to set up if you no what you are doing. All it is, is the basic setting in the template manager. If you want to customise the template any more such as the css or php then it gets far more complicated. The new template i added to my site a couple of days ago only took me 1 day to set up and most of that time was spent resizing the banner images.
Eastern Odyssey | http://www.easternodyssey.com The Definitive Guide to Asia

bianca82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bianca82 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah I ve seen Beez_2 , but i doubt that i will manage to do a website structure like the one I have shown above.
Thanks anyway for your help, I think I will have to ask some webdesigner to make the template for me :) I think once I will have the template set up I will be able to update my self in joomla
Thanks!

DesignerDon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DesignerDon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi,

I think I can help. Can you tell me more about what you had in mind?

-Don

bianca82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bianca82 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Don!

I just managed to migrate to Joomla 2.5 by my self :) and I had a go at doing various things... I think I a starting to understand how it works! :D
I would like to build something simple like this:
http://www.juliapott.com/

A menu on the left with the logo on the top, the article at the top, and the thumbnails at the bottom which actually are linked to that menu on the left.(If the thumbnails will be too complicate to do I will just not bother)

I was thinking to do it from a blank template... what do u think?

DesignerDon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DesignerDon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 am

Hi bianca82,

That would be a good start. You can use that as a starting point. What I usually do is create a static version of the site/template and then start the conversion process. I re-save the file with the php extension. I then copy the top portion of another template up to the closing head tag. After that I replace the content in between the div tags with <jdoc:include >'s statements. Then I edit the templateDetails.xml file to reflect what I used in the <jdoc:include >'s statements name attribute and I also update the file structure of the template. Since I design the static site/template first I already have the css done for the most part. I just need to make sure my template points to it.

There is more you can do but this should get you started. :D

-Don

bianca82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bianca82 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:49 am

Hi Don,

Thanks so much for helping me out! I am not sure about what you have written because I am very new to this, but I will figure it out and I will let you know!

THANKS!!!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”